FME-7 and SUNSOFT 5B are different?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: FME-7 and SUBNSOFT 5B are different?

Post by lidnariq »

tepples wrote:Likewise, it's possible to have the chips ignore certain enable signals output by the mapper by playing with how the signals are routed on the PCB.
byemu wrote:The circuit of Batman and Gremlin 2 on prg is exactly the same.
Looking at http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=3145 and http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=3805, I have to agree: The portion of the PCB dedicated to PRG does not differ.
byemu

Post by byemu »

lidnariq wrote:
byemu wrote:Batman (5a) can't bank anything to 6000~7fff (no sram on this game)
Gremlin 2(5a) can bank prg-rom to 6000~7fff (be marked as 5b in "NES Cart Database")
So you're saying that two different cartridges, both with a Sunsoft 5a, respond to writes to register 8 differently?

Is it correct to say that the Batman cartridge is entirely ignoring writes to register 8?

Does Gremlins 2 pay attention to the top two bits of register 8? (In other words, can it ever not map prg-rom in?)
Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying.
Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 »

A bit Offtopic, The Title of this thread has a typo, It's SUNSOFT, not SUBNSOFT

Also, This is getting more interesting!
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.
byemu

Post by byemu »

Hamtaro126 wrote:A bit Offtopic, The Title of this thread has a typo, It's SUNSOFT, not SUBNSOFT

Also, This is getting more interesting!
I corrected the title!
byemu

Post by byemu »

byemu wrote:my research for mapper 69

Code: Select all

name                    prg-size chr-size mapper can bank to 6000 bank-sram  other
Barcode World           128      256      FME-7  no               yes 
Batman                  128      128      5a     no               unknow
Dynamite Batman         128      256      FME-7  unknow           unknow     8k-sram
Gimmick!                256      128      5b     yes              unknow     ex-sound
Gremlins 2              128      256      5b/5a  yes              unknow
Hebereke                128      128      FME-7  unknow           unknow
Dodge Danpei            128      256      FME-7  yes              unknow
Dodge Danpei2           256      256      FME-7  unknow           yes
Pyokotan no Dai Meiro   128      128      FME-7  unknow           unknow            
sunsoft 5a can't bank any to 6000~7fff?
sunsoft 5b can bank prg to 6000~7FFF?
sunsoft fme-7 can bank prg to 6000~7FFF and can bank sram to 6000~7fff?
update:
1 mapper 69 can bank sram or prg at 6000~7FFF,but can't bank them at the same board!
make a flash cartridge with kazzo's way, the flash /ce need connect to fme-7(5a,5b)(if you want to bank it to 6000~7fff)
2 This board has the Timing Problem,so some flash can't use here(only a few 29 series can work perfect)
alphamule

Post by alphamule »

lidnariq wrote: It would be interesting to know, since you've got the sockets already, whether pseudoregister 8 still drives lines PRG ROM A13…A18 according to the latched value when it's configured to RAM. (in other words, it would be nice to know if the musing on the wiki about bankable prg-ram is true or not)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12467&start=0
Idealogical
From: I have an idea. It seems logical. Thus everyone must agree.

Fail, fail, fail again. Keep trying, then maybe this damn thing will work. Eventually you might even know why it worked.
l_oliveira

Post by l_oliveira »

byemu wrote: 2 This board has the Timing Problem,so some flash can't use here(only a few 29 series can work perfect)
The problem could be the flash /WE pin. Original pinout has the pin connected to one of the mapper address pins and the mapper tend to drive it low, cause the flash to enter write mode and depending on what happens when the CPU crash might even corrupt what is written on the flash.

We recently tested the mapper capability for $6000 region and it could use as much as 128KB of RAM there.
byemu

Post by byemu »

l_oliveira wrote:
byemu wrote: 2 This board has the Timing Problem,so some flash can't use here(only a few 29 series can work perfect)
The problem could be the flash /WE pin. Original pinout has the pin connected to one of the mapper address pins and the mapper tend to drive it low, cause the flash to enter write mode and depending on what happens when the CPU crash might even corrupt what is written on the flash.

We recently tested the mapper capability for $6000 region and it could use as much as 128KB of RAM there.
Thank you very much!
I found "AM29F002NT-120PC 9830MBM J @1996 AMD" on a batman cart is OK(not need a 7400).
But other Am29f002 are not ok.
krzysiobal

Re: FME-7 and SUNSOFT 5B are different?

Post by krzysiobal »

I've just do a Gimmick Repro out of Barcode World (FME-7), without desoldering SRAM chip (gimmick banks PRG-ROM at $6000-$7fff)
http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=1543

and it works without problems so saying that FME7 cannot bank ROM at $6000-$7fff is not true.
BTW. I am having this cartridge for a few days so if anyone wants any special FME-7 tests then feel free to ask.
l_oliveira

Re: FME-7 and SUNSOFT 5B are different?

Post by l_oliveira »

krzysiobal wrote:I've just do a Gimmick Repro out of Barcode World (FME-7), without desoldering SRAM chip (gimmick banks PRG-ROM at $6000-$7fff)
http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=1543

and it works without problems so saying that FME7 cannot bank ROM at $6000-$7fff is not true.
BTW. I am having this cartridge for a few days so if anyone wants any special FME-7 tests then feel free to ask.
I don't know why you saw a problem with that. The ROM and RAM have separated chip enables, both generated by the FME7 chip. When a ROM region is selected in the banking register, the RAM isn't activated by the FME-7 chip, we having the ROM activated instead. That was never thought to be a problem.