Tool: MapEd Pro

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

thefox

Post by thefox »

65024U wrote:Sorry if I sounded like that, but depending on such items to be on a users PC is probably a bad idea (and makes me mad because M$ makes crap software)
Ehhh? So it's Microsoft's fault that people don't ship the necessary libraries with their program? AFAIK VB6 even comes with an installer builder that can automatically detect the dependencies.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

never-obsolete wrote: I got to thinking about pointers to screens/rows in compressed maps. How would you relay the starting and stopping points to the assembler?
I'm really sorry but I don't understand your question.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
tepples

Post by tepples »

In a compressed map that is decompressed screen-by-screen rather than whole-thing-to-WRAM, there needs to be some way for the program to quickly find each page as the camera enters it.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Yeah, therefore my point of having it compressed screen by screen (or row by row in the case of an area type map) and have a pointer on each screen/row.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

I was thinking about it too a while ago. IMO, It seemed just to make one whole map that was lets say 255x255. Then have the RLE compression for each row be in a array of RAM that kept track how many in X place are done out of the RLE repeat byte. I know it's wasteful, but it seems the easiest way to me. :/

And yeah, so? Nobody needs Microsofts binaries for anything, theres more then one graphics library out there. 0_o
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

65024U wrote:And yeah, so? Nobody needs Microsofts binaries for anything, theres more then one graphics library out there. 0_o
Let's explain it another way. If you make an application in Java, you need the java runtime (JRE), right? Another example, if you make an application in .net, you need the .net runtime (.net framework), right?

If you follow where I'm going, if you make an application in VB6, it does require a runtime, the VB6 runtime libraries. It's not a graphic library, it's the runtime to make the application run.

As for graphic library, many of them will require some dll to be delivered with the application.

So the point is, if you don't deliver with your application the required runtime or library or don't explain which one is required for you to download, it will be hard to use the application isn't it? So I'm not sure what your point is about.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Okay I am following you now, but something that would just be plain C and a graphics library that works in Mac and Linux would even better. :D But oh well, I guess mac users are out of luck. :/
clueless

Post by clueless »

65024U wrote:Okay I am following you now, but something that would just be plain C and a graphics library that works in Mac and Linux would even better. :D But oh well, I guess mac users are out of luck. :/
I would expect "wine" to work on an Intel based Mac. I have never tried it though. My Mac is a Mac LC-II running system 7.5.3 with an Apple IIe card (although I can swap that for a 10mbit ethernet card).

http://www.winehq.org/
Yggi

Post by Yggi »

Ever heard of "Jabaco"? It's a (free) Basic programming language which is almost full compatible to Visual Basic 6.0 (a few changes are needed afaik), but compiles your code to java-byte-code, so it works on a lot of operating systems... :)

btw, hello. i'm new to nesdev :D
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Welcome! :D

Java? Interesting...
infiniteneslives

Re: Tool: MapEd Pro

Post by infiniteneslives »

The downloads appear to be broken... Does someone have a copy to repost, or fix the original link?
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
never-obsolete

Post by never-obsolete »

Hmmm...the host must be down again. I'll upload it somewhere else this evening when I get home from work.
. That's just like, your opinion, man .
never-obsolete

Post by never-obsolete »

Sorry for the delay. Here's an updated version and the changes are:

-edit/import palette definitions (*.pal files used by emulators)
-"wide" view for laptops
-pointers to rows/columns/screens when compressing map data
-some RLE variations (thanks Bregalad)
-some bug fixes

When you compress map data in blocks, the editor spits out another file (*.mpt) with a list of pointers in this format:

Code: Select all

.dw $_ptr + #
where '$' is the map file title and '#' is an offset into the map data. In theory, it supposed to work like this:

"main.asm":

; main pointer table to each list of pointers
mapdata_ptrlo:	.db <m00_blkptrs
mapdata_ptrhi:	.db >m00_blkptrs

; pointers to each "block" of data
m00_blkptrs:	.include "map00.mpt"

; the actual map data
map00_ptr:	.incbin "map00.map"
"map00.mpt":

.dw map00_ptr + 0
	.dw map00_ptr + 4
	.dw map00_ptr + 11
	; etc...
The goal was to be able to edit your maps without having to make changes to pointers or code.

edit: see first post for link
Last edited by never-obsolete on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
. That's just like, your opinion, man .
Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 »

My Screen Resolution is too small to use the map editor (1366x768 Laptop screen), Can you do some adjustments for use at least in 1024x600 res or at least let the user choose resolution settings?

EDIT: I Must Read before talking... Sorry!
Last edited by Hamtaro126 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Thanks for relinking this and the updates!
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers