Ignored words when searching

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

tokumaru

Ignored words when searching

Post by tokumaru »

Why are certain common words ignored on searches? Many times since the migration of the forums I have had trouble searching for threads/posts just because certain words are filtered out. Even though the words are common, they can be used with other (common or not) words to form not-so-common combinations. For example, I can't search for anything related to sprites (sprite cycling, sprite corruption, sprite animation, etc.) because the word "sprite" is ignored.

Because of this, I often have to try hard and remember other things (not necessarily related to the information I'm after) that might have been mentioned in a thread I'm looking for just so I can find it. I can only do this because I was around when the thread was made and have read it before, but what about new users? They can't do that, they rely on a search mechanism that doesn't ignore words that can form unique combinations with other words.

Can we reconsider some of these filtered words?
tepples

Re: Ignored words when searching

Post by tepples »

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I haven't tried, but it's kinda lame that we need an external tool for searches when our own software is able to do it. This solution is also very counter-intuitive.
blargg

Post by blargg »

Oh the irony. I search for "hit" and I get 1688 matches. I search for "sprite hit" (with search for all terms checked) and get the same number of matches. The system's explanation is that it helpfully omitted "sprite" because it's such a common word and would therefore cause excessive matches. Except that as you say, this is a narrowing search, and thus it would reduce the number of matches. Total retardation.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Exactly. And your example is perfect: it's practically impossible to search for info on sprite hits.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

I'm not sure what can be done about this, honestly. Expecting a piece of forum software to have the same logic and "smarts" as a major search engine is unreasonable, though I do understand where you're coming from (re: usability).

We're limited to what you see in the below screenshot. There's absolutely nothing else we can adjust/change. That's just how phpBB is.
Attachments
search.png
tepples

Post by tepples »

Near the bottom is a "Common word threshold". Perhaps a certain soft drink made by Coca-Cola is in the top 5 percent, and the value needs to be lowered and the index rebuilt.
thefox

Post by thefox »

tepples wrote:Near the bottom is a "Common word threshold". Perhaps a certain soft drink made by Coca-Cola is in the top 5 percent, and the value needs to be lowered and the index rebuilt.
Or set the value to 0 (may or may not need rebuilding of the index), and see if there's really a performance hit big enough to warrant changing it back to value greater than 0.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Tepples et all are welcome to change this if they want. I have no idea of what the repercussions performance-wise or database-wise (e.g. craploads of rows resulting in a gigantic table, SELECT queries taking a long time (no idea if they use INDEXes), etc...).
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Ah, so the common words are automatically detected by the software... This is kinda stupid, some of these common words are crucial to make searches meaningful.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

sprite sprite sprite sprite sprite!

Now you'll never find them! MUA HA HA HA HA HA! :twisted:
picccca

Post by picccca »

No posts were found because the word ciclone is not contained in any post.
No posts were found because the word 10nes is not contained in any post.
No posts were found because the word 3195 is not contained in any post.
This can't be right either.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I cleared the index, set the stopword threshold to 1%, and rebuilt the index. It may take a few hours, or it may have been killed by a max_execution_time restriction on the web server. WhoaMan might be the best one to troubleshoot this.
thefox

Post by thefox »

tepples wrote:I cleared the index, set the stopword threshold to 1%, and rebuilt the index. It may take a few hours, or it may have been killed by a max_execution_time restriction on the web server. WhoaMan might be the best one to troubleshoot this.
Hmm, shouldn't it actually be set to a higher value? If I understand the wording right, the meaning is "if the word is contained in over 5% of all posts, it will be regarded as common (and ignored)", so 1% would actually regard more words as common.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

My bad, I thought it was the top 5 percent of words, not words in over 5 percent of posts. I was confused by "Set to zero to disable". I'll rebuild the table again.