It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 am 

Code:
I still think the best possible approach is game-specific, as then the emulator can utilize the specifics of the game state in order to generate the appropriate graphics independently from the original tile-based approach. This would also allow the approach of using a completely different method of rendering, such as the 2.5D idea I mentioned. I'm not even sure how much more work it would be to do something like this as opposed to a generic "high-res tile" approach, although the latter would be easier for non-programmers to implement (but also more limited). For example, I'd love to see a SMB emulator that renders the graphics in the style of NSMB, but running the original game logic so all the known bugs would still be present (hat stomp, mushroom jump, wall anti-ejection, world 36). This would also present an interesting situation where existing TAS movies could be replayed on such an emulator to present a new and fresh look to something that is already very entertaining from a gameplay perspective.

I too have thought about this idea from time to time... but while it is an intriguing concept, both the effort involved and possible support it would gain make me question the success it might have. The main problem is the fact that you already mention: that the best possible approach is game specific. What we are really talking here is not really extending an emulator with some extra functions, but more about putting an emulator inside a highly flexible game engine having support for high-level scripting and all sorts of 3d content management. A creative artist retracing blocky graphics to bigger resolution sis a fairly simple task, but for this you would need a programmer with the knowledge, time and motivation to reverse engineer the NES *and* 3d graphics artists that can provide him/her with content for the sophisticated 3d engine.

I'm not saying it can't be done... but if anyone feels up to the task, I really think that the NES emulation part will be the very *least* of the troubles, so with all respect I kind of doubt this is the right forum to gather support for such a project. Better look around in general game programming forums for people who'd fancy doing truthful HD remakes of NES games.

Also, I'd say a multi-emulator system such as MESS would be a more likely candidate to shove into a modern 3d engine than any of the NES emulators discussed earlier, since that would give a bigger target audience and really, emulating the hardware perfectly is by definition not necessary. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:08 am 

I also once had this idea. Rice's plugin does something similiar for n64, it dumps textures to a folder -those can be edited and then get loaded when you run the game.

Raine emu also does something similar with a few arcade games.

If something like this could be applied to nes, maybe an emu with a tile dumper, then when the game loads it uses those tiles.

Maybe take it another step and 2x the tiles, and adjust the screen w/h. Having tiles 2x in size would really make it easier to make amazing looking edited sprites.

Possible? what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:28 pm 

net44 wrote:
I also once had this idea. Rice's plugin does something similiar for n64, it dumps textures to a folder -those can be edited and then get loaded when you run the game.

Raine emu also does something similar with a few arcade games.

If something like this could be applied to nes, maybe an emu with a tile dumper, then when the game loads it uses those tiles.

Maybe take it another step and 2x the tiles, and adjust the screen w/h. Having tiles 2x in size would really make it easier to make amazing looking edited sprites.

Possible? what do you guys think?

Welcome Net44!

I think it would be perfect if all hi-res images could be stored directly into modified NES ROMs (instead of having them as separate bitmap files on a folder).
HiSMS emulator creates ROMs in a specific format (.hms) that put everything in a single file. It's amazing.

I keep hacking Master System games to high definition (like http://youtu.be/XrqNfv3qiHA and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeegmIt03nM ) mostly because there's no (easy) way to do it to NES titles.