NES Sprite Animator

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

johnnystarr

NES Sprite Animator

Post by johnnystarr »

I haven't been able to find any utilities that allow you to see your .chr sprites animate.
I am in the middle of developing the sprites for my main character. I have an idea of what
it will look like, but I think that development would be more rapid if I could "see" it in motion.

Of course, I could write a demo that alternates between frames on a timed interval, but I don't
want to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.

What methods do you use? Are there any applications that do this?

Thanks
Shiru

Re: NES Sprite Animator

Post by Shiru »

I have an idea to add meta sprite editor functionality into NES Screen Tool - one that would allow to align sprites arbitrary with arbitrary palettes. Animation could also be considered. Not sure how it going to look, though, certainly a separate window.
thefox

Post by thefox »

One way to achieve this is to not edit the CHR data directly, but instead use some other tool like GraphicsGale, ASEPRITE, etc to do the animation, and then convert the results to CHR using some automated tool (like Tilificator), or manually.

That said, a metasprite editor like what Shiru is talking about would certainly be welcome.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

If you paste graphics onto multiple layers into GIMP, you can do Filters > Animation > Playback.
Bananmos

Post by Bananmos »

a bit offtopic perhaps, but how do you even create a single-pixel brush in GIMP nowadays? I struggled with this a few days ago without any success, and Google results didn't give much help.

As for sprite animation, I've succesfully used Pro Motion for creating animations and Tilificator for making them into tiles.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Bananmos wrote:a bit offtopic perhaps, but how do you even create a single-pixel brush in GIMP nowadays?
Ctrl+Shift+B then click Circle (1). Make sure you use the pencil tool and not the brush tool.
Bananmos

Post by Bananmos »

Tried that, but no Circle brush exist to be selected. And trying to create a 1-pixel one myself fails miserably as it always ends up affecting more than one pixel no matter which settings I choose. Feels really silly not being able to do something as fundamental as changing individual pixels in a paint program...

Using GIMP 2.8.2 on Xubuntu.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I'm on GIMP 2.6.12 on Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. I've never tried GIMP 2.8.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

johnnystarr wrote:I haven't been able to find any utilities that allow you to see your .chr sprites animate.
I have had it on the list for NESICIDE for over a year. Concept is complete...just need to find the time to implement. Unfortunately the graphic that depicted the concept has been lost...unless hyarion has it somewhere.

Basically the concept was a pattern editor at the top with a "roll of film" below it that you could drag patterns onto and watch them animate. Shouldn't be terribly hard to do, I just haven't done it [yet]. I've already done the tile editor...so it's partly done already.

I've been focused [recently] on porting FamiTracker to Qt. 8-)

Yes, I know there's a partially complete port of FamiTracker to Qt already...I'm "rolling my own".
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

To get a 1 pixel brush in Gimp 2.8, I click pencil, then I click on the brush shape (big square in the "tool options" pane), for me the second brush was a little dot, it's called "1. Pixel". Finally there is a "size" field just below, change that to 1.00, and you should be able to draw hard pixels.

I also recomend going to preferences > tool options, and telling it to save the tool options on exit so you don't have to do this every time.

For other tools like the eraser, some of them have individual options for anti-aliasing or hard edges. Eraser has a "hard edge" option you want to turn on, for example.
Bananmos

Post by Bananmos »

Problem is there isn't any "size" field AFAICT, only a "spacing" field which doesn't seem to be the same. Choosing to edit the brush brings up lots of different parameters to play with, but none of them seem to achieve the goal of only changing a single pixel. And yeah, I'm using the Pencil tool.
Attachments
gimp_brushes.png
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Moveo ut of t he brush editor and move it to 1 size. If that doesn't work, you screwed your settings somehow as that should work by default.
Bananmos

Post by Bananmos »

There isn't any "size" setting to be found anywhere AFAICT.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

This is how it looks on mine:
gimp_pixel_brush.png
Every tool has a tool options pane (different from the brush editor pane). The pencil tool has a size option. If you click on the picture of the brush, it opens a brush selector (the second image), and that picture should show where to find the pixel brush.
Last edited by rainwarrior on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bananmos

Post by Bananmos »

Thanks rainwarrior! I know learned the power of the tool options dialog, and can finally draw single pixels. Sorry for not reading your first reply carefully enough :)