Please try my NES emulator HDNes

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

mkwong98

Re: Please try my NES emulator HDNes

Post by mkwong98 »

I'm making one for SMB as a test.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

X-or wrote:don't be a fag, play nes like a man, play nes at nes resolution, period

all these silly filters are plain fugly in addition of being untrue to the real nes experience
I might say "agreed", but that's NOT the purpose of this emulator, so... you're history.
beannaich

Post by beannaich »

X-or wrote:don't be a fag, play nes like a man, play nes at nes resolution, period

all these silly filters are plain fugly in addition of being untrue to the real nes experience
Yes, because that hasn't been done to death. There's literally hundreds possibly thousands of NES emulators existing in some form or another. I think it's cool that he's trying something new. Also, this isn't a "filter" ala HQ2x, it's a method for replacing graphics using graphics packs. Also, some of us may take offense to the word "fag" being used in a derogatory manner. I would suggest not posting again unless you have something constructive to say. Thanks.
X-or

Post by X-or »

You didn't tell me anything I didn't know, I'm just saying playing nes with so called "enhanced" graphics is just pointless. If you want to enhance a game, then enhance its gameplay, not just its graphics, rebuild it entirely from scratch. Changing just the graphics is entirely vain.

And btw you're one thousand years too young to lecture me little padawan.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I'm so disappointed that you guys couldn't resist feeding it.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

The flames and namecalling (I would classify it as trolling) needs to stop. If I see it happen again I will be temporarily suspending accounts.

Folks are free to have an opinion, and X-or's opinion is fine (I actually share his opinion on this matter, just not so rudely), but there's absolutely zero point to showing up in a thread with the sole purpose of starting shit with people. The last thing this forum needs is trouble of this sort, as it often today escalates into something much worse. Please don't let that happen.

Consider this a public warning.
X-or

Post by X-or »

Big deal! *panicking*

But yes I must admit it was pretty rude. I guess I overreacted after seeing yet another one (the straw that broke the camel's back) of these annoying "emulation" news about some vainglorious graphic filters. I did not come to just start shit, I'm stating my opinion and reacting to this long filtering trend, is all. No trolling there, just different opinions stated a bit roughly, I you can't take that, you need to man up a little.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Okay, I downloaded hdnes.7z and attempted to run the BombSweeper game, but all I get is a black screen. I tried unchecking the graphics pack option to see if that was the problem, but it's still black. I can hear sound in response to my kepresses so I know the game is running, but I can't see anything. (I tried some other ROMs, same problem.)

Anyone else have this problem?
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

I think X-or is focusing on the NES part of emulation and I'm focusing on the game part of the emulation.

Maybe I should say this from the very beginning: I make this emulator for fans to express their love for their fav games. Some people do this by speed running the games, some by making a LP for the games, some by translating the games, rom-hacking, writing a walkthrough, make a website etc. However, not everyone have that kind of skill. And on the N64 emulator or PC, people can also make graphics pack for the games, much like adding a custom paint job to their fav car. And this is how I want my emulator to be, another way for the fans to express and share their love for the games.

X-or, I apologize if you feel offended because I make an emulator to deviate from a real NES on purpose. I do respect your love for the NES and I hope you can understand my point of view. Thank you.

rainwarrior, I think the OpenGL started, but the GLSL code has problem running. Which OpenGL version or graphics card are you using?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I am running Windows 7 64-bit with an nVidia GeForce GT 540M. I don't know what you mean by OpenGL version.

Is there a log somewhere that would output a diagnostic error about the shaders?
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

That graphics card should be more than enough. I really need to add an error log to the emulator.
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

18-4-2013:
1. Fixed a bug that display a wrong tile ID after clicking "Cancel selection" button.
2. Added error log function for initializing the video. The log file will be located inside the log directory.
nesguru

Post by nesguru »

Don't get discouraged by the naysayers. Fortunately for them there are already many emulators available that provide a traditional NES experience.

Providing support for more colors and a higher resolution is a very cool idea that many will embrace. Have you considered publishing a standard for how the increased colors and resolution are implemented? This way other emulators could eventually adopt it and people would be more likely to create graphics packs.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Ok, the log just says "failed to link shader program" three times. Probably you're going to want to log which shader, and the error string from the shader compiler.

Also you removed the BombSweeper.NES from the roms folder?
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

Thank you for the reply. I was cleaning up the release folder and removed the rom by mistake. The emulator uses three shader programs spr back, background and spr front, so none worked. I'll add more detail to the log. Thanks.