It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 1934
Location: WhereverIparkIt, USA
Nice work! I'm sure it can be extracted back out again without too much effort, but it would be nice if the NT/AT/PT/pallettes could be exported as raw files vice just .nes I don't see the concat.c file included anymore does the file layout you gave previously still apply? I'm guessing the code follows the attribute data in the PRG bank, any chance to get the source for that? Not a big deal to recreate though I guess.

I've had very little luck with tools that were supposed to help with conversion in the past. This goes leaps and bounds towards delivering output from a generic image input. The flickering image is great and all, but just having a still image would be plenty for some of the uses I have in mind.

If I'm missing something let me know, but I can find an easy way to get an output from this I can import into anything other than by disassembling the rom again. Due to the size and in-efficiencies it doesn't sound like the goal of all of this was to have the output imported into games, but it's really not that bad considering how cheap bits are these days.

_________________
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:36 am
Posts: 2982
Location: Tampere, Finland
infiniteneslives wrote:
Nice work! I'm sure it can be extracted back out again without too much effort, but it would be nice if the NT/AT/PT/pallettes could be exported as raw files vice just .nes I don't see the concat.c file included anymore does the file layout you gave previously still apply? I'm guessing the code follows the attribute data in the PRG bank, any chance to get the source for that? Not a big deal to recreate though I guess.

Yeah the ROM file format has stayed the same. The code isn't entirely trivial, because it needs to switch the CHR bank multiple times midscreen and also because of the 16x8 attributes. Source is not available at this time. :)

Quote:
I've had very little luck with tools that were supposed to help with conversion in the past. This goes leaps and bounds towards delivering output from a generic image input. The flickering image is great and all, but just having a still image would be plenty for some of the uses I have in mind.

If I'm missing something let me know, but I can find an easy way to get an output from this I can import into anything other than by disassembling the rom again. Due to the size and in-efficiencies it doesn't sound like the goal of all of this was to have the output imported into games, but it's really not that bad considering how cheap bits are these days.

Right now it's not possible to get the individual files. And yeah the goal of the tool was to be more of an toy than to help in game development.

Also note that the tool uses 16x8 attribute area so the results aren't directly usable anywhere else without timed code. It would be fairly easy to add an option for 16x16 attribute area (and other sizes such as 8x8, 8x1 etc), and maybe an option for reserving some palette entries for other purposes, so those features may come one of these days.

_________________
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: kkfos.aspekt.fi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 1934
Location: WhereverIparkIt, USA
Fair enough, I'll poke around with it then when my next image conversion task arises. Thanks for clarifying some of the details.

_________________
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 6509
Location: Seattle
thefox wrote:
(and other sizes such as 8x8, 8x1 etc), and maybe an option for reserving some palette entries for other purposes, so those features may come one of these days.
Since the InviteNES is apparently going to support 8x1 attribute zones for the selection menu, it'd be wonderful if you'd spare me from the compulsion to build that converter. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:36 am
Posts: 2982
Location: Tampere, Finland
lidnariq wrote:
thefox wrote:
(and other sizes such as 8x8, 8x1 etc), and maybe an option for reserving some palette entries for other purposes, so those features may come one of these days.
Since the InviteNES is apparently going to support 8x1 attribute zones for the selection menu, it'd be wonderful if you'd spare me from the compulsion to build that converter. ;)

Yeah I wrote the program with other attribute sizes in mind so the feature should be easy to add. The only reason I didn't include it yet is that there's no standardized way to structure such data (of course I could always export something like JSON which the user could process to his liking... but we'll see).

_________________
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: kkfos.aspekt.fi


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group