TapeDump v1.0 - a tool to dump carts without extra hardware

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

ccovell

Re: TapeDump v1.0 - a tool to dump carts without extra hardw

Post by ccovell »

Jeroen wrote:Perhaps include a small program to LOAD code over the controller ports as well? (into ram)
I am working on 2 methods of loading code onto the NES/FC, in case you missed the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9909

The PAR Port loader can use the controller pins, but the Microphone loader requires a real Famicom with mic (cable is dead simple, however.)
thefox

Post by thefox »

Jeroen wrote:Perhaps include a small program to LOAD code over the controller ports as well? (into ram)
Pretty sure I suggested the very same thing for the last cart, but tepples didn't want to include it without being able to test it (he doesn't have a controller cable for it, I think).

Anyway, if such program is included, the ideal candidate (in my opinion) would be blargg's bootloader, because of how flexible it is: http://slack.net/~ant/old/nes-code/boot ... usage.html

Obviously, more the merrier.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

I've considered making those cables before. But due to the limited availability and cost of the nes controller cord I've dismissed it since usb is cheaper and more convenient with the assumption your buying a cart to go along with it.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

tepples wrote:If someone were to figure out exactly what sort of filtering the Zapper's demodulator circuit is doing, it'd become possible to load data in through an LED and a Zapper.
My preliminary experiments show it roughly equivalent to a modulation with a 16kHz carrier to demodulate, followed by a 1kHz lowpass filter.
tokumaru wrote:I see two problems with the use of a CRT TV:
2- How are you going to get the information to show up on the TV? You can generate a video on the PC and put it in a thumb drive or a DVD and play it on your DVD player, but that's hardly efficient. Because of the low popularity of CRT TVs these days we can hardly find video cards that can output composite/s-video, so we really don't have many options.
The zapper does not need to be pointed at a CRT. We could hook up an LED to a (optionally USB) serial port and synthesize the carrier by sending carefully chosen bytes over the serial port.
For example, if a serial port can support 115200 baud and 5N1 serial, all bytes will take 1/(16.5kHz) to send—close enough to the horizontal retrace frequency. Then it's just a matter of picking two bytes (maybe 0 and 0x1C?) that count as "bright enough" and "not bright enough" to the demodulation circuit.

If we can't get 5N1 reliably, another possibility is 38400 8N1 where the bytes sent are specifically 0 (one pulse with 1/3.8kHz spacing) or 0xA5 (four pulses with ≈1/15.4kHZ spacing).
Failing all else, we could throw in a really cheap microcontroller that takes care of all the timing.

TL;DR: none of these require modifying the zapper or NES at all.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Since phones these days typically have a led on them for the camera flash...couldn't that be used as a half decent transmission source?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Assuming we can turn the LED on or off at ≈31kHz, it would be great.
byemu

Re:

Post by byemu »

thefox wrote:I've been thinking about doing a controller port serial dumping software, but haven't done it so far because I have no use for it. It would be pretty easy to do using blargg's NRPC library (the same one I used for the PC2NES PowerPak transfer software). It's too bad NRPC was never officially released, but if somebody want's to use it you can get it from the PC2NES sources.
Good idea!
So let's do it!
thefox

Re: Re:

Post by thefox »

byemu wrote:
thefox wrote:I've been thinking about doing a controller port serial dumping software, but haven't done it so far because I have no use for it. It would be pretty easy to do using blargg's NRPC library (the same one I used for the PC2NES PowerPak transfer software). It's too bad NRPC was never officially released, but if somebody want's to use it you can get it from the PC2NES sources.
Good idea!
So let's do it!
I still think it's a good idea, especially if a Python library was made out of NRPC (the dumping plugins would then be Python scripts). Would be especially fun if it worked in real time (could probe the NES from a Python console...). But as previously said, personally I have no use for it.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
byemu

Re: Re:

Post by byemu »

thefox wrote:
byemu wrote:
Good idea!
So let's do it!
I still think it's a good idea, especially if a Python library was made out of NRPC (the dumping plugins would then be Python scripts). Would be especially fun if it worked in real time (could probe the NES from a Python console...). But as previously said, personally I have no use for it.
I will try it!
I will write a new pc -client with dump
wyatt8740

Post by wyatt8740 »

Now, if only I could record it into my VIC-20's 'datasette' drive :D

(and play it back into the system to load the game)
No matter what year it is, 1980 was about 20 years ago, and you can't change my mind.
realpeterjack

Post by realpeterjack »

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but you guys seem to have been struggling with KCS for DOS. A few years ago I contacted the author and he recompiled it for me, using a Windows compiler, as I wanted to use it for retrieving data stored in old Astrocade BASIC tapes. This version can be found here, bundled with other Bally BASIC tools (for the Astrocade):

http://www.ballyalley.com/program_downl ... tools.html <- Software download page

http://www.ballyalley.com/program_downl ... _Tools.zip <- Direct download link

Both DOS and Windows versions are included
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Thanks a lot for the link!
ouso1999

Post by ouso1999 »

Hi I have a noob question . I have famicom carts and wanna dump them so what kind of powerpak should I get?
Like a sunset
Dying with the rising of the moon
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Post by ccovell »

If you have a NES, get the NES PowerPak and use your Famicom carts through an adaptor. If you have a Famicom, use a Famicom Powerpak (??)

Oh, yeah, since you're in Egypt, TapeDump doesn't dump games from within multicarts. :-)

It should be able to dump the menus, though. ;-D
tepples

Post by tepples »

There is no Famicom PowerPak. There is a Famicom version of the EverDrive N8.