Sweet!

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

tokumaru wrote:Why don't you just buy one of these
Hey, cool ! I'd like to have one !
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

gannon wrote:Because that's no fun :-P, plus, it uses a pirate chip so isn't 100% accurate.
Well, the goal here is to play NES games on the road. I doubt anyone is going to do any dev'ing inside a car or a bus, so why would anyone need a 100% compatible system?
If you're thinking of making systems portable I suggest you stop by http://benheck.com and http://portablesofdoom.org
There sure are some weird stuff on those pages...! I know I wouldn't feel well destroying an actual NES. Plus not everyone has the knowledge to build these things.
tepples

Post by tepples »

tokumaru wrote:
gannon wrote:Because that's no fun :-P, plus, it uses a pirate chip so isn't 100% accurate.
Well, the goal here is to play NES games on the road. I doubt anyone is going to do any dev'ing inside a car or a bus, so why would anyone need a 100% compatible system?
Because some published NES games depend on quirks that the pocket famiclones don't implement correctly. Do the MMC2, MMC4, and MMC5 games run properly? What about Bee 52 and Micro Machines? If you're not concerned about accuracy, then get a used GBA SP, a GBA Movie Player, a cheap CF card, and the PocketNES emulator.
Celius

Post by Celius »

Bregalad wrote:Hey, the SNES have the EXACT SAME power device as the NES.
No, the port into the SNES is alot bigger than the one into the NES. Plus the SNES plug has an extra pin type thing in the center. I just wish the SNES and the NES had a more convinient figure, like I wish the NES was a little flatter that it is. I think the expansion port makes like an extra inch or so, and it's completely useless. Do any of you keep that damn metal dust shield on the bottom of the NES's motherboard? I threw it in the trash, because when I took my NES apart, I had to remove the dust shield to get to the motherboard, and I could NOT put it back on.
blargg

Post by blargg »

The electromagnetic (RF, not dust) shielding under the NES motherboard is a real bitch to get back in that one place by the power connector. You could just take some metal cutters and snip that little bit off. I doubt the radiation with it removed would interfere with much, though.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

tepples wrote:If you're not concerned about accuracy, then get a used GBA SP, a GBA Movie Player, a cheap CF card, and the PocketNES emulator.
Still sounds much harder (and expensive) than just buying a Pokefami. I honestly haven't tried those games you mentioned, 'cause I don't have any of them. If I ever have the chance I'll try.
tepples

Post by tepples »

(All figures in United States dollars)
Pokefami: $140 from play-asia.com
Does not also play GB and GBA games

Pre-owned GBA SP: $50
GBA Movie Player: $25
256 megabyte CF card: $20
CF writer: $12
PocketNES: GPL free software
NES ROMz: ???
Also plays GB and GBA games
loopy

Post by loopy »

Last edited by loopy on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

tepples wrote:What about Bee 52 and Micro Machines?
Something curious happened today... I was at the place I usually buy my NES games and those exact 2 carts were there. Bought them for 10 bucks (US$) each.

I havent tested them on any of my famiclones yet, but I can tell they don't work on my NES. Well, I can only see the "Code Masters" logo forming in the middle of the screen, an then the system resets and shows that again, over and over and over. Puting the cart's switch in another position didn't work.

Both games worked perfectly on the famiclone at the place I bought them, I didn't see any gliches. I have one of the same brand at home, it's not the same model, though. I'm guessing they will work fine, as the problem seems to be lockout chip-related.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Celius wrote:No, the port into the SNES is alot bigger than the one into the NES. Plus the SNES plug has an extra pin type thing in the center. I just wish the SNES and the NES had a more convinient figure, like I wish the NES was a little flatter that it is. I think the expansion port makes like an extra inch or so, and it's completely useless. Do any of you keep that damn metal dust shield on the bottom of the NES's motherboard? I threw it in the trash, because when I took my NES apart, I had to remove the dust shield to get to the motherboard, and I could NOT put it back on.
Maybe not the american NES and SNES, but for me, my european NES and SNES have the exact same video port and power adaptator. I use the same, and I just plug in and out the jacks when I alternate between playing my NES and my SNES.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Celius

Post by Celius »

I was thinking that. The American NES RFU and the SNES RFU are the same, but not for AV. I really wish that the power was the same as well. I actually bought an SNES/Genisis/NES adapter, and it had to cords on it, one for the NES, and one for the SNES. It would have been a handy, space-saving device, but I cut the cord off of the NES part, and used it for the 9V battery idea.
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

blargg wrote:The electromagnetic (RF, not dust) shielding under the NES motherboard is a real bitch to get back in that one place by the power connector. You could just take some metal cutters and snip that little bit off. I doubt the radiation with it removed would interfere with much, though.
Just remove it and throw it away. That's what I do :-) I hate those damn shields. They don't do anything really other than increase the weight of the system, and keep the FCC happy.
/* this is a comment */
joe78

Post by joe78 »

Hm, i hooked up a 10V 1200mA battery pack to my PAL NES, once by just directly putting it to the 7805 and once by passing it through the circuitry as if it was the NES power pak but all my games run SLOW.

Any idea what's up with this? I've charged the battery extensively and it's showing a steady 10v on the multimeter..
tepples

Post by tepples »

Do they run about 20% slower than you're used to, or slower than that?
joe78

Post by joe78 »

Actually they run at 100%, it was just one copy of Super Mario Bros I have (the really old one with the normal screws in the case) but it turns out it runs slow on all of my NES's..

Super Mario Brothers 3 runs nicely off battery and so do all my other games, no idea why that mario runs slow on all my NES's :\

Btw, will the battery have more power sucked from it if it runs through the power circuit rather than just hooking it up to the 7805?