Winamp is dead

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: Winamp is dead

Post by rainwarrior »

The Winamp 2 plugin system is still vastly more widely used than any later version, and it was released in 1998. There just hasn't been significant need to improve the plugin API since. SDK availability hasn't ever been an issue; the only thing that's required to make a Winamp 2 plugin is some DLL entry points and the correct data structures.

The current version of Winamp is compiled for all modern versions of windows. It's going to be a very long time before Microsoft's progress will manage to obsolete it.
Ratix

Post by Ratix »

there will always be a version of winamp available to the public you just need to look in the right place!
MaxWar

Post by MaxWar »

For my part I know I will continue to use winamp for a good while still. Until I feel a good reason to switch to another player.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

tepples wrote:In my opinion, an input plug-in should be a separate executable that renders directly to a WAV file on stdout, allowing other applications to open it as a pipe. But then that's just the wishful thinking of my UNIX-philosophy mind.
I am agreeing with you, and I don't use Winamp anyways.

Anyways I just use a NES/Famicom emulator to play .NSF (and I hate that you cannot turn off the duration feature of NSFplay; having the time display is useful but I would rather it just play forever in a "dumb" way), VGMPlay to play .VGM, etc.

But what might be of interest to a few people is a Csound plugin for playing .NSF files; this would be used mainly for postprocessing, although it may also be used to build a GUI, to control it with wii remotes, and various other things; Csound can do all of these things! If it is made the commands might be:

Code: Select all

ihandle nsf_init Sfilename, [iAreg], [itvmode], [iXreg], [iYreg], [iaputest]
nsf_reset ihandle, [iAreg], [iXreg], [iYreg]
ares nsf_step ihandle
aint1, aint2, aexp nsf_step3 ihandle
nsf_poke ihandle, iaddr, idata
nsf_kpoke ihandle, kaddr, kdata, [ktrigger]
idata nsf_peek ihandle, iaddr
kdata nsf_kpeek ihandle, kaddr, [ktrigger]
nsf_register_address ihandle, iinstr, iaddr, [idurmode]
nsf_register_channel ihandle, iinstr, ichan, [idurmode]
nsf_unregister ihandle, [iinstr]
nsf_close ihandle
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)