NESICIDE

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

cpow
NESICIDE developer

Re: NESICIDE

Post by cpow »

NESICIDE version 1.0.041 is out.

NESICIDE v1.041 windows installer.

NESICIDE dependencies windows installer.

This version:

1. Stability fixes to address crashes on app exit or project closure. Most turned out to be related to shutting down threads handling debuggers.
2. Fix for choppy 'farting' audio caused by inclusion of FT in NESICIDE and inappropriate SDL buffer sizing.
3. Inclusion of qbradq's uc65 tool and a NROM template project for it, accessible via Project->New Project. Create, build, run, and debug step/breakpoint through your UC65 project.
4. Fixed focus problem on Ctrl+Shift+F - now focuses in search text entry field so you can start typing text to search for immediately as you'd expect to be able to.

Unfortunately I didn't get to the enhancement requests yet [palette picker, open with...]

As usual, bug reports, enhancement requests, always welcome.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Good work on the "Go Button"!

I think the reason I got confused with my first attempt with NESICIDE is that I didn't realize the way to open a simple hello world project was to just create a project under that template. That and I spent a lot of time clicking around on your site looking for the download not realizing it was here. ;)

You sure do have all kinds of bells and whistles on this thing cpow. I knew you had a lot going on with your IDE, but wowzers there's hardly nothing that you're unable to monitor and/or visualize. Great work on this project, the debugging capabilities you've got here are truly unparalleled.

So is it about time to reward yourself for the hardwork on this project and get some use with it to create a game of your own??? :D
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

infiniteneslives wrote:Good work on the "Go Button"!
Thanks! Hoping people find it helpful.
infiniteneslives wrote:I think the reason I got confused with my first attempt with NESICIDE is that I didn't realize the way to open a simple hello world project was to just create a project under that template. That and I spent a lot of time clicking around on your site looking for the download not realizing it was here. ;)
My site was horked for a while, yeah. Should be fixed now though.
infiniteneslives wrote:You sure do have all kinds of bells and whistles on this thing cpow. I knew you had a lot going on with your IDE, but wowzers there's hardly nothing that you're unable to monitor and/or visualize. Great work on this project, the debugging capabilities you've got here are truly unparalleled.
Thanks, again! Let me know if there's anything you'd love to have that's not there. I'm going to focus for a bit on the requests already made in this thread.
infiniteneslives wrote:So is it about time to reward yourself for the hardwork on this project and get some use with it to create a game of your own??? :D
I'm afraid what will happen if I do that is -- again -- my "tool man disease" will flare up at the slightest "oh if only NESICIDE could do...", and I'd -- again -- get sidetracked. However, trying to create simple games to start might be a good way to get some tutorials online [if I can find time to breathe my Wiki back to life].

Thanks for the feedback!
tepples

Post by tepples »

infiniteneslives wrote:So is it about time to reward yourself for the hardwork on this project and get some use with it to create a game of your own??? :D
I think one reason for "tool man disease" is that tools require comparatively less art.
cpow wrote:However, trying to create simple games to start might be a good way to get some tutorials online [if I can find time to breathe my Wiki back to life].
Reminder: I'm still willing to help you configure an ABUSE filter on a MediaWiki site that you operate.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

tepples wrote:I think one reason for "tool man disease" is that tools require comparatively less art.
Yep, that'd be my main mental hurdle. I know...I know...with an idea one should be able to create the entire game using "stand in" borrowed or thrown-together art. That's where my "perfectionist disease" kicks in. :roll:
tepples wrote:Reminder: I'm still willing to help you configure an ABUSE filter on a MediaWiki site that you operate.
Thanks for the reminder, tepples! I will need to completely re-create the Wiki as I simply blew away its SQL database when godaddy started complaining about its size. Not that there was any content on it other than garbage from trolls.
phirobe

Post by phirobe »

Hi. I'm new to these forums & I have a question regarding NESICIDE.

I have downloaded & installed the program & know what it is capable of, but am wondering when it says sound designers - does that include sound effects as well as music?

Just thought I would inquire on that.

Thx.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

phirobe wrote:Hi. I'm new to these forums & I have a question regarding NESICIDE.

I have downloaded & installed the program & know what it is capable of, but am wondering when it says sound designers - does that include sound effects as well as music?

Thx.
It has been my goal to include a sound-effect designer, yes. At the moment I am porting FamiTracker to Qt -- and if you create a Music object you'll see that FamiTracker is embedded in NESICIDE. You should be able to drag/drop an existing FTM onto NESICIDE and it'll add it to your project. I had thought a "sound designer" might look something like the SoundMaker in Garry Kitchens' GameMaker for the Commodore 64. But having seen what FamiTracker is capable of and seen what people like Shiru have done with it in using it to create sound effects, I'm thinking that FamiTracker could serve both music and sound effect purpose.

At present the FamiTracker re-implementation is not 100% complete but it is at least slightly useable for creating and playing back things.
phirobe

Post by phirobe »

cpow wrote:
phirobe wrote:Hi. I'm new to these forums & I have a question regarding NESICIDE.

Thx.
It has been my goal to include a sound-effect designer, yes. At the moment I am porting FamiTracker to Qt -- and if you create a Music object you'll see that FamiTracker is embedded in NESICIDE. You should be able to drag/drop an existing FTM onto NESICIDE and it'll add it to your project. I had thought a "sound designer" might look something like the SoundMaker in Garry Kitchens' GameMaker for the Commodore 64. But having seen what FamiTracker is capable of and seen what people like Shiru have done with it in using it to create sound effects, I'm thinking that FamiTracker could serve both music and sound effect purpose.

At present the FamiTracker re-implementation is not 100% complete but it is at least slightly useable for creating and playing back things.
ok. Hopefully the FamiTracker re-implementation is a focus for the next release. The only other thing that is an issue is the load startup on the application itself. I'm using Windows 8, have 12GB RAM & an AMD 8-Core Processor.. still takes about 2 seconds longer to finish that it should. But, other than that.. keep the fixes & improvements coming.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

phirobe wrote: ok. Hopefully the FamiTracker re-implementation is a focus for the next release. The only other thing that is an issue is the load startup on the application itself. I'm using Windows 8, have 12GB RAM & an AMD 8-Core Processor.. still takes about 2 seconds longer to finish that it should. But, other than that.. keep the fixes & improvements coming.
It is a focus, yes. Slowly and surely coming more into focus than not.

I don't have access to Windows 8 so I can't comment on start times. I am curious, though, what your expectation is? "2 seconds longer than it should"? How long *should* it take? It does load a plethora of DLLs during start-up.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum, by the way.
phirobe

Post by phirobe »

cpow wrote:
phirobe wrote: ok. Hopefully the FamiTracker re-implementation is a focus for the next release. The only other thing that is an issue is the load startup on the application itself. I'm using Windows 8, have 12GB RAM & an AMD 8-Core Processor.. still takes about 2 seconds longer to finish that it should. But, other than that.. keep the fixes & improvements coming.
It is a focus, yes. Slowly and surely coming more into focus than not.

I don't have access to Windows 8 so I can't comment on start times. I am curious, though, what your expectation is? "2 seconds longer than it should"? How long *should* it take? It does load a plethora of DLLs during start-up.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Well, if it takes that long to load due to having to load a lot of DLL's.. couldn't you just go back to using the old model? MFC?

I dunno.. You might be good with Qt4, but the old MFC App - probably saved a lot of startup load time.

Again, I am looking forward to the next release-update & thx for the welcome. Keep up the good work... hopefully you could implement SNES Development with NESICIDE? lol
thefox

Post by thefox »

phirobe wrote:Well, if it takes that long to load due to having to load a lot of DLL's.. couldn't you just go back to using the old model? MFC?

I dunno.. You might be good with Qt4, but the old MFC App - probably saved a lot of startup load time.

Again, I am looking forward to the next release-update & thx for the welcome. Keep up the good work... hopefully you could implement SNES Development with NESICIDE? lol
This message is too damn funny having read viewtopic.php?p=125171#p125171 just a day before.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

phirobe wrote:Well, if it takes that long to load due to having to load a lot of DLL's.. couldn't you just go back to using the old model? MFC?
Anybody who thinks MFC is the way forward is full of MFC (Mother Fcuking Crap). :P

But seriously, cpow abandoned MFC because MFC works only on Windows, and depending on whom you talk to, OS X and */Linux are each beating Windows 8 in usage share.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

thefox wrote:

This message is too damn funny having read viewtopic.php?p=125171#p125171 just a day before.
What makes it even funnier is that I was just thinking how cool it was that NESICIDE is drawing people here. But the suggestion to go back to MFC makes me wonder if I just got botted. :lol: If so, damn these bots are gettin sophisticated!
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

phirobe: I would like to be helpful but I haven't got anything quantifiable from your concern other than vague statements about how long NESICIDE takes to start up in Win8. How long, exactly, does it take? How long, exactly, do you think it should take? The reality is I probably won't be able to meet your expectation but your report that it is taking too long is probably not ungrounded, so I am trying to understand where we're at.

As for going back to MFC. No. I am trying to be helpful to others beyond "just run my shit in Wine, yo". I do have a special place in my heart for MFC. But I think of it fondly as a memory, not as a desire to ever go back.
tepples

Post by tepples »

cpow wrote:I am trying to be helpful to others beyond "just run my shit in Wine, yo".
On the other hand, that approach can be refined. The FCEUX team has handled my reports of crash bugs in the debugger under Wine, and game developers using TransGaming's Cider say "we've tested our stuff on Wine, at least the version included in the game's installer."