It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:18 am 

So my computer technology teacher recently ordered an INL-ROM PCB (Sunsoft 5 with full sound and full flash upgrade) and an INL-Retro dumper/programmer (with NES, Famicom, and SNES ports) for me to play around with. I have a couple of questions, though:

1. Will I be able to use the cart for games that use NROM (e.g. Super Mario Bros.)?
2. I've heard that I need to solder a resistor onto the NES PCB in order to get FME7 sound (for Gimmick!). If so, how would I go about doing that?
3. While I'm on the topic of soldering a resistor onto the NES, do I need to do this in order to play Sunsoft 5 games that don't use the extended sound (e.g. Batman: Return of the Joker)?
4. Do I need to put the cartridge into a case in order to use it with an actual NES?

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who are convinced there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who aren't. - Unknown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:30 am 

DevEd wrote:
So my computer technology teacher recently ordered an INL-ROM PCB (Sunsoft 5 with full sound and full flash upgrade) and an INL-Retro dumper/programmer (with NES, Famicom, and SNES ports) for me to play around with. I have a couple of questions, though:

1. Will I be able to use the cart for games that use NROM (e.g. Super Mario Bros.)?
2. I've heard that I need to solder a resistor onto the NES PCB in order to get FME7 sound (for Gimmick!). If so, how would I go about doing that?
3. While I'm on the topic of soldering a resistor onto the NES, do I need to do this in order to play Sunsoft 5 games that don't use the extended sound (e.g. Batman: Return of the Joker)?
4. Do I need to put the cartridge into a case in order to use it with an actual NES?

1) Depends on the power-up initialization state of the mapper implementation. Generally speaking the power-up state tends to be undefined, and you'd have to hack the ROM to make sure everything is mapped correctly and mirroring is set correctly.

2) Yes. There's a picture (audio_mod.jpg) and short instructions (README.TXT) in this package: http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/NES/powerpak_loopy.zip

3) No.

4) Technically no, as long as you can get it to make good contact with the connector. I remember having to strategically stick a pen in there to accomplish that. If you're using a front-loading NES, you probably want to remove the case of the NES as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:39 am 

I have a couple more questions:
1. If I put the cartridge in a case, do I have to remove it to connect it to the INL-Retro?
2. This is probably stretching it, but is there an NES emulator that is compatible with kazoo?

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who are convinced there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who aren't. - Unknown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:03 pm 

I think you do need to remove the case to seat the PCB properly in the programmer. I would not recommend leaving it out of a case unless you are busy programming it.

No emulator interacts with the programmer. It is possible with the original firmware to read cartridges though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:40 pm 

DevEd wrote:
So my computer technology teacher recently ordered an INL-ROM PCB (Sunsoft 5 with full sound and full flash upgrade) and an INL-Retro dumper/programmer (with NES, Famicom, and SNES ports) for me to play around with.

This is pretty awesome that my boards are getting used for educational purposes somewhere in the world. I'd be interested in talking with your teacher if there's some sort of curriculum where the boards are being utilized with. I could probably donate some stuff to the cause if that's really the case.

yeah you'll have to mapper hack games which use different mappers. NROM could work on sunsoft5 pretty easily, but you need to get the register banks initialized prior to handing control to the NROM game.

As for the case, I recommend using one if you have a front loader. You don't have to remove the case to program it. If you have a toploader or the top cover removed from your frontloader it's pretty easy to get by without the case. My SNES boards currently do require you to remove the board from the case to program, but not the NES ones.

You really don't have to worry about the resistor mod if you're not using the synth for extra sound channels. You could wait to install the resistor until you were ready to experiment with the synth.

There isn't any support from emulators from what I know of. The biggest thing that would help right now is having the host app support .nes files. That way you could just click erase/program to reflash, powered with that, I'm not sure the benefit of emulator integration. I suppose you might mean the other direction as in the sense of using it similar to the retrode.

Integrating flashing of the cart into your makefile would be nice though. I have a build of the host app which accepts .nes files right now, but I'm working on some bugs of reported compatibility issues on it right now. If you want to give it a try let me know and I can give you a beta build.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:19 pm 

Unfortunately, I'm the only one with one of your boards, and there's no curriculum around it. I am, however, using it for (somewhat) educational purposes.

Also, I think you may have misunderstood my question about an emulator with Kazoo support. What I was talking about was a standalone emulator with support for the device, since my teacher is still looking for his NES. (After all, what's the point of having an NES flash cart if you don't have an NES? :roll:)

EDIT: Also, a version of the host app with .NES support would be really useful, even if it is beta.