Caveman graphics

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Sik

Caveman graphics

Post by Sik »

I was bored so I drew some caveman graphics:

There are caveman and cavewoman sprites (one for each player). The dark red thingy under the left cavewoman sprite is the pole they carry around, to throw around much like the hammers in Adventure Island. The vertical line is the thread of the spider =P And be really careful with the tile arrangement, you may end up missing some optimizations (e.g. the frog can be done with just 3 tiles).

Feel free to make a game out of this. A good plot would be that the cavemen are hungry and go out hunt for food. I'd probably set A to jump and B to attack. Not much else to comment on.

There you go!
Dwedit

Re: Caveman graphics

Post by Dwedit »

My initial reaction was "Oh god, these are gonna look horrible with an NTSC filter".
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

The caveman and the cavewoman look very cute, but the rest could use a little work (the spider and the steak need a complete overhaul, IMO). The overall style is very reminiscent of early NES games, where objects didn't have outlines or shading, which isn't bad, but personally I prefer sprites with more depth.
Dwedit wrote:these are gonna look horrible with an NTSC filter
Maybe not, if you pick a background color that goes well with their hair.
tepples

Post by tepples »

To make graphics look acceptable on a TV, give neighboring colors different brightnesses.
  • 0: Black ($1D, $xF)
  • 1: Dark colors ($01-$0C)
  • 2: Dark gray ($00), medium colors ($11-$1C)
  • 4: Light gray ($10), light colors ($21-$2C)
  • 5: Pale colors ($31-$3C)
  • 6: White ($20)
A quick recolor solved some of the contrast problems, with the caveman characters becoming $06 $19 $26. But that gray creature in the bottom row will need some sort of countershading, outlining, skin fold lines, etc. to stand out from the sky because light gray ($10) is the same brightness as SMB1 sky ($22).

Is it OK if I add this to the placeholder graphics library on the wiki?
Attachments
Sik_caveman_recolor.png
Sik_caveman_recolor.png (1.37 KiB) Viewed 4632 times
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

You can also use the original colors and just make the backdrop black.
Attachments
black_bg.png
black_bg.png (1.15 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Sik

Post by Sik »

I never said you had to use those colors (in fact, those are EGA colors, not NES colors).
tepples wrote:Is it OK if I add this to the placeholder graphics library on the wiki?
Sure.

EDIT: here are the tiles used by the sprites.