"Secret graphic" request?

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

caramelpuffpuff

"Secret graphic" request?

Post by caramelpuffpuff »

There is one out of two things I need:

You know there is a "secret graphics" for NES; which is another palette which is darker version of the original palette, which the ONLY ROM that use it
is PALTEST by Loopy? Well, here's what I need:

1: Would anyone please, are you able to make me the palette for GIMP, which the top one is the perfected NES original palette, like the one from Wiki, AND the bottom one is the "secret" dark colored palette that you can only see it by colormap?

or

2: Can anyone tell me how do I get that? Do I put the pure-colored-NES-palette, snapshot, and others in the FCEUX or how?
I am thinking of requesting a tutor [free] to learn NES programming in 6502 Assembly, as I am still baffled on the Bunnyboy 6504 lessons. If anyone want to help, I'm happy.
Bear in mind I may act silly or have trouble understanding, so please bear with me.
lidnariq

Re: "Secret graphic" request?

Post by lidnariq »

Are you referring to the colors made by the emphasis bits, as shown in blargg's 432 color demo? ?
caramelpuffpuff

lidnariq wrote:Are you referring to the colors made by the emphasis bits, as shown in blargg's 432 color demo? ?
@_@......No, that one is TOO complicated, and I feel SNES would be better off to be used instead of that...

I mean the link I gave.

There is two pallete, the original and "secret".

As of the Wikipedia, the Wiki has the most accurate, if not the perfect colors. And I am asking if someone could able to give me a GIMP palette with that perfect palette AND the secret palette that it "relative" to the "WIkipedia" palette that is somehow ripped from emulator.
Attachments
this.PNG
I am thinking of requesting a tutor [free] to learn NES programming in 6502 Assembly, as I am still baffled on the Bunnyboy 6504 lessons. If anyone want to help, I'm happy.
Bear in mind I may act silly or have trouble understanding, so please bear with me.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Why don't you just have GIMP generate the palette you want from that image, or whatever image of the palette you want?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

The palette you want is the last one in blargg's demo. Just run it in an emulator that uses a palette you like and get a screenshot, so you can build the GIMP palette yourself.

BTW, there's nothing "secret" about that palette... those are the colors you get when you enable all 3 color emphasis bits.
caramelpuffpuff

tokumaru wrote:The palette you want is the last one in blargg's demo. Just run it in an emulator that uses a palette you like and get a screenshot, so you can build the GIMP palette yourself.

BTW, there's nothing "secret" about that palette... those are the colors you get when you enable all 3 color emphasis bits.
Hmm..Offtopic, but "An expansion chip that enables 3 color emphasis bit" + video game = how it would sell so quick because of advanced graphics at the old times...beautiful."

So, by the last one in BLLLAAAARRRRRGGG!! (Sorry.) demo, you mean the last row in the first snapshot of the demo? The bottom palette?
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

There is no special chip.
tepples

Post by tepples »

The only thing I can think of that might connect picture tinting/emphasis (bits 7-5 of $2001) to a "special chip" is the use of an interval timer on the Game Pak (like the MMC3's scanline counter or the FME-7's cycle counter) to assert /IRQ when it's time to turn emphasis on or off.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

caramelpuffpuff wrote:"An expansion chip that enables 3 color emphasis bit"
You don't need expansion chips, a normal NES alone can enable/disable those 3 color emphasis bits at any time.
because of advanced graphics at the old times...beautiful.
The use of color emphasis bits doesn't make graphics look particularly advanced, because you can't mix the emphasized colors with the regular ones... when you manipulate the emphasis bits, the whole palette changes, so you're still limited to a total of 54 colors to choose from. Raster effects (i.e. changing the emphasis bits mid-frame) might increase the overall number of colors in a single frame, but you still can't freely mix all 432 colors.
you mean the last row in the first snapshot of the demo? The bottom palette?
Yes. That's what you get when all 3 emphasis bits are on, a slightly darker version of the regular palette.

EDIT: From top to bottom, the emphasis in blargg's demo are as follows:

1- No emphasis (normal);
2- Red;
3- Green;
4- Green + Red (yellow);
5- Blue;
6- Blue + Red (magenta);
7- Blue + Green (cyan);
8- Blue + Green + Red (dark);
Last edited by tokumaru on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caramelpuffpuff

Is there an emulator that is compatible for this? FECUX 21.5 isn't right for me. =w=

(Although this one looks useful to use for scene...)
Attachments
full_palette-0.png
full_palette-0.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 6764 times
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I know that older FCEUX versions didn't handle a lot of mid-screen PPU changes correctly. I'm not sure that changed much in the newer versions, but you should definitely grab a newer version. Nestopia handles that demo without problems, and I'm pretty sure Nintendulator does too.
caramelpuffpuff

tokumaru wrote:I know that older FCEUX versions didn't handle a lot of mid-screen PPU changes correctly. I'm not sure that changed much in the newer versions, but you should definitely grab a newer version. Nestopia handles that demo without problems, and I'm pretty sure Nintendulator does too.
Oh! @.@;; That feels like different program rather others! (I kind of wish I know which is the BEST emulator to play games...)

Now, I got the snapshot...which one is the "perfected-palette" like the one in the Wiki, but darker?

EEEEEEEDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT:

1- No emphasis (normal); < Is this the PERFECT NES palette, like the one from WIKI?!
2- Red;
3- Green;
4- Green + Red (yellow);
5- Blue;
6- Blue + Red (magenta);
7- Blue + Green (cyan);
8- Blue + Green + Red (dark); < SO.......this is the one? :3
Attachments
full_palette_001.png
full_palette_001.png (5.34 KiB) Viewed 6762 times
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

The demo has no control over how "perfect" the palette is, that depends on the emulator (since the emulator is the one converting NES colors to RGB). This is why I told you to use an emulator that uses a palette of your liking (or one that allows you to tweak the palette to your liking).
caramelpuffpuff

tokumaru wrote:The demo has no control over how "perfect" the palette is, that depends on the emulator (since the emulator is the one converting NES colors to RGB). This is why I told you to use an emulator that uses a palette of your liking (or one that allows you to tweak the palette to your liking).
But what about the "perfect" palette that is shown in Wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NES_palette.png and it's "dark" version?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

There's no reason to call that one perfect. I especially dislike its mismatched luminance.