"Secret graphic" request?

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

caramelpuffpuff

Re: "Secret graphic" request?

Post by caramelpuffpuff »

rainwarrior wrote:There's no reason to call that one perfect. I especially dislike its mismatched luminance.
Accurate?
I am thinking of requesting a tutor [free] to learn NES programming in 6502 Assembly, as I am still baffled on the Bunnyboy 6504 lessons. If anyone want to help, I'm happy.
Bear in mind I may act silly or have trouble understanding, so please bear with me.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Officially, NTSC is the National Television System Committee; unofficially, it's Never The Same Color. Different TVs decode the NES's composite signal in different ways, and TVs offer dials to change how the signal is decoded. So a palette can only be as accurate as the TV you view your NES on.

That said, Bisqwit's generator with saturation set to 1.2 and gamma set to 2.0 should look reasonably close to actual TVs.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Why do you think it's accurate, caramelpuffpuff?

Bisqwit sure makes a lot of cool stuff. That's a neat link, tepples.
caramelpuffpuff

rainwarrior wrote:Why do you think it's accurate, caramelpuffpuff?
...Good question...I guess there is multiple color palette that has the same color as that...

and I don't know if it's true, but in viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10756
if what Shiru said that Wikipedia SNES palette = SNES system palette correctly, I assume that NES from Wikipedia is accurate like SNES.
I am thinking of requesting a tutor [free] to learn NES programming in 6502 Assembly, as I am still baffled on the Bunnyboy 6504 lessons. If anyone want to help, I'm happy.
Bear in mind I may act silly or have trouble understanding, so please bear with me.
tepples

Post by tepples »

The Super NES PPU outputs an RGB signal with 32 levels per channel that a separate encoder converts to composite. The Famicom Titler operates similarly. Converting RGB to RGB is fairly simple.

But the standard Famicom and NES PPU, on the other hand, operates in a polar YUV color space, which behaves closer to HSL, directly generating a composite signal by treating the lightness as the level of the signal's center and the hue as the phase of the color subcarrier. The NTSC standard states (in general terms) how to decode this composite signal back to RGB, but TVs deviate greatly from the standard to provide picture "enhancement" "features" that the user may or may not be able to disable from the front panel.
caramelpuffpuff

tepples wrote:The Super NES PPU outputs an RGB signal that a separate encoder converts to composite. The Famicom Titler operates similarly. But the standard Famicom and NES PPU, on the other hand, operates in a polar YUV color space, which behaves closer to HSL, directly generating a composite signal by treating the lightness as the level of the signal's center and the hue as the phase of the color subcarrier. The NTSC standard states (in general terms) how to decode this composite signal back to RGB, but TVs deviate greatly from the standard to provide picture "enhancement" "features" that the user may or may not be able to disable from the front panel.
...I see. @n@ ...

I think I understand a little.

On the Bisqwit's NES Palette generator: Can I ask what is the settings set for the (at least closest to) wiki palette http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NES_palette.png ? The Hue, Saturation, Contrast, Brightness, and Gamma?

(Sowwy for being so picky. ^^; )
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

You can tell if it looks "accurate" if the colors look evenly spaced, with every color in a row being equally light or dark, and each color in a column having the same hue.