puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: puNES Emulator (ex Fnes)

Post by rainwarrior »

Finally got around to trying this emulator out. It runs really, really well! Good work!
Sky25es

Post by Sky25es »

Great work ! It would be nice however, if there would be an option to configure the emulator's control keys. I.e: the "exit" key.
I also noticed that sometimes I don't get a stable image, even with vsync enabled. It's easily viewable, as an example, in super mario bros. If you run fast to the right, there is some image tearing.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Are you getting tearing in fullscreen, or just in windowed? (Windows has never supported vsync in a window.)
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

Sky25es wrote:Great work ! It would be nice however, if there would be an option to configure the emulator's control keys. I.e: the "exit" key.
Is already in my "TO DO" list.
rainwarrior wrote:
Sky25es wrote:I also noticed that sometimes I don't get a stable image, even with vsync enabled. It's easily viewable, as an example, in super mario bros. If you run fast to the right, there is some image tearing.
Are you getting tearing in fullscreen, or just in windowed? (Windows has never supported vsync in a window.)
+1
Greg Ayrton

Post by Greg Ayrton »

rainwarrior wrote:Are you getting tearing in fullscreen, or just in windowed? (Windows has never supported vsync in a window.)
I have not this problem on GeForce videocard. Such problem is possible on Radeon videocard
Sky25es

Post by Sky25es »

Yes I get tearing in fullscreen. But only in games with fast scrolling. I.e. Super Mario Bros.
I have not this problem on GeForce videocard. Such problem is possible on Radeon videocard
Nice to hear that :wink: In fact I do own a Nvidia Gtx 660 ti videocard. I've also tried to force vsync and triple buffering via the Nvidia control panel, but had no luck.

By the way, here are my system specs: Core2duo 8500. 4.0 GHz, 8gb 1066 MHz ddr2 ram, Nvidia Gtx 660 ti

I don't know if it's an problem with my pc, but could someone try it too please ? Just start Super Mario Bros (US versión) and try to run with the "B" button hold down (acceleration button) all along the first level.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I get no tearing at all in fullscreen+vsync.
talbin

Post by talbin »

I've been using puNES since version .68 and it has always worked great. I just upgraded from .78 to .82 and it doesn't seem to work for me. The SDL version simply closes when I load a game and the D3D version hangs and the process has to be killed. Neither give any indication of what happened in the event log. I've tried multiple settings and deleting my config and starting from scratch with no luck. I'm using the x64 versions. Anyone else experienced this?

Windows 7 x64
Intel Core i7 870
ASRock P55 Extreme Mobo
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5700 - Latest Drivers
D3D Latest Drivers
Sky25es

Post by Sky25es »

talbin wrote:I've been using puNES since version .68 and it has always worked great. I just upgraded from .78 to .82 and it doesn't seem to work for me. The SDL version simply closes when I load a game and the D3D version hangs and the process has to be killed. Neither give any indication of what happened in the event log. I've tried multiple settings and deleting my config and starting from scratch with no luck. I'm using the x64 versions. Anyone else experienced this?
Maybe there's some mismatch in your config files.
Try to use Punes in the portable mode. Just rename punes32.exe to punes32_p.exe or punes64.exe to punes64_p.exe if you have the x64 version.
talbin

Post by talbin »

Sky25es wrote:
talbin wrote:I've been using puNES since version .68 and it has always worked great. I just upgraded from .78 to .82 and it doesn't seem to work for me. The SDL version simply closes when I load a game and the D3D version hangs and the process has to be killed. Neither give any indication of what happened in the event log. I've tried multiple settings and deleting my config and starting from scratch with no luck. I'm using the x64 versions. Anyone else experienced this?
Maybe there's some mismatch in your config files.
Try to use Punes in the portable mode. Just rename punes32.exe to punes32_p.exe or punes64.exe to punes64_p.exe if you have the x64 version.
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it still crashes.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

Tomorrow I will contact you via private message, now I'm too tired, I can not even think clearly.
mgos307

Post by mgos307 »

In version 0.90 or in 1.00 add cheat support (Taken from: Nestopia or FCEUX).
FHorse

Version 0.83

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
Added the real TV NTSC pixel aspect ratio and the option to mitigate the effect of the stretch.
Rewritten and cleaned up the code for the management of shaders (including some shaders like Phosphor).
With compressed roms the Game Genie did not work. Fixed.
With the portable version, if you tried to load a compressed rom, the emulator could crash. Fixed.
angrylion

Post by angrylion »

Thanks for your continuing work on this. I have the following suggestions: 1) "pause emulation when inactive" / "run in background" option; 2) ability to load external palette files. The current PAL palette may be accurate, but it's really bland / washed out compared to what I see on my PAL TV; 3) support for more mappers. For example, 200-in-1-Elfland dump currently seems unsupported; 4) in Windows XP keyboard input works fine only if English is set as a "default input language". When Russian is set as a "default input language" I can successfully assign "A" and "B" to alphabetical keyboard buttons (they appear as Latin, not Cyrillic, characters in your "Standard Pad setup" window, which is OK) and play a game, but, no matter what I do, when starting puNES again, these buttons are not saved and appear unassigned.
vuehbwhq

Post by vuehbwhq »

Cool, thanks a lot FHorse for this new version! :D

(silly question removed)
Last edited by vuehbwhq on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.