puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

thefox

Re: puNES Emulator (ex Fnes)

Post by thefox »

vuehbwhq wrote:Yes, both use the same color (white $30) for text, but it's gray in Felix the Cat!
That's because Felix the Cat turns on all of the emphasis bits, which basically darkens all colors.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
vuehbwhq

Post by vuehbwhq »

thefox wrote:
vuehbwhq wrote:Yes, both use the same color (white $30) for text, but it's gray in Felix the Cat!
That's because Felix the Cat turns on all of the emphasis bits, which basically darkens all colors.
:| I see. Thanks :mrgreen:
thefox

Post by thefox »

There are other games which do the same. At least Jungle Book, Magician and James Bond Jr. come to mind.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
geoslake

Post by geoslake »

Thanks for the update FHorse !

Do you consider implementing an option to help with sprites flicking ? (so that i could finally play Tecmo Super Ball :))
And overclocking maybe ? (for slowdowns in Megaman 3 etc)

Thank you
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

angrylion wrote:1) "pause emulation when inactive" / "run in background" option;
In the next release.
angrylion wrote:2) ability to load external palette files. The current PAL palette may be accurate, but it's really bland / washed out compared to what I see on my PAL TV;
This is also in the TODO list.
angrylion wrote:3) support for more mappers. For example, 200-in-1-Elfland dump currently seems unsupported;
See above.
angrylion wrote:4) in Windows XP keyboard input works fine only if English is set as a "default input language". When Russian is set as a "default input language" I can successfully assign "A" and "B" to alphabetical keyboard buttons (they appear as Latin, not Cyrillic, characters in your "Standard Pad setup" window, which is OK) and play a game, but, no matter what I do, when starting puNES again, these buttons are not saved and appear unassigned.
Tomorrow I will contact you via private message.
geoslake wrote:Do you consider implementing an option to help with sprites flicking ? (so that i could finally play Tecmo Super Ball :))
I don't think I will. When I started my adventure with this emulator had in mind to make it as faithful as possible to the original console and it is for this reason that I implemented the game genie as well as I did, without adding windows cheat, surely simpler and attractive for the user but less "faithful" ( :roll: mmmmm, thinking about it then I should also delete the save state ...).

In any case, thank you all for your suggestions and support.
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

"HLSL soft stretch" option is very good and useful. This is analog of "Double Size Rendering" option that VirtuaNES has.
geoslake

Post by geoslake »

I get it, although i don't quite see the point of not proposing that kind of thing as an option, as it would just make the games more pleasant to play (as they were meant to be when developed, not as the played on the real nes...)
Yes, I think you should then remove save states but also rom support, only support real cartridges via usb adapter :)
geoslake wrote:Do you consider implementing an option to help with sprites flicking ? (so that i could finally play Tecmo Super Ball :))
I don't think I will. When I started my adventure with this emulator had in mind to make it as faithful as possible to the original console and it is for this reason that I implemented the game genie as well as I did, without adding windows cheat, surely simpler and attractive for the user but less "faithful" ( :roll: mmmmm, thinking about it then I should also delete the save state ...).

In any case, thank you all for your suggestions and support.[/quote]
FHorse

Version 0.84

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
Added an option to pause the emulator when it is in the background.
Added the mapper 31 (2A03 Puritans Album http://rainwarrior.ca/projects/nes/2a03puritans.html).
In the windows version fixed a bug that did not allow proper recognition of the keys with some keyboard layouts.
Thanks to rom test "scanline.nes" I have corrected a timing issue between the CPU and PPU making it even more accurate, while with the test rom "dpcmletterbox.nes" I found and corrected an error in the management of the color pallete. If someone were to find some rom that worked with previous releases and with this not, please contact me.
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

I've just registered to say: thanks for this emulator, it's really great, especially the NTSC filter settings and "smoothness" feeling I like.

One request / question: it would be cool if you can add and option to load/save "savestates as...". I'm currently learning to speedrun Metroid and I would prefer to label my savestate to the different locations I want to "train", e.g. bomb jump to varia or door glitch to icebeam.

Cheers!
x0000

Post by x0000 »

Great work!
But Huge Insect still not playable, one of two versions of scanline.nes that I have works perfectly, the other one not that well, in Micro Machines I still see artifacts that are not supposed to be there. And as I discovered there are some problems with APU with writing to 0x4017 and reading from 0x4015.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I noticed on the first track of 2A03 puritans (jrlepage's introduction), the DPCM does not sound like it is playing correctly. Perhaps a problem with your looped DPCM implementation?

Actually, hmm, the noise channel is also doing strange things. Maybe it's a banking issue, kind of unsure. I can't tell much without a debugger.

Edit: I'm noticing all the tracks with DPCM seem to have problems, and soft-reset fails if done while a track is playing. Are you allowing the $F000-FFFF to be banked? It is initialized to the high bank on power-on, but it should not be fixed.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

Nemisis wrote:One request / question: it would be cool if you can add and option to load/save "savestates as...". I'm currently learning to speedrun Metroid and I would prefer to label my savestate to the different locations I want to "train", e.g. bomb jump to varia or door glitch to icebeam.
I like the idea, I'll do it.
x0000 wrote:But Huge Insect still not playable
The problem is this right? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7954
x0000 wrote:one of two versions of scanline.nes that I have works perfectly, the other one not that well
You probably have the version that does not work well, look here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9768
x0000 wrote:in Micro Machines I still see artifacts that are not supposed to be there.
You mean the line that appears in the center of the screen in the title screen and in the "select game" screen?
x0000 wrote:And as I discovered there are some problems with APU with writing to 0x4017 and reading from 0x4015.
rainwarrior wrote:I noticed on the first track of 2A03 puritans (jrlepage's introduction), the DPCM does not sound like it is playing correctly. Perhaps a problem with your looped DPCM implementation?

Actually, hmm, the noise channel is also doing strange things. Maybe it's a banking issue, kind of unsure. I can't tell much without a debugger.

Edit: I'm noticing all the tracks with DPCM seem to have problems, and soft-reset fails if done while a track is playing. Are you allowing the $F000-FFFF to be banked? It is initialized to the high bank on power-on, but it should not be fixed.
If you is not a problem, I will contact you via private message to see what the problems are and fix them.
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

Another question came to my mind: when using the NTSC filter the aspect gets stretched, the image width increase, the height stays. Is this as intended or a bug?

Thanks.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

rainwarrior wrote:That's intentional: http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Aspect_ratio
Thanks!