Garbled sprites on FDS

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

Zycrow

Re: Garbled sprites on FDS

Post by Zycrow » Thu May 29, 2014 5:53 pm

Yeah, my Famicom is modified to use component cables - it's one of the mods that appears professional (there are cable ports on the side of the system rather than sticking out of the controller wiring, for example). I've historically had a very difficult time getting Famicoms to work with an RF switch, and I vastly prefer the original Famicom design, which was why I went for the modified one rather than the official AV model.

Possibly at some point I'll buy a second Famicom, but given that I've bought a Famicom, a disk system, and a lot of games over the past several months, I may wait a bit before deciding my next move.

Meanwhile, let me know if you guys want me to try anything more within the next couple days before I send Koitsu's hardware back to him.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Thu May 29, 2014 6:56 pm

I've had absolutely nothing but success with multiple Famicoms working on US TVs using RF adapters, specifically the ones that were included with the NES (top or front loader) or the SNES (they're gray boxes with no "game/TV" switch on them -- here is a picture of one). I forget which channel they worked on, but it was either 3 or 4.

I talk about that in this thread. In there I go over what television set I use, and I also went to the extreme of trying the same setup out on my neighbour's LCD TV (which is an actual Japanese TV but using a NES RF adapter -- it was found on either channel 10 or C31, but that's because the TV is actually Japanese).

There's speculation in that thread that the Famicoms I had "were modded" but they were not to my knowledge (the one I tested anyway, but I've done this before on other Famicoms) and I present evidence of it on page 3 last post. Once I got a Famicom AV I gave the non-AV models away, but like I said I had absolutely no issues. But apparently other people have had issues (see thread), so I really don't know what to say. It's always "just worked" for me.

I don't think I have a spare RF adapter I could give you, but I could send you one if you want to try it (I have one for my top-loader NES and one for my SNES, but I forget if I have a 3rd for my front-loader NES or not -- either way they're all interchangeable).

vuehbwhq

Post by vuehbwhq » Fri May 30, 2014 9:48 pm

:? Pokun comments took everyone by surprise here!
I didn't publish what I know before just because for some reason I expected that such info was already known by most users here. I was obviously wrong.
Pokun wrote:Maybe I should try dumping my RAM Adapter since the newer BIOS is already dumped.
Correct. The version tagged as 'original' here is actually the newest known revision. The Twin Famicom one is the same but with changed graphics*, everything else (including the hidden message!) remains untouched. BTW, I think we should dump our RAM adapters anyway :)
Pokun wrote:After starting up with the self-test, hold RIGHT and A buttons and Takao Sawano's hidden message appears. Doesn't work on mine because I have a RAM adapter with the older BIOS.
This must be done before any text appears, otherwise it's too late. Spoiler, yay!
I still hold a dump of the older BIOS, but it was (very) badly copied so it's useless...
* Edit.
Last edited by vuehbwhq on Sat May 31, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Sat May 31, 2014 5:36 am

Ah thank you for the correction! It was a long time ago I tried this on my friend's RAM Adapter. And thank you for the clarification of the different BIOS versions. I guess Sharp didn't know about the secret message when they rebranded the BIOS and thus the copyright notice still says "Nintendo". I wonder if it can be dumped with Kazzo or TapeDump.
koitsu wrote:I've had absolutely nothing but success with multiple Famicoms working on US TVs using RF adapters,
I talk about that in this thread. In there I go over what television set I use, and I also went to the extreme of trying the same setup out on my neighbour's LCD TV (which is an actual Japanese TV but using a NES RF adapter -- it was found on either channel 10 or C31, but that's because the TV is actually Japanese).

There's speculation in that thread that the Famicoms I had "were modded" but they were not to my knowledge (the one I tested anyway, but I've done this before on other Famicoms) and I present evidence of it on page 3 last post. Once I got a Famicom AV I gave the non-AV models away, but like I said I had absolutely no issues. But apparently other people have had issues (see thread), so I really don't know what to say. It's always "just worked" for me.
It's known that using RF with Japanese consoles (including the red & white Famicom) doesn't work on some American TV sets and most European TV sets.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sat May 31, 2014 9:50 am

It might be easiest to get a picture if you set an American TV to "analog cable" and look in channels 95-99.

Zycrow

Post by Zycrow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Here's an update!

So I bought a standard white/red Famicom with no mods over on Famicom World. I initially couldn't get it to work, but I had a second CRT lying around and was able to boot it up using channel 95. This Famicom worked perfectly with my original FDS RAM adapter. I haven't tried out the other one that Koitsu sent me, but after playing 30 minutes or so of SMB2 with no graphical errors whatsoever, I think I feel comfortable in ruling this as an issue with my modded FC.

...which is a shame, because the picture quality from that machine is much better and I greatly prefer the TV setup I have in that room. But that's entirely my own problem. :mrgreen:

There may be one more chapter to this story, as I was able to pick up a junker FDS with a working RAM adapter, so once that comes in I'll give it another test with my modded FC and see what happens.

UPDATE: Third time's the charm - that RAM adapter works with my modded FC, so I didn't have to make any drastic changes to my setup.