puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Joe

Re: puNES Emulator (ex Fnes)

Post by Joe »

nothingtosay wrote:But the math for resampling 48 kHz to 192 kHz is so much simpler than getting 44.1 to there.
An embedded device might have several different resamplers specifically optimized for common ratios, but I guarantee the PC running the emulator has only one resampler that will function at (almost) any ratio of input to output sample rate.

The math for resampling silence is also easier, but the computer still has to perform the same calculations.
tepples

Generality vs. latency

Post by tepples »

True, the PC running puNES has a general-purpose audio path that can resample any frequency. But this audio path tends to add latency. If you can provide the samples at a frequency the sound card knows about, the operating system might offer an API to shortcut past this in favor of a more specialized low-latency audio path. For example, with the low-latency JACK API in Linux, "the sample rate must match the hardware sample rate." Likewise, a WASAPI client under Windows Vista or later needs to call GetMixFormat to determine which sample rate to use.
FHorse

Version 0.86

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
Added sample rate of 48 kHz.
Doubled the overall volume level.
Starting to implement the UNIF (NROM, NROM-128, NROM-256, Sachen-74LS374N, A65AS) format and the Nes 2.0.
Fixed obscure bug that occurred when the code was executed from RAM (Tetris 2 + BomBliss (J) [!].nes now works fine).
Fixed all the bugs with the mapper 31 (2A03 Puritans works well now).
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

coffinshaker wrote:Just so happens I registered in these boards to echo nothingtosay's sentiment. Thank you FHorse for a wonderful emulator all around, and THE best NES emulator for the 'Buntus (Lubuntu in my particular case). You might like to know puNES is the only NES emu capable of actually displaying in 4:3 ratio and using a nearly identical palette to the one CRT TVs showed in my younger years
Many thanks :beer:
FHorse

Version 0.87

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
0.87 (Massive bugfix release)
Fixed all the bugs that did not allow the proper functioning of many gamepads. Are now properly recognized all those tested (XBOX 360 controller, DualShock 2, DualShock 3, DualShock 4, Twin USB Joystick and many other [Thx to Kirkor and to the other "volunteers"]). Linux and Windows versions.
Added support for the UNIF mappers : UOROM, TC-U01-1.5M, SA-NROM, SLROM, 22211, TLROM, TBROM, TKROM, Sachen-8259C, SA-016-1M, Sachen-8259D, ANROM.
coffinshaker

Post by coffinshaker »

Don't know if it's ok to post bugs in here, my apologies if it isn't.

For whatever reason, puNES 0.87 has a strange pulsating/beating/clicking noise in the back of every game's music and SFX.

I'm running Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, 44100 sample rate, stereo, high quality, and all APU channels enabled.

The lshw command tells me I have "NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller" as my SPU so... yeah, I'm guessing that's the thingie that makes sounds...
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

coffinshaker wrote:Don't know if it's ok to post bugs in here, my apologies if it isn't.

For whatever reason, puNES 0.87 has a strange pulsating/beating/clicking noise in the back of every game's music and SFX.

I'm running Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, 44100 sample rate, stereo, high quality, and all APU channels enabled.

The lshw command tells me I have "NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller" as my SPU so... yeah, I'm guessing that's the thingie that makes sounds...
I sent you a private message.
FHorse

Version 0.88

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
Added the possibility to save and load the color palette to/from file. The file format is the same used by FCEUX:
"Palette files are expected to Contain 64 8-bit RGB triplets (each in that order, red comes first in the triplet in the file, then green, then blue).".
To experiment take a look at this post viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11281
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

To FHorse:
The "Low Quality" audio mode is broken since 0.86 or 0.87.
A lot of crackling and pops (batman, bucky o'hare, etc)
I've tested Win32-D3D versions.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

Eugene.S wrote:To FHorse:
The "Low Quality" audio mode is broken since 0.86 or 0.87.
A lot of crackling and pops (batman, bucky o'hare, etc)
I've tested Win32-D3D versions.
You're absolutely right, I was able to reproduce the problem. I'm working on.
FHorse

Version 0.89

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
0.89 (Bugfix release)
In some circumstances, the audio could not be played correctly (crackling and pops). Fixed
nothingtosay

Post by nothingtosay »

Great to have custom palettes now, thanks a lot!

By the way, I'd used xBRZ on SNES games before, but a few days ago I got a filter for VBA-M and tried it out on several games. Man, it really is impressive in action, even on Game Boy games, so it should do equally good work on NES. (It can even make Mario vs. Donkey Kong's blurry sprites look decent, amazingly!) On average I'd say it's a lot better than hq4x, with the only flaw I can see being rounded corners when they're meant to be sharp. It's usually a very acceptable flaw though. I think you'd have the best-looking NES emulator available if you added xBRZ filtering, or at least equal to the best if someone else has xBRZ and custom palette capability.

In any event, thanks again, and all the best to you!
Darkness Knight

Post by Darkness Knight »

nothingtosay wrote:Great to have custom palettes now, thanks a lot!

By the way, I'd used xBRZ on SNES games before, but a few days ago I got a filter for VBA-M.....
Which is the link of download the filter xBRZ for VBA-M?

FHorse: Remember add filter xBRZ (1.000.000x) & no sprite limiter option, is good have enhancements ;).

Salu2 - Darkness Knight
CPU: Core i7 4770k @ 3.9GHz.
GPU: Geforce GTX780 GHz (GK110-B1) @ v340.43 BETA.
SPU: X-Fi Titanium PCIe @ v11.2.40.0008 WHQL.
O.S: Windows 8.1.1 Pro x64.

Mi canal en Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/darknessknightes
tepples

Post by tepples »

I don't see how well a no sprite limit would work with mappers that have read side effects, especially MMC2 and MMC4. A 15-sprite limit would actually be physically realizable: skip all but the first dummy nametable read during sprite fetch.
nothingtosay

Post by nothingtosay »

Darkness Knight wrote:Which is the link of download the filter xBRZ for VBA-M?
VBA-M can use KEGA Fusion filters and you can get a pack with xBRZ included by choosing one of the links from here (some links are dead. I went with DepositFiles). In case you don't know what to do after that, make a folder in your VBA-M directory called plugins and unzip your download in it. Then you should be able to go to "Select Filter Plugin ..." in the emulator and get a drop-down list of them all. The first time I tried it the list was empty; I re-downloaded VBA-M and then it worked.

Sorry for the off-topic.