It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:07 pm 

Sik wrote:
I guess this is a CHR-ROM only hack?

No, I already hacked his "hang-glider" speed.

But I suppose I should create another topic just for this sort of stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:41 pm 

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:
Weren't you the one who did that New New New New New Mario Bros. hack? Anyway, I liked what you did with SMW. Would you like to help out? We can split the work.

As for the music hack, if I'm not mistaken, neither of the roms listed on that page are the '1995' version, which is what I'm working with. I don't know why Gigasoft chose the '1996' version, which has the music glitch. But I patched his hack on my hack and, aside from freezing once, it seems to work alright.

If the graphics hack can be patched to either version, then there shouldn't be a problem. I might make two versions of this patch, we'll see.

Yep, I did New New New New Mario Bros and other few hacks back in the late 90s and early 2000s. Thanks about the compliment on SMW and for the invite to hack Aladdin with you.

Right now I'll have to decline it, sorry. I wish I had more free time for it - but right now I'm finishing my first video game and all my hacking projects are on hold.

I wish all the best for your project and please keep this topic updated with images. I'm very curious too see what will happen.

EDIT (contradicting myself completely):
While I can't commit to make a full (or half!) hack, I'd be more than happy to help with small tasks. For instance I'm ripping the 3-color fonts from the original SNES game.
Hummer Team font is different so I guess it would be nice to have the original one on the NES version:

The original cursor (Genie's hand) also have just a few colors and can be directly ripped from SNES to NES:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:12 pm 

Macbee wrote:
right now I'm finishing my first video game

So am I! But, honestly, mine's probably a lot simpler.

Macbee wrote:
I'm ripping the 3-color fonts from the original SNES game.
Hummer Team font is different so I guess it would be nice to have the original one on the NES version:

The original cursor (Genie's hand) also have just a few colors and can be directly ripped from SNES to NES:

Great stuff! But first I need to straighten out which version of the rom I have so I can make sure we're all patching the same thing here.

As for my progress, here's what I've done:
Does that look good to everyone? Anyone wanna make some last minute changes? Once I hack this in, it will be a nuisance to go back and edit it again.

Also, I'm splitting up the project into two categories: gameplay mechanics and graphics.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:40 am 

Quote:
As for the music hack, if I'm not mistaken, neither of the roms listed on that page are the '1995' version, which is what I'm working with. I don't know why Gigasoft chose the '1996' version, which has the music glitch.

Quote:
I looked into that version, and that's not the one I have either!

Quote:
First I need to straighten out which version of the rom I have so I can make sure we're all patching the same thing here.

Judging from your sentences I bet you are using "Aladdin (Unl) [p1][hM04].nes"

No idea if it is a good dump nor what "hM04" means, but its music seems good!

This is only info from GoodNES 3.23b doc :

Quote:
[hFFE] FFE Copier fmt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:51 am 

"hM04" means "hacked to mapper 4"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:51 am 

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:
So am I! But, honestly, mine's probably a lot simpler.

My game is very simple too. It's another fake 8-bit game for Windows, simulating an original Nintendo title.

Macbee wrote:
Great stuff! But first I need to straighten out which version of the rom I have so I can make sure we're all patching the same thing here.

Thank you! OK, please let me know the name of your ROM and I'll keep changing some gfx after this. :)

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:
As for my progress, here's what I've done:
Does that look good to everyone? Anyone wanna make some last minute changes? Once I hack this in, it will be a nuisance to go back and edit it again.
Also, I'm splitting up the project into two categories: gameplay mechanics and graphics.

It looks amazing! But I believe we still have to change the colors.
Here's my suggestion for new colors (and changes for a couple of pixels):

And this is my suggestion for the top graphics of password screen:
Hummer (above)
My conversion from SNES (below)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:54 pm 

FARID wrote:
Judging from your sentences I bet you are using "Aladdin (Unl) [p1][hM04].nes"

I found one titled Aladdin (Unl) [p1][hM04] and another Aladdin (E) [p1][hM04] (the latter being an exact match to the one I'm using).

The only difference between the two is byte 06, which reads:
'40' on Aladdin (Unl) [p1][hM04] and
'41' on Aladdin (E) [p1][hM04]. :?

Macbee wrote:
My game is very simple too. It's another fake 8-bit game for Windows, simulating an original Nintendo title.

Mine too! :mrgreen:

Macbee wrote:
It looks amazing! But I believe we still have to change the colors.
Here's my suggestion for new colors (and changes for a couple of pixels):

Yeah, we should probably go ahead and figure out the palette for the sprites first.

What are the values you're using there? I'd like to test them out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:59 pm 

Huh, isn't the red in that palette used for the apples? Doesn't sound like a good idea to replace it =/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:11 pm 

You are correct; that is also the only readily available red which can be used.

Speaking of which, I would like to change Aladdin's cap to be red, which would allow us a palette with red in it. But I don't know how to assign the color of the apple to a different palette.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:06 pm 

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:
Mine too! :mrgreen:

Pretty cool! I'd love to see more about about it. :)

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:
Yeah, we should probably go ahead and figure out the palette for the sprites first.
What are the values you're using there? I'd like to test them out.

I basically replaced 37 with 27 (for his skin) and 16 for 17 (red to brown).

Sik wrote:
Huh, isn't the red in that palette used for the apples? Doesn't sound like a good idea to replace it =/

Yep, this is a big problem.
However my opinion is: Hummer Team sacrificed a good-looking Aladdin to make a good looking apple. And I *personally* think it's better to sacrifice a good looking apple to put a good-looking Aladdin on screen. At least on stage 1 there are no other red objects than apple and half of Aladdin.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:15 pm 

People would sacrifice structural integrity to make a good-looking apple.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:55 pm 

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:

I don't know if you're accepting suggestions for gameplay changes but I really would like to see these:
1) Make "A" button jump and "B" run/attack (like the majority of platform games for the NES).
2) Make Aladdin glide pressing "A" again (while in the air, like a double-jump mechanic) instead of using "Select".
3) Improve Aladdin's jump when he's not running (it's almost useless, he must be running to jump decently).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:16 pm 

It seems like there's two possible ways to solve this dilemma; either stay with the default palette, or rebuild the graphical assets to have a more optimized color system, maybe switch colors out when they are no longer in use for anything, if at all possible. The guard, for example, would suffice just being skin tone/white/black, and you could probably layer some sprites on him to give him color. His palette could also be used for Aladdin's main body, with a sprite for his hat, waist, and shirt. Of course, you'd have to fight flicker all the time if you chose to go this way, but the game already has very few enemies moving around at once. In hindsight, it's almost exactly how the pirate game handles the colors, so I guess you could discount what I said.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:59 pm 

From the looks of it, that palette choice doesn't fare well in gameplay:

Aladdin blends with the background.

The guard shares the same palette.

So does... whatever the hell this thing is, but, to be honest, it looks pretty good.

I'm leaning towards not changing Aladdin's red to brown. Realistically speaking, the NES's red is already sort of brown anyway.

Of course, we could also question the integrity of stage's palette for the buildings and backdrops compared to the SNES version. That's probably what I'll look into next.

I know these sidequests may not be very entertaining, but, damnit, I'd like to make a good hack. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:36 pm 

I've suggested palette changes for Aladdin considering new colors (and graphics) for backgrounds as well.
I'm making some new tests and so far I have these mockups:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next