SF1ROM help?

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
guitarzombie

SF1ROM help?

Post by guitarzombie »

Im making a Super Mario Unlimited and my bases loaded is an SF1ROM, not SFROM. But the chip says LD-0, so its not another revision or something. Wired it up, cant get it to boot.

Im using a 27c301 for the prg and just a regular 27c256 for the CHR. The 301 only needs one wire (pin 2 to gnd) but cant figure out whats up. But I cant find any information on this specific board. Anyone have any experience with this board?
lidnariq

Re: SF1ROM help?

Post by lidnariq »

SF1ROM is very similar to SLROM-04 and newer. (Edit: can't direct link to NesCartDB image pages)

You've most likely got some other mistake such as a bad connection or something, nothing specific to SF1ROM.
Last edited by lidnariq on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

Hrm, ok ill double check. Chips came out without a break in the traces, and only 1 wire to solder.

*EDIT*

I dunno, i think its the board somehow.

I pulled out the chips and they verified. Resoldered, even put in new chips. Same deal
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

Luckily I saved the chips for this SF1ROM and it looks like the PRG is listed as LD-2 and the SFROM board looking on the cart db is listed as LD-1 and the SFEXROM version is LD-0. 3 different types of chips, where as the CHR for each is always LD-0.

This leads to me as I suspected that the PRG pinout is different for each of these. Now I gotta figure it out, unless someone has already decoded it :P
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Since SF1ROM appears to be a singleton for just Bases Loaded ... sorry
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

Well I got curious and decided to go with my hunch about the PRG being different aaaaaaaaaand...

:Trumpet fanfare:

looks like its a standard JEDEC/eprom pinout!

It has an MMC1B1-H, so I cross referenced the pinout with the nes edge pins and the mmc1 pinout and looks like

a16 is prg pin 2
a17 is pin 30 and the
/oe is pin 24 (connected to mmc1s pin 5)

everything else checked out.
Could this be the only NES officially released game with a 128K+ size that follows a standard JEDEC pinout? Its hard to tell cuz bases loaded's prg is 256 so its 32 pins already.

And just to see that I was 100% right, since I still had the original LD-2 chip, I opened up my burner and read the chip under the 020 setting. I even then split the Bases loaded rom, and verified the spit roms PRG with what was on that chip.