WAH-HOO

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Estlib

WAH-HOO

Post by Estlib »

its almost 4am, i got school tomorrow and all i did today was this:
NOPE.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: WAH-HOO

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Almost 4 am? Where do you live? It's 8 pm in Texas 8-) I like the picture though. (Is it going to be a graphics hack of SMB?)
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

Espozo wrote:Almost 4 am? Where do you live? It's 8 pm in Texas 8-) I like the picture though. (Is it going to be a graphics hack of SMB?)
nah, i made it with the idea to be a new game (based possibly on smb3 engine). besides, you havent seen underground yet, you havent seen underwater levels yet - you aint seen nuthn yet.
also, 6 hours later im in school now. FYI i live in Estonia.
NOPE.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Almost 4 am? Where do you live? It's 8 pm in Texas
Well the computation is very easy. Texas is in UTC-6 area, and he has 8 hours of advance on you. Therefore he is in a UTC+2 area. (ok he confirmed this in-between, but this doesn't change the problem).

The background looks really good ! However I do not personally like how this altered mario sprite looks. Too realistic and not enough cartoony for Mario. The coins being not perfectly round is a bit weird.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

Bregalad wrote:
Almost 4 am? Where do you live? It's 8 pm in Texas
Well the computation is very easy. Texas is in UTC-6 area, and he has 8 hours of advance on you. Therefore he is in a UTC+2 area. (ok he confirmed this in-between, but this doesn't change the problem).

The background looks really good ! However I do not personally like how this altered mario sprite looks. Too realistic and not enough cartoony for Mario. The coins being not perfectly round is a bit weird.
i couldnt draw mario better :C
NOPE.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

I quite like this kind of Mario, much more than the original.
tepples

Post by tepples »

So do I. One change I'd recommend is to add a couple more pixels of below the hat.

The only thing that could beat it is if someone made sprites based on the art style of the Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World cartoons.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I like it. Coins could be more yellow/orange, and look less like fried eggs. Another detail I dislike is the use of red for outlining Mario's pants, and the light colored shoes (it looks like he's barefoot).
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

tepples wrote:So do I. One change I'd recommend is to add a couple more pixels of below the hat.

The only thing that could beat it is if someone made sprites based on the art style of the Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World cartoons.
tokumaru wrote:I like it. Coins could be more yellow/orange, and look less like fried eggs. Another detail I dislike is the use of red for outlining Mario's pants, and the light colored shoes (it looks like he's barefoot).
Added more to the hat, a bit more facial hair and black shoes now. classy. but i didnt change the color of the coins because its shared with the ? blocks and i didnt want to use the orange-yellow for it because THAT looks like a fried egg to me.
the red outlining on mario came out of struggle that the pants & edge would be the same color. so it goes unchanged for now.
As for the cartoony mario spriting.... i am not that good of a charachter spriter to be able to make sprites that resemble the cartoon mario accurately. could give it a shot one day though.

also, heres the massive sheet of things for this mockup:
NOPE.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Have you considered making the shoes red? I think it looks closer to the brown they were supposed to be, and has the advantage of limiting the use of a lighter color for outlining, which IMO looks weird.
Attachments
mario-red-shoes.png
mario-red-shoes.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 8014 times
Sik

Post by Sik »

My biggest complaint with Mario's sprite is that he isn't fat enough... or is that Luigi in Mario's clothes? O_O
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

Sik wrote:My biggest complaint with Mario's sprite is that he isn't fat enough... or is that Luigi in Mario's clothes? O_O
i suck at charachters :C
NOPE.
Sik

Post by Sik »

Eh, just a column more of pixels at the belly to make it more rounded would do the job.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

Sik wrote:Eh, just a column more of pixels at the belly to make it more rounded would do the job.
went ahead and did "luigi" too.
NOPE.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Seeing that Luigi isn't just a palette swap, (stomach) you might also want to make his head a little thinner

Edit: I edited yours if you want to use it
Mario and Luigi.png
Mario and Luigi.png (729 Bytes) Viewed 7925 times