SNES Pixel Art

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

SNES Pixel Art

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Basically, just go crazy. 2bpp, 4bpp, and 8bpp graphics are aloud, but please state which one you are using and don't use over 8 palettes in 2bpp mode or in 4bpp mode unless you say you are changing colors mid scan line. (Basically, the graphics just need to work on real hardware.) Also, It is preferred if you try to use the 15bit color space, but it isn't the end of the world if you don't because in terms of color fidelity, it doesn't look too far off from 24 bit color.

Here's some artwork of a space-cloud thing I did. (It's 2bpp and the palette is on the top left)

1x:
Space Cloud.png
Space Cloud.png (2.03 KiB) Viewed 10246 times
2x:
Space Cloudx2.png
Space Cloudx2.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 10246 times
4x:
Space Cloudx4.png
Space Cloudx4.png (2.85 KiB) Viewed 10246 times
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: SNES Pixel Art

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Here's another thing that I've had for awhile that I feel like posting. It's a female character that I felt I would put in a Contra-Style game, but I never even got to putting arms on. I think I'll get back to it some other day.

1x:
player2.png
player2.png (523 Bytes) Viewed 10209 times
2x:
player2 2x.png
player2 2x.png (569 Bytes) Viewed 10209 times
4x:
player2 4x.png
player2 4x.png (697 Bytes) Viewed 10209 times
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

Here is an animation from the game I'm working on. This is 20fps.
Attachments
kicking animation 2.gif
kicking animation 2.gif (7.02 KiB) Viewed 10146 times
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Err, I drew this guy a while ago. I think it fits the constraints just fine. Stylistically I think it looks more like an '80s era game, so maybe PC-Engine is a closer approximation.

I think for the most part the graphics of this game I did with a friend a few years ago qualify as well:

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

psycopathicteen wrote:Here is an animation from the game I'm working on. This is 20fps
I'm curious, but what kind of game would the character be in? I'm in between and action/adventure plat former or a beat em up based on the kicking move. I remember you having another version of the character with teal hair where you said an interesting remark... I think the legs looked better in that version because they where a different thickness at different parts of the leg, but I don't know if you changed it because you want a more "cartoony" look.
mikejmoffitt wrote:Err, I drew this guy a while ago. I think it fits the constraints just fine. Stylistically I think it looks more like an '80s era game, so maybe PC-Engine is a closer approximation.
I know you said stylistically, but I don't think it could be a PC-Engine game based on the color fidelity. Also, what was the game you made created with? I don't really have an interest in making computer games, but I'm just curious.

Now... Here's the first frame of an explosion I'm trying to draw.

1x:
explotion.png
explotion.png (932 Bytes) Viewed 10082 times
2x:
explotion 2x.png
explotion 2x.png (1006 Bytes) Viewed 10082 times
3x:
explotion 4x.png
explotion 4x.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 10082 times
Does anyone know how to make good looking explosions? Mine look a little too much like popcorn.

By the way, I like how are of our graphics use completely different art styles, with psychopathicteen's looking a bit anime, mikejmoffitt's kind of reminding me of indie games that are supposed to look like old games (I've found that a lot of them don't really shade their sprites that much and almost look like 16-bit renditions of early NES games), and mine, which I'm trying (but failing) to give a somewhat serious tone but still making it a bit "cartoony".
tepples

Post by tepples »

I wrote a guide to making explosions based on the one I made for Thwaite. It's 2bpp but you could consider adapting it to higher bit depth.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I think it looks good, but maybe a bit too circular. I think it would work a bit better if the picture was more of a cluster of circles. It does look perfect for a firework though.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I guess that's a good thing, because the game is about repurposing fireworks as a makeshift missile defense system.

And is this what you meant by "don't really shade"? I took my NES sprite, disambiguated the clothing colors a bit, and darkened the outlines and undersides of things.
Attachments
dont_really_shade.gif
dont_really_shade.gif (13.22 KiB) Viewed 10062 times
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

tepples wrote:I took my NES sprite, disambiguated the clothing colors a bit, and darkened the outlines and undersides of things.
A lot of games I've seen either don't hardly shade anything, or when they do, they make the shade color so close to the regular one that you can't even tell. (Which wouldn't be very possible on the PC-Engine or Genesis because of only having 512 colors.) I was thinking about how Mario's sprite in SMB doesn't have any parts shaded on it unlike in SMB 3 where they used black.

I did some stuff to the runner that mikejmoffitt made. I ended up using a lot more colors, but you could always get rid of some of the middle shades for the same general idea.

Old:
run1.png
run1.png (537 Bytes) Viewed 10065 times
New:
run2.png
run2.png (949 Bytes) Viewed 10065 times
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Espozo wrote: I did some stuff to the runner that mikejmoffitt made. I ended up using a lot more colors, but you could always get rid of some of the middle shades for the same general idea.

Old:
run1.png
New:
run2.png
You might end up with higher contrast when you quantize the colors to suitable matches on the PCE palette, but there's nothing really preventing it from being on that platform.

The shading detail is well done, but I've always been more of a fan of two or three tone shading, similar to what the Street Fighter Alpha series does, compared to the smooth gradient type seen in Street Fighter 2. I guess in some circumstances people may refer to it as pillow shading, though that is only really a problem when the light source isn't well established or is dead center on the object.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Alright, after several days of "hard work", I finally made another explosion sprite and I wanted to know if everyone thinks this one looks better. (I can tell I'm going to have a "blast" animating this. :roll:)

1x:
explotion2.png
explotion2.png (566 Bytes) Viewed 9882 times
2x:
explotion2 2x.png
explotion2 2x.png (680 Bytes) Viewed 9882 times
4x:
explotion2 4x.png
explotion2 4x.png (896 Bytes) Viewed 9882 times
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

That actually looks really good!
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Thank you! I personally think I'm a better artist than a programmer, but unfortunately, I like programing more than drawing. The problem I have with programming is that I'm too scared to write anything too inefficient, as I usually somewhat know how to do something but always ask for help to see if I'm doing it correctly. I'm also crazy about how my art looks, as I usually always try to make something look better but usually just end up messing it up. (I had to force myself to upload this to stop myself from working on it.) I'm a bit concerned about how long it would take me to draw whole levels (I don't really like repetitive tiles and would probably replace some every time the screen scrolled) if it took me about three days just to draw that.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

I think you would want to boost the contrast a bit on the explosion, and also work on the edges to make them darker a bit.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

explotion2.png
explotion2.png (583 Bytes) Viewed 9807 times
explotion2 2x.png
explotion2 2x.png (703 Bytes) Viewed 9807 times
explotion2 4x.png
explotion2 4x.png (908 Bytes) Viewed 9807 times
Any better? I'm trying not to make the explosion too dark, because it is going to be the first frame.

Edit: I got a cool idea to make BG3 look better if anyone wants to hear (It probably wont be worth it though, because it will take up about 1/4 of vram!) I was thinking you could use a 256x512 tile map and have every 8 tiles downwards have a different color palette. You would then use HDMA to change the y scrolling position to have the second line on the screen be the eighth on the tile map and the 3rd to be the 16th and so on. Eventually, the tile map would run out 32 pixels down the screen and at this point, you would use HDMA to change the tile map parameters to display a new tile map and you would set the y position to 0 again.