It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:26 am 

ArsonIzer wrote:
I tried running the PPU only one cycle per CPU cycle while VBlank is active, i.e. the CPU runs 3 times faster/the PPU runs 3 times slower during VBlank. This does not have any effect on any of the games.

When the PPU is disabled (sprite/background rendering turned off), make sure that the PPU renderer is not modifying the V and T loopy registers; only the CPU should be messing around with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:35 am 

zeroone wrote:
When the PPU is disabled (sprite/background rendering turned off), make sure that the PPU renderer is not modifying the V and T loopy registers; only the CPU should be messing around with them.

Yes, I saw your thread about that, but that's not the case with mine. I made a 100% sure that it doesn't touch loopyV and loopyT if it's not rendering. LoopyV and LoopyT updating is probably not the issue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:19 pm 

Update: I fixed the bug that makes the emulator pick the wrong pattern table from the CHR data in a rom. This fixes a lot of the wrong graphics, but some MMC1 ROMs still crash (double dragon, abadox), and some still have confusing nametable issues (mega man 2, final fantasy, adventures in the magic kingdom). I'll look into those ASAP.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:30 pm 

ArsonIzer wrote:

Mega Man 2 never crashes, the graphics are just f'd up. Here's what happens further into the game:

(After pressing start again the stage pick screen is screwed up)
:
:
:

(Stages are graphically completely messed up but still playable as if the game was running completely normally)

Any ideas? The 4 other mappers work perfectly but this one doesn't at all.

I managed to solve this! :)

My own emulator suffered from the same problem until I realised that MMC1, unlike simpler mappers such as NROM, can change the mirroring mode multiple times during the game. I was originally setting the mirroring mode from the cartridge rom property but for MMC1 one must also update it memory mapping whenever a change in the mirroring mode occurs. I fixed this by exposing an event in my Cartridge class that is fired whenever the program writes to the $8000-$9FFF addtress range in MMC1 (the rom's control register range).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:10 pm 

colinvella wrote:
I was originally setting the mirroring mode from the cartridge rom property but for MMC1 one must also update it memory mapping whenever a change in the mirroring mode occurs.

If the mirroring is mapper controlled the ROM header's mirroring setting is irrelevant.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:05 pm 

Quote:
I managed to solve this! :)

My own emulator suffered from the same problem until I realised that MMC1, unlike simpler mappers such as NROM, can change the mirroring mode multiple times during the game. I was originally setting the mirroring mode from the cartridge rom property but for MMC1 one must also update it memory mapping whenever a change in the mirroring mode occurs. I fixed this by exposing an event in my Cartridge class that is fired whenever the program writes to the $8000-$9FFF addtress range in MMC1 (the rom's control register range).

From the posted Megaman 2 screenshots. That seems to be the problem. MMC1 is typically the first mapper that novice emulator devs implement, that support dynamic mirroring via registers. Simpler mappers like NROM usually specify mirroring once in the ROM file itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:46 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
colinvella wrote:
I was originally setting the mirroring mode from the cartridge rom property but for MMC1 one must also update it memory mapping whenever a change in the mirroring mode occurs.

If the mirroring is mapper controlled the ROM header's mirroring setting is irrelevant.

One additional note: You might want to consider initializing the mapper's mirroring setting from the ROM header's setting to stay compatible with some incorrect ROM headers (e.g. mapper 4 being used for mapper 206 games).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:51 pm 

Or mappers where only some of the boards have a mapping register. It doesn't hurt, unless there is a known initial value that software relies on…which is somewhat unusual.