SNES Pixel Art

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: SNES Pixel Art

Post by Drew Sebastino »

This has to be possibly the lousiest update ever, but I got a palette done for the explosion.
Explotion Palette.png
Explotion Palette.png (225 Bytes) Viewed 7344 times
The main thing I wanted to ask was I know that transparent sprites on the SNES are sprite palettes 4-8, (edit: palettes are numbered 0-7, not 1-8) but do you know if all four have to be transparent, or if you can just pick one or two of the four to be transparent? I think a transparent explosion would be cool, but not if I only have four other palettes to use.
Last edited by Drew Sebastino on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I thought I remembered that when you enabled transparency on sprites, that half of them would be transparent, while the other half would stay normal. (Did I just respond to nobody?)
Last edited by Drew Sebastino on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I made a post then deleted it because I wasn't aware of the palette 4-7 difference described in this document.
RushJet1

Post by RushJet1 »

I know it's not SNES but probably one of the better NES explosions. Can't find an animated one and don't have time to make one.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

RushJet1 wrote:Image

I know it's not SNES but probably one of the better NES explosions. Can't find an animated one and don't have time to make one.
That's a very exciting looking explosion. Is the rest of it much the same way?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

The animation is not as cool as it looks, IIRC. It quickly animates to a full blast and kinda pauses in that frame, it's weird.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

The pictures gone... (never mind, the dumb web filter at my school didn't allow it to show...) Also, If anyone was wondering, the game with the explosion was Metal Storm, which was an NES game published by Irem. (My second favorite videogame company, behind Rareware.)
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Well, I was occupied for a while and I have some more free time right now, so I think I'll post this. It's the character from earlier in a slightly different position with arms and a gun.

Edit: I fixed the pictures a bit and changed them because the arm was a bit ugly...

1x:
player2.png
player2.png (591 Bytes) Viewed 7133 times
2x:
player2 x2.png
player2 x2.png (637 Bytes) Viewed 7133 times
4x:
player2 x4.png
player2 x4.png (775 Bytes) Viewed 7133 times
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

I'm getting Amiga vibes from that haha.
Looks pretty good ~
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Thank you, I'm just so picky that I redid it a bit and I'm posting it now...
player2.png
player2.png (599 Bytes) Viewed 7101 times
player2 2x.png
player2 2x.png (632 Bytes) Viewed 7101 times
player2 4x.png
player2 4x.png (767 Bytes) Viewed 7101 times
The main reason I did this was to actually get the thing to fit into 16x16 tiles a bit better (because I like 16x16 and 32x32 tiles), but I also redid it a bit to make it look better. One problem with the other one was that the butt of the gun stuck out to make the arm look fat, so I just got rid of it. If I were to think of my artwork, I'd say of a scale from "cartoony" to real, It would look something like:

Metal Slug
Gunforce 2
mine
DKC
Mortal Kombat

It actually fits into 2 16x16's and 2 8x8's, even though I'm using 16x16's the walking animation will obviously have to have more sprites for the legs.
DragonDePlatino

Post by DragonDePlatino »

Hey...seeing all these explosions got me thinking...what if you tried to create a radially-symmetric explosion? You would have to go for a very stylized look, but you could create a 64x64 explosion by only drawing the 32x32 parts of the explosion. Here's a really rough example of what I'm talking about...Ideally the final explosion would be seamless along the boundaries and use a lot more colors.

(6 frames of 32x32 sprites)

Oh! Or you could go for a really stylized circle-style explosion like I did for my Dig Dug NES sheet:

The whole thing only uses 8 minisprites, but it takes up a 64x64 space and creates no sprite flickering by itself. Frames 9-16 are 8 overlapping minisprites across at their widest points.
benjaminsantiago

Post by benjaminsantiago »

Here is a gif screencap of an old demo. I was pretty happy with the little animation.

Getting into more intricate/usable stuff soon
Attachments
tumblr_n71b6svG931qg44syo1_500.gif
mic_

Post by mic_ »

Not SNES, but Shienryu has some of my favorite pixelated explosions:

Looks even better when animated and you've got lots of burning debris flying across the screen.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I don't think this should come as a surprise...