YPbPr ouput mod for SNES consoles (Resurrected)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
mikejmoffitt

Re: YPbPr ouput mod for SNES consoles (Resurrected)

Post by mikejmoffitt »

tepples wrote:There is less efficient: a CHIP-8 emulator for NES in PocketNES in VisualBoyAdvance GX in Dolphin in VirtualBox. Do it! :twisted:

Now back to choosing the proper components for component video from an authentic console.
You forgot the host system running in Qemu!
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

I know he was part of the reason why the previous thread got locked, but kyuusaku/Calpis suggested using the THS7314 in AC coupled mode on ASSEMbler. I'm tempted to try it out on my Super Fami (which uses the SHVC-CPU-01 board) even though I mainly use RGB. Here it is if anyone else wants to try it:

kriskizlyk

Post by kriskizlyk »

Well...super disappointed with the Retron 5. The controller uses micro switches and analog sticks which is horrible, I know I can use the original controllers but I bought it because it was bluetooth. I was holding out that eventually someone would exploit it so that it could run my Ever carts but that doesn't look promising.

Really the only good thing about it is that it is HDMI and the picture looks amazing.

I explored other options like a PiTendo which is still a great idea, but if I am going to play Retro...I want to play my original carts, system and the expensive Evercarts as well.

So I took Mr. "getafixx"'s advice and bought a XRBG Mini. This means I won't be re-resurrecting my YPbPr board just yet because the Snes has a RBG output and therefore I will get the Scart cable.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

By "Evercarts" do you mean Everdrive? The Retron 5 will never support that, it's fundamentally incompatible.
getafixx

Post by getafixx »

kriskizlyk wrote: So I took Mr. "getafixx"'s advice and bought a XRBG Mini.
Have you received it yet? What do you think of it?
kriskizlyk

Post by kriskizlyk »

rainwarrior wrote:By "Evercarts" do you mean Everdrive? The Retron 5 will never support that, it's fundamentally incompatible.
Yep, I am just as bitter about it as you are!
kriskizlyk

Post by kriskizlyk »

getafixx wrote:
kriskizlyk wrote: So I took Mr. "getafixx"'s advice and bought a XRBG Mini.
Have you received it yet? What do you think of it?
I just ordered it today so it won't be here for a few days to a week. I am just trying to make sure I get the correct cables ordered. I would like to get my Nes, Snes, N64 and Genesis all using the RBG Scart cable using the least amount of mods. I have to get some sort of IR switcher of course just haven't found anything yet,
getafixx

Post by getafixx »

Not sure about NES, but the N64 for sure has to be modded and only certain models can be modded at all. I bought RGB cables for both my SNES and Genesis as those both output RGB natively anyways, but my N64 doesn't have the right encoder chip so I can't mod it. Oh well, the S-video still looks pretty damn good when hooked into the XRGB :)
tepples

Post by tepples »

In theory, S-Video ought to look as good as component for any 240p or 480i signal whose chroma doesn't exceed 373 distinct (Pb, Pr) samples per line. VCD has 176, DVD has 352, Genesis has 350 (320 picture + 30 border), and Super NES has 280 (256 picture + 24 border). Only hi-res backgrounds on the Super NES exceed this with 560 samples (512 picture + 48 border), and apart from RPM Racing, most games that use hi-res probably use it for white text (which doesn't have chroma).
Sik

Post by Sik »

I was under the impression that it just merged two consecutive pixels into one (so in theory it's still outputting the same amount of pixels in the end).
tepples

Post by tepples »

Hi-res may appear to merge two pixels into one if you've been playing with composite. In composite, each hi-res pixel covers one-third of a period of the chroma subcarrier, and most SDTVs (as opposed to computer monitors) will blur more than 500 pixels across anyway. But if you display menu of SIMBA firmware for the SNES PowerPak, you can tell the difference. I don't have a screenshot handy at the moment, so have a diagonal line drawn with both "merged" (sub+main)/2 and "hi-res" sub-then-main blending modes.
Attachments
Two blend modes<br />Left: What happens when you &quot;merge two consecutive pixels&quot;<br />Right: What happens when you display both pixels
Two blend modes
Left: What happens when you "merge two consecutive pixels"
Right: What happens when you display both pixels
mergeconsecutive.png (402 Bytes) Viewed 4931 times
Sik

Post by Sik »

Well, I'm going by how the documentation says that the mode uses up the blending hardware (which means you can't use the blending functions in this mode), as well as the fact that it's called "H-Pseudo 512".
kriskizlyk

Post by kriskizlyk »

getafixx wrote:Not sure about NES, but the N64 for sure has to be modded and only certain models can be modded at all. I bought RGB cables for both my SNES and Genesis as those both output RGB natively anyways, but my N64 doesn't have the right encoder chip so I can't mod it. Oh well, the S-video still looks pretty damn good when hooked into the XRGB :)
Ok the XRBG mini has come in! Now I am confused by this cable...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Super-Nintendo-s ... 1548189620?

Its a SNES to SCART but it says not to use with XRBG with out a converter...forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean? Also, what splitter do you use when it comes to switching between consoles, assuming you do so, Genesis/Nes/SNES?
kaczawara

Post by kaczawara »

Hello to all of you.
I would like to ask a question about the component mod. I`m new here so sorry in advance if I make any mistake :)

Little description:
1. I did the component mod on PAL SNES without any circuits and it looked horible, apart from that no problems.
2. I added 75ohm resistors to eache of the lines and the picture was perfect, but somting whent wrong and my TV started turning of the picture randomly.
3. I made a circuit to amp blue, aded a pot to red and left 75 ohm resistor on green, again picture was perfect, but the turning of persisted.
4. I noticed that the turning off is hapening more often when the picture is moving.
5. Doesnt mater if it is PAL or NTSC game or 50 / 60 hz picture.
6. SNES is conected straight to the component_in on the TV (by good quality composite cable not component).

Eny idea what may cause the turning off of the picture? Generaly it is working ok for some time and then turns off sudenly for ~2seconds and then back on.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

kriskizlyk wrote:
getafixx wrote:Not sure about NES, but the N64 for sure has to be modded and only certain models can be modded at all. I bought RGB cables for both my SNES and Genesis as those both output RGB natively anyways, but my N64 doesn't have the right encoder chip so I can't mod it. Oh well, the S-video still looks pretty damn good when hooked into the XRGB :)
Ok the XRBG mini has come in! Now I am confused by this cable...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Super-Nintendo-s ... 1548189620?

Its a SNES to SCART but it says not to use with XRBG with out a converter...forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean? Also, what splitter do you use when it comes to switching between consoles, assuming you do so, Genesis/Nes/SNES?
The XRGB series that have 21-pin connectors use a pinout commonly called "JP21". Same connector as scart, wired differently.

For your XRGB mini, though, you've already got to get a Mini-DIN adapter, so just make sure you get one wired for euro scart.

As for switchers, I personally recommend ditching SCART entirely and building VGA cables for RGB video, and using the common VGA switching hardware that is plentiful thanks to the last twenty years of computing.