SMB1 + SMB2J SRAM Plus (FDS hack)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

ShaneM

Re: SMB1 + SMB2J SRAM Plus (FDS hack)

Post by ShaneM »

Myask wrote:Yeah, probably just fewer coins.

But I'm talking about the brick to the left of the stairs, not the one to the right. It doesn't look like the stairs moved, comparing scenery and the upper platform. Just those two bricks.
Ah. I see what you mean, now. Yes, that is indeed #6; good find!

The infinite 1-UP trick is actually not present in the beta build there, since that brick is needed to accomplish it in that part. I truly wonder why it was added to the final to begin with? Big Mario/Luigi can easily break it and little Mario/Luigi can just jump it. I truly believe it was added for that purpose of getting more lives.

Proof of this can be seen as Nintendo themselves mention it on page 84 of the official SMB2J guide. (They make mention of how to accomplish this as well as in other locations; the others being the first part of 1-1 at the beginning of the level with the Red Koopa, 2-1 at the beginning by stomping a Koopa repeatedly on the stairs, the beginning of 2-3 using the Koopa before the fish bridge, 6-1 using the Buzzy Beetle at the beginning of the level and 7-1, 7-2, 8-2 and A-1. Though these last four are just mentioned in the guide but don't state how to perform them.) --ShaneM, the Master of ASM
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

I've got a new build coming tomorrow. As well as a new beta shot and some other interesting news. Stay tuned. --The Master of ASM
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

ShaneM wrote: Now, look at the attached picture below. You'll see the same clip of the beginning of C-1 except for: 1) It seems to take place at day, with a Snowy terrain (the All-Stars version has this level as a Snowy Night one). 2) The level is different with arrangement of blocks and slightly different spacing. 3) The level is assigned as 5-1 rather than C-1. Does this imply that 5-1 was changed at last minute and the original 5-1 was moved to C-1? In intrigues me whether what's now known as 5-1 may have been C-1 at the time and swapped before release or if the current 5-1 didn't exist at the time. 4) As usual, the beta ground tiles are also used.

EDIT: The pipes in the beta screenshot replaces the vertical blocks used in the final level with bricks.
So from this post on page 8 of this thread, I actually found a game guide on Ebay from a Japanese seller which uses this exact same screenshot, but in color! My assumptions were all dead on. (See below.)

After it, you'll see a beta shot of the Game Over menu. Some things to note:

1) It replaces the mushroom used on the final Game Over menu with a big white circle. Not sure if this is just a placeholder or not, but the final uses the mini mushrooms used on various platforms.

2) It is clear from reading the manual that the mushroom from the title screen menu was originally going to be used.

Here is a new build of both SMB1 and SMB2J. It corrects A-3 of SMB2J as well as B-4's Warp area. In addition, I've further fixed wind collisions on both builds. Previously, the player could still go through springs, an oversight on my part. That's now fixed. I've also improved sunset and snow palettes since the last time. Patch these to an SMB2J ROM with a crc16 of BA55. --ShaneM, the Master of ASM

Last edited by ShaneM on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

The RCs are out of the way now that I'm ready to release the final versions, real soon. Keep an eye out for them early next week. I've also created a cool new version of SMB2J that will serve as a mini hack, too. So, in all, look out for all three games soon! --ShaneM, the Master of ASM
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

What's the delay, you ask? Well, I've added back the mushroom platforms! Ripped from ANNSMB and recoded from scratch. I had to optimize code to earn around 20 free bytes to pull this off, but I did it! Honestly, I didn't do it earlier because space was so tight and I optimized all I could (...so I thought). Will be ready soon. I had to basically renumber all BG IDs to make room for the lower stems.

I've also added some more surprises. The wait will well be worth it; trust me. --ShaneM, the Master of ASM

EDIT: Who would like to see eyes on the mushroom platforms?
Attachments
sm2.png
sm2.png (4.02 KiB) Viewed 13208 times
sm.png
sm.png (4.25 KiB) Viewed 13208 times
tepples

Post by tepples »

I think the forced eyes on everything are kinda creepy. The developers of Mischief Makers obviously thought differently.
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

tepples wrote:I think the forced eyes on everything are kinda creepy. The developers of Mischief Makers obviously thought differently.

Yeah, I hear you. SMB2J is one of those games that has eyes on everything. I recently gave Podoboo (aka Lava Bubble in later games) eyes. :P

Thanks for your input, though. I sorta added eyes to it already. Here's a pic with it so that you all can judge if it should stay or not. Also, a pic of Podoboo with eyes, something that has stuck with the franchise since Super Mario World.
Attachments
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan) - Copy_006.png
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan) - Copy_006.png (2.94 KiB) Viewed 13170 times
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan) - Copy_007.png
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan) - Copy_007.png (4.27 KiB) Viewed 13170 times
muckyfingers

Post by muckyfingers »

I think the eyes are great, can't wait to play it. :D
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

Okay. So I'll share another surprise about this upcoming build. I've recreated the SMAS atmosphere of an autumn level with Bullet Bills on 8-2, something not previously possible with the original setup. Only mushroom platforms stages (cloud platforms in SMB2J) could have orange backgrounds and changing with certain level features like tall trees or cannons was not previously possible. I've fixed this and upgraded 8-2. I've hardcoded it so this is only possible with 8-2. Here and some pics. (The SNES version did this by using parallax scrolling.)

SNES map of 8-2: http://www.mariouniverse.com/images/map ... mb/8-2.png
Original NES map: http://nesmaps.com/maps/SuperMarioBroth ... -2Map.html

My code:

Code: Select all

GetAlternatePalette1:
lda AreaPointer ;;;;;ShaneM code
cmp #$35       ;;;;;;ShaneM code...are we at level 8-2 yet?               
beq NewLabel  ;;;;;ShaneM code, if so then branch ahead to apply autumn scenery
lda AreaStyle            ;check for mushroom level style
cmp #$01
bne NoAltPal
NewLabel:
lda #$0b                 ;if found, load appropriate palette
SetVRAMAddr_B: 
sta VRAM_Buffer_AddrCtrl
NoAltPal:     
 jmp IncSubtask           ;now onto the next task
Please credit me if used; thanks.

Also, the cloud platforms are still found in SMB2J, I've just reverted the clouds in SMB1 to the original SMB1 mushroom platforms in my last couple of posts (though they are based on the All Night Nippon upgraded mushroom ones). --ShaneM, the Master of ASM
Attachments
reallyfucuex_001.png
reallyfucuex_001.png (3.73 KiB) Viewed 13099 times
reallyfucuex_004.png
reallyfucuex_004.png (4.1 KiB) Viewed 13099 times
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

I plan on releasing the final versions on Monday, 03/16/15. I did find some bugs during my beta testing. A lot has to do with the third PRG ASM file (World 9); it had to do with a rare disk no. 5 error (wasn't easy to fix). They have all been corrected and I will continue testing until the release date. So far, in my latest playthrough, I've found zero issues and it looks promising. So what I have so far appears to be final. --ShaneM, the Master of ASM
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

It's finally here. The finals! Here are both SMB1J and SMB2J. Patch them to an SMB2J ROM with a CRC16 of BA55. Also, I promised a surprise. Here are some details about the soon upcoming game:

SMB Special with SMB2J features! (What do you think of the improved title screen?)

I've done a lot with Levi's hack and have fixed all the glitches that he and his team accidentally created. In addition, I've added skid sound and added all my bug fixes from these current games (still pending on finishing some). I will also restore some beta tiles, too. I plan on adding SRAM for saving high scores. This to be released in the near future... Some screenshots:

--ShaneM, the Master of ASM
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

SMB Special has been called off due to this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12518

Unless that symbol stands for something else.

What I will do is either release an SMB1 NES patch with SRAM or share my SRAM code so people can add it to their hacks. It was really easy and took very little space (SMB1 in it's NROM form can have around 300 free bytes or so if you really know what you're doing and how to optimize). --ShaneM, the Master of ASM
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

There's a v1.1 coming soon. Two things have been corrected in it:

1) I forgot to give Fire Flower eyes (something that the SMAS remakes do).

2) I found a non-gamingbreaking glitch in the SMB1 portion. I'm working on fixing it.

Look out for this new build sometime early next week. --ShaneM, the Master of ASM
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

Here is the new build. I'm now using Xdelta format, since it's probably better than .ips patches. Now what I've done is put both games on the single game file; SMB1 is on Side A and SMB2J is on Side B. If you need any help figuring out how to swap disk sides within your emulator, just ask. Here are the changes from the last build:

1) Attributed Fire Flower to have eyes according to the SNES SMAS remake.

2) Fixed various end of level stages on SMB1 where the forts/castles at the end were too far from the Flagpole and caused cutoff at the end (such as 6-1 and 8-3) if the player jumped over the flag (since I ripped the scroll stops from ANNSMB, this needed to be fixed).

3) Customized my SMB1's Hard Mode to match my SMB2J one (on Worlds A-D) where the Firebars all move faster.

4) Fixed 4-3 on SMB1's Hard Mode where the player couldn't previously attain 5000 pts. due to the fact that platforms are shorter in my version on Hard Mode (the original never suffered that issue since its hard mode isn't as advanced as mine). I basically did minor swapping in PRG ROM to accomplish this.

Patch it to an SMB2J headerless ROM with a CRC16 of BA55

Enjoy v1.1. --ShaneM, the Master of ASM
Attachments
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan)_032.png
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan)_032.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 12724 times
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan)_031.png
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan)_031.png (3.22 KiB) Viewed 12724 times
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

Someone has emailed me asking about how Xdelta is supposed to be patched. The executable tool that I recommend is deltapatcher. I've used this tool to create my Xdelta patch; it can also be used to patch existing Xdelta patches, too.

How to switch disk sides on Nestopia (for the purpose of playing the fixed version of SMB2J on Side B): To switch disk sides, go to Machine, External, Disk System, Insert, then select Disk 1 Side B. Now, what you want to do is go to Machine, Reset, Hard. The same can be applied for playing SMB1 on Side A afterwards.

I'll be releasing a full package release of this game and a special build of Nestopia, soon. So newbies will have (almost) everything they need, including a translated, colored game manual I wrote and a guide to Nestopia and much more.

Hash checksums of the true FDS bios image (8kb):

Filename: [BIOS] Nintendo Famicom Disk System.bin

CRC16: CD1E
CRC32: 5E607DCF
SHA1 (non-base32): 57FE1BDEE955BB48D357E463CCBF129496930B62

My checksum utility for checking a variety of checksums is called CHK Checksum Utility. --ShaneM, the Master of ASM