puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: puNES Emulator (ex Fnes)

Post by rainwarrior »

StarTropics having no audio and being unable to create a new game slot has to do with the MMC6/MMC3 conflation in Mapper 4.

There's a note about it on the wiki

A common solution is not to implement the write protection, which will support StarTropics and its sequel just fine, and is not needed by other MMC3 games.

The other problematic Mapper 4 game is Low G Man. It's got a bug in its music code that reads from the open bus area where WRAM would normally be present. I don't know of a simple way to implement mapper 4 that reconciles this need without causing problems for StarTropics.
tepples

Post by tepples »

The proper way is NES 2.0 header. StarTropics series will have 1K of RAM, which should trigger a special case to use MMC6-style PRG RAM enable. Low G Man has no RAM.
SedrynTyros

Post by SedrynTyros »

Is it just me or is state --> Decrement/Increment slot broken in v0.91 d3d 64-bit? It worked fine in v0.90.

EDIT:

Correction: the display of said save state slots is broken. In v0.90 it would correctly show which slot you have selected in Windowed mode. Now if you increment/decrement the slot the Windowed gui display doesn't reflect that change; needless to say, that's a bit confusing.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

SedrynTyros wrote:Is it just me or is state --> Decrement/Increment slot broken in v0.91 d3d 64-bit? It worked fine in v0.90.

EDIT:

Correction: the display of said save state slots is broken. In v0.90 it would correctly show which slot you have selected in Windowed mode. Now if you increment/decrement the slot the Windowed gui display doesn't reflect that change; needless to say, that's a bit confusing.
Fixed in the WIP. Thx for the report.
Black Zero

Post by Black Zero »

I'm posting a bug report regarding input configuration on v091 SDL x64 and it's a rather serious one.

I'm using a real NES controller connected to an adapter and it have worked fine since v084 through v090

The controller is recognized and appears in the list but I'm unable to map any buttons at all, and if I want to cancel the process the emulator goes into a Not Responding phase and I have to force close it resulting in a crash.

Basically, I click unset all and try to map the controller but it just won't work.

If I open the input.cfg file in Notepad I can map the controller there just fine and it works great afterwards and I can see the result in input configuration in the emulator.

Also if I open game pad properties in the control panel in Windows the buttons works just fine, I'm on Windows 8.1 Professional x64 Update 3 BTW.
So there is nothing wrong with the controller or the adapter.

I have only tried with the SDL version and my NES controller.

Otherwise v091 is a good solid release and I'm amazed that my save states from v068 still works, other emulators tend to be sensitive to use older save states when a new version is out.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

Black Zero wrote:I'm posting a bug report regarding input configuration on v091 SDL x64 and it's a rather serious one.

I'm using a real NES controller connected to an adapter and it have worked fine since v084 through v090

The controller is recognized and appears in the list but I'm unable to map any buttons at all, and if I want to cancel the process the emulator goes into a Not Responding phase and I have to force close it resulting in a crash.

Basically, I click unset all and try to map the controller but it just won't work.

If I open the input.cfg file in Notepad I can map the controller there just fine and it works great afterwards and I can see the result in input configuration in the emulator.

Also if I open game pad properties in the control panel in Windows the buttons works just fine, I'm on Windows 8.1 Professional x64 Update 3 BTW.
So there is nothing wrong with the controller or the adapter.

I have only tried with the SDL version and my NES controller.

Otherwise v091 is a good solid release and I'm amazed that my save states from v068 still works, other emulators tend to be sensitive to use older save states when a new version is out.
I have tested a lot of the new version before releasing it, but it is possible that some bugs I missed :wink: . Now I'm working, I'll contact you later in PM.
Black Zero

Post by Black Zero »

FHorse wrote:I have tested a lot of the new version before releasing it, but it is possible that some bugs I missed :wink: . Now I'm working, I'll contact you later in PM.
Thanks FHorse, looking forward to it.
It might be related to the new GUI or something but if I map the controller in the input.cfg, the controller works.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Your noise implementation requires oversampling to get the correct timbre at high noise frequencies. The top 3 or 4 noise frequencies sound like identical white noise on punES 0.91, and the equivalent periodic modes don't have the correct pitch either. This makes percussion using the higher frequencies sound uncharacteristically loud, as the white noise is stronger than what the NES outputs in that range.

I would assume that you are at most ticking the noise unit once per sample? You should tick it as many times as needed per sample and average the output result. (There are more advanced ways to oversample the noise, but this will get you in the right ballpark.)

Attached is NES/NSF test of all 16 noise frequency settings, and periodic as well. It was quickly made with FamiTracker.
Attachments
noise_test.nsf
(5.64 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
noise_test.nes
(32.02 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

This is a great emulator. Is there any way to enter Game Genie codes without using the Game Genie rom?
FHorse

Version 0.92

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
- A new icon (thx to Phil Pinsonneault).
- Added the ability to configure the shortcuts and associate them with a button of the joystick.
- Increased the number of save slots to 10.
- Added, in fullscreen mode, an overlay that shows when you select, save or load a save state.
- Fixed the display of the GUI when you increase or decrease the save slot.
- Fixed the shortcuts for Inc/Dec save slot (in 0.91, for a mistake, F2 = Inc and F3 = Dec).
- Fixed a bug that in rare circumstances did not allow the configuration of the joystick.
- Implemented properly the behavior of the mapper FME-7 (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12436&start=15#p142263).
- Fixed the issue with Startropics e Startropics II.
Black Zero

Post by Black Zero »

Everything works on my end, great release FHorse!
Greg Ayrton

Post by Greg Ayrton »

There is click of sound when open roms (Duck Tales 2 for example). In Nestopia it's allright. My OS - Windows XP, Sound Card - Realtek
tepples

Post by tepples »

Accurate. I just tested on an NES, and there's a click when you start a ROM there.
elcorsico

Post by elcorsico »

cool emu puNES is very important emu for NES system

please add the cover into menu selection game ?.

is it possible to include to puNES ??

thanks developpers

excuse for my bad english , i'm french Geek ;-)

regards,
puNES for EVER ;-)
breaker1976

Post by breaker1976 »

rom Titenic_(Unl)_(As)_(f1).nes - not work on punes.
This unlicensed game works on emulators: nessie1.02, virtuanes 0.97e.
download this rom: http://lancuster.spaces.ru/files/?r=mai ... &sid=::sid::