Mapper hacking and debugging.

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

DrWho198

Mapper hacking and debugging.

Post by DrWho198 »

First of all, I'm new to nes devealopment but I have some experience in Atari 2600 assembly.
What I would like to do is change a game from mapper 116 (somari) to mapper 004 (MMC3). I've been reading abut both mappers and things are starting to make sence to me. For those who don't know, mapper 116 is a combination of VRC2, MMC1 and MMC3. The board can switch from one to the other with $4100 as a control adress to do this. I'm used to patching mappers on Atari, but the mappers on nes seem a bit more complicated.

What I'm looking for here is some tips on how to go at it. What I really would love is an emulator that could interupt and debug when a bank-switch is about to happen. Right now I'm not even sure if I understand the mappers correctly.

Patching from 116 to 004 shouldn't be too hard I guess, since I have a feeling the game hardly ever uses the other 2 modes. And I don't think it uses RAM banks either (but I don't know how to check that)

The rom I'm looking at right now is 'AV Mei Shao Nv Zhan Shi'
Any help would be great.
lidnariq

Re: Mapper hacking and debugging.

Post by lidnariq »

DrWho198 wrote:What I really would love is an emulator that could interrupt and debug when a bank-switch is about to happen.
Use FCEUX or Nintendulator's debuggers, and set a breakpoint on writes to $8000-$FFFF. (And, given m116's multicart register, $4100-$5FFF)
Patching from 116 to 004 shouldn't be too hard I guess, since I have a feeling the game hardly ever uses the other 2 modes.
Well, assuming it's running in MMC3 mode at all...
And I don't think it uses RAM banks either (but I don't know how to check that)
Set breakpoints for reads or writes on $6000-$7fff
oRBIT2002

Post by oRBIT2002 »

A word of warning: A few emulators optimizes performance depending on the ROM you feed it with, which makes ROM/Mapper-hacking a bit more difficult than it should be. It's a bit stupid to be honest(as I've mentioned in other threads).
DrWho198

Post by DrWho198 »

lidnariq wrote:Use FCEUX or Nintendulator's debuggers, and set a breakpoint on writes to $8000-$FFFF. (And, given m116's multicart register, $4100-$5FFF)
That's how I'm trying to get a grip of things right now. But the dev's did some protecting and do a lot of unneeded switching and looping. I'm having a hard time checking what is needed and what is not. I have to keep track of what mode is activated at what time, and if the write actualy did something vallid. Since I'm only a beginner at nes mapper hacking, I'm not always sure if what I think will happen did actualy happen. And if I run the game step by step through the emulator, it sometimes doesn't show the changes of the bankswitching right away.
This method interupts even if the command was not valid. Interupting on a bank switch would make clear if it was a valid.
Well, assuming it's running in MMC3 mode at all...
It's mostly MMC3 that is being used, if you change the mapper to 004 then the game works but with glitches.
Set breakpoints for reads or writes on $6000-$7fff
Nice tip, didn't think about that one. Seems pretty obvious now.

oRBIT2002 wrote:A word of warning: A few emulators optimizes performance depending on the ROM you feed it with, which makes ROM/Mapper-hacking a bit more difficult than it should be. It's a bit stupid to be honest(as I've mentioned in other threads).
Thanks for the warning, I already noticed that some emulators ignore the imap header of that rom since it often is set to mapper 004 instead of 116. I was already wondering if that might give me trouble in the future if I hack it to a real 004 mapper.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

DrWho198 wrote:I was already wondering if that might give me trouble in the future if I hack it to a real 004 mapper.
Emulators usually hash the ROM to look up correct headers in a database. Since you're modifying the ROM, the hash will be different, so the header should be honored.
DrWho198

Post by DrWho198 »

tokumaru wrote:Emulators usually hash the ROM to look up correct headers in a database. Since you're modifying the ROM, the hash will be different, so the header should be honored.
Thank you for clearing this up for me. I was actualy hoping emulators identified the roms by hash, but I was not sure.

While checking out the rom, it sometimes behaved different than I expected.
in the nesdev wiki I find this information about Mapper 116

Code: Select all

Range,Mask:   $4000-7FFF, $4100
   $4100:  [.... .CMM]
     MM = Mapper mode
          %00 = VRC2b
          %01 = MMC3
          %02, %03 = MMC1
      C = 256K CHR ROM base (AV Girl Fighting uses this)
I now found out the anomalies had something to do with the C bit (256K CHR ROM base).
Since I don't understand what they mean with this, could someone clarify it for me? In other words, what changes when the bit is set?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

MMC3 and VRC2 both appear to address a maximum 256k of CHR-ROM. From that description I would presume this selects a second 256k page, expanding it up to 512k.

i.e. C is connected to bit 18 of a 512k CHR-ROM's address bus.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The normal CHR banking registers on the MMC3 and similar only have the ability to address 256 KiB of data (8 bit microprocessor, 1KiB banks → 256 KiB). The C bit there serves as a 9th bit shared by all the CHR banks, allowing a total of 512 KiB of CHR to be addressed.

It's kinda like how VRC2 splits each CHR bank across two memory locations; one of which controls the lower 4 bits (1 KiB out of 16 KiB), and the other controls the upper 4 bits (16 KiB out of 256 KiB), only here the bit is shared across all six (or eight) CHR banks.
DrWho198

Post by DrWho198 »

That sounds like the end of my attempt to convert it to MMC3.
If MMC3 is not able to access all CHR banks Mapper 116 uses, then there is no way for patching it.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Is the CHR-ROM of your target 512k in size? If not, the bit would be unused anyway.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

'AV Mei Shao Nv Zhan Shi' = 'Girl Fighting', explicitly called out for using the C bit. It's 128 KiB PRG / 512 KiB CHR.
DrWho198

Post by DrWho198 »

rainwarrior wrote:Is the CHR-ROM of your target 512k in size? If not, the bit would be unused anyway.
The rom is 641kB in size, and the iNes header says it has 64 CHR banks. I don't know how to be sure of the size of the CHR rom. But I do know that the bit is set when calling the control register. and when I set it to 0 instead, the same glitches occur as if you would change the Mapper in the iNes header to 004.

Also the documentation in the wiki clearly states that only this game uses that bit, which would mean that this game is the only one that has such a large CHR rom.
lidnariq wrote:'AV Mei Shao Nv Zhan Shi' = 'Girl Fighting', explicitly called out for using the C bit. It's 128 KiB PRG / 512 KiB CHR.
Thanks, I was writing this message while you cleared it up.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Ahh, I see. Well, if your goal is to make a repro for an MMC3 board, you could still add the needed functionality with a bit of extra wiring and a few logic ICs.
DrWho198

Post by DrWho198 »

The goal was a bit of a mix. First of all I wanted to dig in nes assembly. Then I wanted to make the rom compatible with MMC3 so it would run on an unmodded board and the everdrive (yep, 116 is still not supported). And then I want to make a repro.

Sadly I will have to drop some of my goals. I was thinking of adding the extra functionality to a MMC3 cart, but I have no idea how to go at it. I know I have t isolate the condition and use a flipflop of some kind to hold the state of bit c so it can be connected to the chr eprom's pin. But the exact logic is beyond my knowledge.
Thanks for all the help guys, at least my insight of the subject has improved. Just sad that I have to cancel the project.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

This is really straightforward hardware to add. It's a 74'138 and a latch such as a (74'74 or 74'161) on top of a board already containing an MMC3.

Wire the 74'138 to detect writes to $41xx by connecting:
R/W to /G1a
A13 to /G1b
M2 to G2
/ROMSEL to A
A8 to B
A14 to C
Then
74'138 /Y7 to latch CLK
CPU D2 to latch data in
latch data out to CHR A18.