Star Versus - competitive shooter - releasing soon

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

dustmop

Star Versus - competitive shooter - releasing soon

Post by dustmop »

Hello nesdev!

I've been working on a homebrew project for about a year and a half - Star Versus, a competitive shooter, like Street Fighter with spaceships. We're planning on doing a release within the next few weeks, physical cart with manual included. Reading nesdev's forums and especially the wiki have been incredibly helpful during development, just wanted to let you know!

Today I'm releasing the official trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U63ImXUtIvE

There's also more info on - http://starversus.com
rainwarrior

Re: Star Versus - competitive shooter - releasing soon

Post by rainwarrior »

Can't wait!
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Looks great! Kinda distantly reminds me of the 4-player homebrew for the SNES called Shoot Your Load, just a lot more advanced.
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

koitsu wrote:Looks great! Kinda distantly reminds me of the 4-player homebrew for the SNES called Shoot Your Load, just a lot more advanced.
Oh neat, I hadn't heard of this game. There are definitely similarities but Star Versus plays *much* differently.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Looks good. I would like to see more on the development of the project if that's possible. How long did it take to make? How was it programmed?
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

Erockbrox wrote:Looks good. I would like to see more on the development of the project if that's possible. How long did it take to make? How was it programmed?
Development has been about a year and a half. I use ca65, Makefiles, emacs, git, python for graphics and data generation. I plan on eventually open-sourcing some of the tools, as well as blogging about some of the technical details once I have some free time. Glad you like what you see!
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Will there be a digital download for purchase?

For the Justice Beaver SNES homebrew I purchased a 10$ digital download since i didnt feel like shelling out 45$ since I have an SD2SNES it works just fine for me.

I'm hoping to get an N8 everdrive so a digital download is a cheap way for players like me to check out games for not a lot of cash.
AWal

Post by AWal »

Cool. Kinda reminds me of Spacewar, but with color and a bunch of powerups...Don't get me wrong though, that game was fun as hell.
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

Carts will be available for sale at http://store.dustmop.io this Friday, March 27th at 2pm EST.

No on the digital release.