NES Pirate

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: NES Pirate

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I'm sorry, but I can't help but think of the "buttons" on Captain Falcon's pecks whenever I see a picture of him. (It doesn't help that they're pink here.)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Pink pirate could be:
tvtropes:Real Men Wear Pink

You're probably getting stuck up on
tvtropes:Pink is for Sissies and tvtropes:Pink Means Feminine
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Selectable palettes can be fun.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

The main problem with selectable palettes is that you can't have other objects use that palette, unless you also want them to change color. Being able to alter the players color is fine on something like the SNES or the GBA, but not so much here.
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

Well, it's not an actual NES game, so there's no problem with selectable palettes at all. My game supports two players simultaneously, so each player is a different color. I decided there's no reason to not allow a person playing alone to pick either of the two colors available. It follows that ports of the game for PC or whatever will probably allow a lot more colors to choose from, because it's a stupid thing to restrict when it doesn't need to be restricted. If players want to be authentic they can always only pick the first two colors, but why not allow people who don't actually care to have some fun?

I feel the same way about not strictly using the NES palette. He's already said he's disregarding the sprite limit/other stuff. Will you really keep dogging him on each thing he hasn't specifically said he's not honoring? For all we know, the plan could be what Yoshi's Island does (different Yoshi for every level) or whatever.

But if there can be only one™, my vote goes to teal. (the one on the furthest right in the walk cycles). And actual feedback, I can't get the idea that his arm is not a French baguette in the run cycle wip out of my head.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Kasumi wrote:I feel the same way about not strictly using the NES palette. He's already said he's disregarding the sprite limit/other stuff. Will you really keep dogging him on each thing he hasn't specifically said he's not honoring? For all we know, the plan could be what Yoshi's Island does (different Yoshi for every level) or whatever.
Espozo wrote:In all seriousness though, I really think you should stick with the NES's color palette, but you can do whatever you want.
(Where else did I complain about him not using the NES palette anyway? "Keep" usually implies more than once)

and..
This Topic wrote:NES Pirate
Meaning that there are still restrictions. Otherwise, you could have 8bpp sprites using 24 bit color and still call it an NES sprite.
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

Sure there are still restrictions. But they were already not NES restrictions when the sprite limit and sprites per scanline limit were disregarded. I think the topic had made its intentions pretty clear, the title is kind of a lack-of-a-better-term thing. I ask again, does he really need to specifically state every thing he's not honoring?
Otherwise, you could have 8bpp sprites using 24 bit color and still call it an NES sprite.
People do what you've said all the time. But you know this. Hence Pirates of the Caribbean.
"Keep" usually implies more than once
I didn't say, "keep dogging him about the palette" I said "keep dogging on each thing he hasn't specifically said he's not honoring". So the more than once is,
1. Your Pirates of the Caribbean joke
2. Selectable palettes
Edit: Or... does 1 not count because he actually did specifically say he didn't honor the palette in that? Even if it was once, I think it's a valid question. I'd be happy to rephrase it, but I think you do understand what/why I've asked.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Lets just say you won the argument so we can move on.
hawken

Post by hawken »

DragonDePlatino wrote:This is absolutely fantastic. You've eschewed some of the NES restrictions like in Shovel Knight, but taken the aesthetics of the system to a whole new level. These bigger sprites give so much more room for personality, and the higher framerate has allowed for some fantastic subpixel animation.

With that being said, there's not much C&C I could provide. The designs are great but some of your weapons look a little messy. The dark AA on the edges of the Mega Anchor won't look very good on most backgrounds.

Also, have you considered posting your work over on r/pixelart? The people over there would go nuts for it!
I just wanted to say thanks for the feedback, comments like these really help me get enthusiastic to finish off difficult and time consuming parts of the game.
I'll be sure to do a pixelart dump in r/pixelart when theres a bit more to show, thanks for the tip.
twitter: http://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus - gameboy styled game for 3DS, WiiU & Steam
hawken

Post by hawken »

Bit more walkcycle:

Weapons:

Booty:

Booty system confirmed:

mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Neat, looks very busy but nicely spread out and not too predictable. The sprite reminds me of late '80s puzzly arcade titles. Not sure why.
hawken

Post by hawken »

Barracuda or Shark guys?

thefox

Post by thefox »

Both.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Myask

Post by Myask »

Both?
thefox wrote:Both.
Both is good.
hawken wrote:Booty system confirmed.
If there's one thing I wish would stay dead and gone, it's dropped-item vanishing. But it looks good, including the puffs of smoke they vanish into.

I must say I preferred him having a pegleg.

With both anchor sizes, it would probably be good to have him have to lean into his swings. It looks stiff for him to just be standing there with the anchor extended.
hawken

Post by hawken »

needed some frames from all angles so put into a handy diagram showing how Pete changes as he loses health.