It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:20 pm 

I'm not really a fan of thread splits, I just thought it was funny how much we're talking about slopes in here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:31 pm 

Battletoads has slopes and parallax in Level 4. The bg/fg clash is noticeable, but not too much of an issue (i.e. I've never heard anybody complain about it).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:58 pm 

That is pretty good, however I wonder why the elevator has a black outline, when it's a "sprite"?

And little demos like these are often disheartening because no NES game could ever look that slick, not then due to technological constraints (cartridge memory, infantile memory switching hardware), and certainly not now because, well, assembly is admittedly a pain in the ass. It might have a few taboos such as flicker (to be fair, Konami gave the scanline limit the middle finger for their post 1990 games), but everything else looks reasonable. In short, games like these are basically what the NES could've been like, but will never be. :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:44 am 

OneCrudeDude wrote:
That is pretty good, however I wonder why the elevator has a black outline, when it's a "sprite"?

Its palette has enough room to accomodate for it? In fact the large orange stalactites are using the same palette (for some reason they seem to be sprites as well even though they never move).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:17 pm 

OneCrudeDude wrote:

And little demos like these are often disheartening because no NES game could ever look that slick, not then due to technological constraints (cartridge memory, infantile memory switching hardware), and certainly not now because, well, assembly is admittedly a pain in the ass. It might have a few taboos such as flicker (to be fair, Konami gave the scanline limit the middle finger for their post 1990 games), but everything else looks reasonable. In short, games like these are basically what the NES could've been like, but will never be. :(

Are you talking about Battletoads? or the parallax demo?

Because it be. :beer:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:52 pm 

hawken wrote:
Are you talking about Battletoads? or the parallax demo?

Probably the game in the first post, which I think is doable on the NES, at least in its current state.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:43 pm 

@Sik: I was referring to how the lift appears to be a "solid brick" when it's graphic doesn't look like it. Perhaps he was trying to emulate the limitations of moving BG tiles, but since it's moving, it should be classified as a sprite. It's hard to see the "solid brick", but believe me when I say it's there.

@Tokumaru, Hawken: Yes, I am indeed talking about the OP's little animation and demo. I hope the OP will stick to the limits while still delivering a charming slick game, maybe even share the source code.

While I have no idea what the precise reasoning is (very likely technological ones), I can't help but feel that the NES was born at the wrong time. It was designed at a time when archaic arcade design philosophies were the norm, and thus many original games feel like arcade games. By the time developers started giving their games more substance, the NES was already old news, and even major developers like Nintendo themselves stopped caring about their NES output. In short, the NES doesn't have anything nearly as deep or long as Link's Awakening, despite it being developed for technically even weaker hardware than the NES.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:48 am 

OneCrudeDude wrote:

Can't you recycle ASM code from earlier projects? I'm pretty sure somebody already has a code for all of these things.

bg map scrolling = common
object handling = common
gravity = common
collision = common

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:48 pm 

OneCrudeDude wrote:
@Sik: I was referring to how the lift appears to be a "solid brick" when it's graphic doesn't look like it. Perhaps he was trying to emulate the limitations of moving BG tiles, but since it's moving, it should be classified as a sprite. It's hard to see the "solid brick", but believe me when I say it's there.

Wait, I thought you were talking about the Battletoads video (welp).

OneCrudeDude wrote:
By the time developers started giving their games more substance, the NES was already old news, and even major developers like Nintendo themselves stopped caring about their NES output.

The problem would be more that the Super Famicom took too long (which would eventually hurt Nintendo in the long term once the generation after that came in).