Need ideas for a Mario-like game

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

8bitMicroGuy

Need ideas for a Mario-like game

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

I'm going to start a simple MMC1 game (not MMC5 because it'd be too complicated).
It will have WRAM for only saving the same. The objects and level will be stored as explained in this post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12457&start=30#p144766
It will be like Mario, but with different entity sprites and enemy sprites. Meaning no mushroom, but for example pizza or spinach (Popeye reference XD).
The reason is that there are no homebrew Mario games except for hacks which for me aren't homebrew.
I can do the game engine, but I have no idea what kind of sprites should I use or a story or anything.
Can you give me ideas for the look of these objects?:
  • Mushroom (health supply)
  • Fire flower (for fire powers)
  • Ice flower (for ice powers)
  • Leaf (for raccoon tail and ears or fox double-tail and ears)
  • Star (for invincibility and infinite power)
  • Goombas (I need somethings to stomp!)
  • Koopas & shells (something kickable. SuperTux got ice block enemies for kicking because ice is slippery)
  • Spiny (an enemy you have to deal with with fire)
  • Buzzy Beetle (Shell like enemy, but you can't get rid of them by stomping or fire. Except by a pit or another shell)
Also, do you have any idea of what could the player's character be? Could it be a kid, a teen, an engineer, what? What kind of a world is the place in which he/she is? Is it just Earth with wild machines? What would be the story?
Sik

Re: Need ideas for a Mario-like game

Post by Sik »

Don't waste your time with the enemies because chances are you won't end up recreating them as originally designed (except maybe the goomba), so forget that part. Just come up with them as ideas come in. Also, you forgot to toss in coins into that list :v

Maybe just take this old idea and go with it? (oh god pre-canvas HTML games) The plot is basically "you're a cat superhero".
tepples

Post by tepples »

Wouldn't that just result in Cat Mario? "Prece Enter Key".
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Your ideas sounds more like a 1:1 mario clone than a "Mario-like game".
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I'm with Bregalad here. Why not just get a rom of SMB and change the graphics? It will end up being the same thing.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Espozo wrote:I'm with Bregalad here. Why not just get a rom of SMB and change the graphics? It will end up being the same thing.
Because this
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

They took the time to write a whole webpage? :roll: I'm sorry Nintendo, but unless I can buy a new copy of Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt at the store, I don't see the problem.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Espozo wrote:They took the time to write a whole webpage? :roll: I'm sorry Nintendo, but unless I can buy a new copy of Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt at the store, I don't see the problem.
You certainly can buy both of those at the Nintendo store:

Super Mario Bros.: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/tI ... 2zu_xzk7JY
Duck Hunt: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/yE ... oAHc1FpHwj
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Yeah, I guess... I still think they should be in physical form. Hey just thinking, because they weren't selling copies at the store, but there was no "Nintendo Store" either, It doesn't seem like there'd be anything wrong with you getting an emulator and playing games in the Game Cube era.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Espozo wrote:Why not just get a rom of SMB and change the graphics? It will end up being the same thing.
He won't learn as much about game programming. At school, teachers ask you to do things that have been done countless times before, but you do it anyway because it's not the final product that matters, but the knowledge you acquire while making it.

Granted, you could learn just as much, if not more, by making something that's not a 1:1 replica of something else, but creativity isn't everyone's strong suit.
Last edited by tokumaru on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

If it's just about programming something, why does he need a story and whatnot?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

During the "GameCube Era", Nintendo was selling "Super Mario Bros. Deluxe" for the Game Boy Color, and again later as part of the "Classic NES" series for the Game Boy Advance actually, but I was just being pedantic. Are you trying to argue that if you don't like the format it's currently sold in, it should be legal to pirate?
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

rainwarrior wrote:During the "GameCube Era", Nintendo was selling "Super Mario Bros. Deluxe" for the Game Boy Color, and again later as part of the "Classic NES" series for the Game Boy Advance actually, but I was just being pedantic.
Well, they couldn't have been reselling every NES game.
rainwarrior wrote:Are you trying to argue that if you don't like the format it's currently sold in, it should be legal to pirate?
I'm saying that if it isn't currently sold in any format, then yeah.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Espozo wrote:If it's just about programming something, why does he need a story and whatnot?
Just for fashion.

And for some reason, I have a feeling that my game, if original in code, but not original in graphics, will have the same fate as SMBX.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Espozo wrote:Yeah, I guess... I still think they should be in physical form.
You can't buy most Steam games "in physical form" either, but does that give you the right to infringe copyright?