It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:08 pm 

tepples wrote:
Espozo wrote:
Yeah, I guess... I still think they should be in physical form.

You can't buy most Steam games "in physical form" either, but does that give you the right to infringe copyright?

Unlike Steam games, NES games actually were "in physical form" at one point. We're talking about rereleasing games here, which Steam games haven't been. Just forget what I said earlier so this topic doesn't get derailed too badly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:32 pm 

Anyways, I'm starting the game from scratch. ...or maybe with a little forkout from SMB3 disassembly to mimic physics. Do you have any idea what enemies do I need? Clone or not clone, I need new graphics ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:17 pm 

8bitMicroGuy wrote:
Anyways, I'm starting the game from scratch. ...or maybe with a little forkout from SMB3 disassembly to mimic physics. Do you have any idea what enemies do I need? Clone or not clone, I need new graphics ideas.

I suggest that you take a look at The Great Giana Sisters, or the "unofficial" sequel Hard N' Heavy, as those games take the Mario formula, and at least artistically, make it "not mario".

Here's one of my WIP canvases, as an example:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:20 pm 

This really sounds more like "Mario clone" than "Mario-like game". Perhaps you could call it the Super Johnson Siblings*.

Even with just the physical releases it's not like it's ever been out of print for long.
NES(1985/6-9)
FDS (1986)
NEC PC-8801 and Sharp X1 (1986)
SNES (1993)
GBC (1999-2000)
GBA (2004)
Wii (2010) (yes, as a disc)

[ppe: *aaand I've been beaten to making a Giana Sisters reference/joke thanks to slow typing. :beer: Alp.]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:22 pm 

tepples wrote:
Wouldn't that just result in Cat Mario? "Prece Enter Key".

Um, no? Especially since that game was designed to troll the player (and the main character is cat because that's what Japanese emoticons tend to be when they're taller than a line - all characters look like emoticons, actually)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:45 pm 

Sik wrote:
tepples wrote:
Wouldn't that just result in Cat Mario? "Prece Enter Key".

Um, no? Especially since that game was designed to troll the player (and the main character is cat because that's what Japanese emoticons tend to be when they're taller than a line - all characters look like emoticons, actually)

You should know by know that he likes to make cheesy jokes. :roll:

Attachment:
666.png
666.png [ 654 Bytes | Viewed 808 times ]
:twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:16 pm 

Quote:
654 bytes

(・_・)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:33 pm 

Sik wrote:
Quote:
654 bytes

(・_・)

Ha ha ha... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:45 am 

It's true that there are many SMB game releases and SMB clones. However, not much is SMB3 or SMASB3 or even the awesome SMA4B3 where you can fly and be a bear with a raccoon tail and throw blocks at enemies.
The point of my project is to learn how to make a Mario engine (which means tile-based collisions, entity collision, game physics for all entities), enjoy the retro style of it (some retro taste in graphics, some cool tail-wagging fire-spitting brick-smashing block-punching pipe-oink-oink-oinking action with my name on it and effort in it), but with different graphics and other tangible expressions.

Some significant things I want to do is that the enemies aren't just stupid "Goombas", but when they see the player, they run towards him like Goombas do in the new topview Mario game for Wii U (I don't know how it's called). Tailwagging a shell can cause the shell to stomp a "Goomba". A "Goomba" can kick a shell by accident. "Mario" can switch weapons and superpowers during the action scene. Using only 2KB of RAM for the game's active objects and game state, ROM for levels and WRAM for saving the game. The player shape and colors will be customizable; yes, I like character generators. Probably I'll make a level editor too just like Battle City has one. I have experience of these things in game development from the past years in the Multimedia Fusion series and Game Maker series, but the programs were limited and it was impossible to implement that stuff and it also caused me to learn wrong stuff about programming. Now it's the time for me to do this in the most optimized way possible.