Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

MP2E

Re: Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Post by MP2E »

Absolutely outstanding! Fixed sound pitch with an over clock and DVI mode are killer features!

Literally, that lays to rest all the concerns I had about this vs RGB. RGB will be essentially obsolete unless you want to play lightgun games..
game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us »

I may have found a good solution to getting the hdmi connector to come out the back of the top loader and av famicom!!!

http://youtu.be/DEDWrQzdsWM
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

Update #5 has been posted. The brightness on the HDMI output is a bit blown out but this is because of the capture card. I didn't spot it until it was rendered and posted. bleh. Every time I capture something it seems to screw it up in a different way.

Anyways, I show a couple games (Duck Maze, Orb 3D, and Micromachines) which apparently gave the nesRGB fits. Also, the flowing palette demo apparently doesn't work either. All four of these are shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNkbuQx ... e=youtu.be

Enjoy!
/* this is a comment */
Teancum

Post by Teancum »

Glad to see another update! I'm very excited to get one of these. Still hoping copynes gets included.
OldNESJunkie

Post by OldNESJunkie »

Teancum wrote:Glad to see another update! I'm very excited to get one of these. Still hoping copynes gets included.
Here, here, I look forward to this as well, especially if the CopyNES gets included.
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

Update #6 is now posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fwdTdg ... e=youtu.be

Looks like I'm about done on the software side. The things left:

* copynes
* updating via cart
* audio register viewer
* PCB redesign to fit in the toploader under the main PCB
/* this is a comment */
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

One request on the CopyNES: the Everdrive is incompatible with it and won't boot because the BIOS reading fails. Would it be possible to have some sort of disable switch so that the CopyNES would be completely disabled instead of having to disable itself via BIOS code on boot?
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

rainwarrior wrote:One request on the CopyNES: the Everdrive is incompatible with it and won't boot because the BIOS reading fails. Would it be possible to have some sort of disable switch so that the CopyNES would be completely disabled instead of having to disable itself via BIOS code on boot?
I was going to have it disabled by default. Since the FPGA is controlling it, I don't have to run code first to turn it off and run the cart. The everdrive works with the unit as it is, I tested it. However the everdrive does not like overclocking at all. If you go past 2.1MHz the everdrive crashes and locks up so bad it requires a hard power cycle to make it work again. I absolutely hated the stupidly bright green LED on the everdrive, too. It appears to be connected to the lockout chip, and since the toploader has no lockout chip, the LED turns on and off randomly during game play which is distracting. I ended up putting a piece of black tape over the LED.
/* this is a comment */
Kilokahn

Post by Kilokahn »

I am waiting in anticipation for sure!

Now I just need someone to help me install it in the DFW area and also help me deck out my NES (it is very beat up and missing its front door). In anticipation I will go out and buy an Everdrive N8! :D
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

Here's update #7. This time I totally redo the board layout, and I took a time lapse video of me doing this. You can watch the board "grow" from nothing to completion!

CopyNES USB was added, a 5V buck regulator on-board, and a form-factor re-do so it will properly fit the toploader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7IpLnc ... e=youtu.be

Enjoy!
/* this is a comment */
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

With your adapter, could it be made possible to display 960 lines in the 1080 HD mode? This would give top and bottom borders but eliminate stretching artifacts and uneven scanlines. Also, while you cannot obtain an 8/7 pixel aspect ratio with integer scaling, is it possible to do a pixel-perfect 1/1 and a 5/4 pixel aspect ratio within the screen resolution with the adapter?
tepples

Post by tepples »

The PPU puts out 262-scanline fields at a steady rate, and the TV likewise expects fields at a steady rate. These rates differ slightly. To make up the difference, the adapter stores a couple dozen lines of pixels in a circular buffer. But in order not to overrun this buffer, the percentage of the signal occupied by picture has to be within a few percent of each other. NTSC NES has 240 picture lines out of 262 signal lines, and HDMI 1080p has 1080 picture lines out of 1125 bitstream lines.

960/1125 = 85.3 percent
240/262 = 91.6 percent
1080/1125 = 96.0 percent

(.960 - .916)*262 = 12 lines of buffer
(.916 - .853)*262 = 17 lines of buffer

Is 17 already too much?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

tepples wrote:Is 17 already too much?
I asked about the size of the scanline circular buffer in post 137112:
kevtris wrote:it's 32 scanlines high and I cannot make it bigger.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Then I'll have to show my math to kevtris in #nesdev and ask what doesn't add up.
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

Update #8 is now posted. This time I show how I place the parts and reflow solder it in a modified toaster oven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7r6zkKvJrU

After a few more minor additions, I think it will be ready for the world.
/* this is a comment */