NES Pirate

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Myask

Re: NES Pirate

Post by Myask »

Nice-looking as always.

I'm tempted to suggest something like having the feather only if you've managed not to get hit yet that stage, and thus "have a feather in your cap" figuratively as well as literally.

The fuses on the cannon/bomb look a little...metal-strappy, but this is probably only on super-bright backgrounds like that where the white seems transparent.
Drag

Post by Drag »

That looks really good, especially considering how turntables can be annoying to do. :P
DragonDePlatino

Post by DragonDePlatino »

Hmm...The contrast between the 3/3 heart form and the 2/3 heart form is pretty good, but it's hard to tell the difference between 2/3 and 1/3 at a glance. What if Pete lost a little more hair off the top to contrast the 2/3 and 1/3 forms?

tepples

Post by tepples »

I'd recommend also tearing the jacket to distinguish the most damaged state.
hawken

Post by hawken »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Will probably go for sleevelessness! ;)

twitter: http://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus - gameboy styled game for 3DS, WiiU & Steam
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I think I'd go jacketless altogether and show off that striped tanktop underneath...

Or if you stick with the hair idea, perhaps full male pattern baldness and have the top come off like a toupée.

Taking damage and losing something makes sense (hat, toupée, armor, jacket, etc.), but taking damage and something changing styles doesn't really (new hair style, new jacket style, etc.)

...and I didn't even notice the beard change until just now looking back over them. I would definitely think about how the change affects the character's silhouette, and maximize that.

Anyway, game looks neat. The blue shadowed palette looks far better than the green one. In the green one, I would definitely change the light grey to a somewhat warmer hue, I think it's too much temperature contrast and not enough value contrast that's causing those to look strange.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Haha, I was going to suggest the weakest sprite be jacketless too. :P That'd be a more noticable change since it's a pretty significant region of color changing; I didn't even notice that the two weaker sprites were different until I crossed my eyes and saw that the beard was changed.

The silhouette is a good tip too, but I think the jacket loss would be distinguishable enough, unless you plan on having a lot of segments where the player sprite is literally just a silhouette.
hawken

Post by hawken »

M_Tee wrote:
Or if you stick with the hair idea, perhaps full male pattern baldness and have the top come off like a toupée.
I wasn't into the hair suggestion until now, lets see...
twitter: http://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus - gameboy styled game for 3DS, WiiU & Steam