OSX Emulators with NES 2.0 support?

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

dustmop

OSX Emulators with NES 2.0 support?

Post by dustmop »

I recently found a use case for NES 2.0, and have found it super helpful that the format exists! Very cool stuff. However, support in emulators is still fairly early. FCEUX recently got it added, but I primarily develop on OSX. I've been using Nestopia for Mac, but it seems like it's no longer being developed and doesn't have a permissive license. There's source for the GPL'd OpenNestopia here, which is a bit buggy for me but seems to the next best thing. Adding NES 2.0 seems simple enough.

1) Is there a better alternative for OSX Emulators, preferably one that supports NES 2.0 already? I'm familiar with OpenEmu, but I really prefer the single-purpose, lightweight Nestopia, which is a lot better for homebrew development.

2) OpenNestopia is hosted on code.google, which is going read-only in 11 days. Does anyone know the maintainer? It's GPL already so I could fork it to github, but I figured I should at least try and contact the author (code.google's UI doesn't let me see their full email address, only daemonco...@gmail.com).
rainwarrior

Re: OSX Emulators with NES 2.0 support?

Post by rainwarrior »

I think both BizHawk and MESS have some sort of NES 2.0 support, and Mac versions.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Nestopia UE has been undergoing a unified port to just use GTK3, rather than using different toolkits on each platform, but it hasn't regrown OSX support yet.

Might be a better place to start, though.
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

Cool, thanks, I'll take a look. I had heard about Bizhawk, but saw it was C# so assumed Windows only. Likewise, Mess's homepage said it was integrated into Mame. But, those were only cursory glances, I'll dig a bit deeper.
Myask

Post by Myask »

dustmop wrote:Cool, thanks, I'll take a look. I had heard about Bizhawk, but saw it was C# so assumed Windows only. Likewise, Mess's homepage said it was integrated into Mame. But, those were only cursory glances, I'll dig a bit deeper.
A multiplatform non-C# version is "intended". I think it's still at that phase.

FCEUX ostensibly is multiplatform: the emulation portion is, but the debugging features and interface are basically only in the Windows version. (This was not a thing I was happy to find out.)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I've also heard that you could run the Windows version of FCEUX in Wine, and that you could run Wine on a Mac, but I don't have personal experience with this.
tepples

Post by tepples »

First half of that (FCEUX in Wine) works well on Xubuntu. I haven't tried the second half (Wine on a Mac).
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

tepples wrote:First half of that (FCEUX in Wine) works well on Xubuntu. I haven't tried the second half (Wine on a Mac).
I have tried it in OS X and it works okay in wine. I do want to point out that Debian offers fceux natively in the package manager, so I would be surprised if Xubuntu or other Ubuntu variants didn't have it as well.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Xubuntu has FCEUX (SDL version) without debugging, and unfortunately, 14.04 LTS ended up with FCEUX 2.2.1 whose mapper support had just undergone a problematic reorganization. Fedora excludes FCEUX because Red Hat is afraid of Nintendo's legal department.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I see - if it matters, the version of FCEUX I just installed on a debian testing machine is 2.2.2.
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

Cool, thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like I've got some research to do. I've had problems with performance of Wine on OSX in the past, and the current OSX builds of FCEUX are broken for me (crashing at startup). I should report that to the maintainer. Nestopia UE sounds rad, perhaps the best path is to merge parts of OpenNestopia into it.