VirtuaNES Famicom Keyboard Emulation

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

zzo38

VirtuaNES Famicom Keyboard Emulation

Post by zzo38 »

Is there a way to get it to work without a Japanese keyboard layout? With the American keyboard some keys don't work, such as @ : is it possible to make VirtuaNES to support this keyboard mode?
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
MrElephant

Re: VirtuaNES Famicom Keyboard Emulation

Post by MrElephant »

Does anyone have an answer for this, I am having trouble with this too. Sorry for posting on an old topic, if it is old.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I had this problem too. I just used Nestopia and Nintendulator instead. Nestopia is good since it can paste code from the clipboard to Family Basic by pressing F12, and it can read cassette tape files. They are the same format as VirtuaNES (headerless unsigned 8-bit PCM wave files with 32000 Hz sampling rate).

I think I had another problem with the Nestopia keyboard though. There was one key that I couldn't find if I remember correctly.
CiXeL

Post by CiXeL »

definitely loving the F12 pasting so i dont have to fumble around for where to find ()"+
and you can use a real editor!
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

One way to change the keyboard assignments in VirtuaNES would be to modify and recompile it, although that may be difficult.
CiXeL wrote:definitely loving the F12 pasting so i dont have to fumble around for where to find ()"+ and you can use a real editor!
That is good if you are using BASIC or whatever, but if using a different program (such as one you are writing by yourself) then you would want to enter the keys directly instead, including functions and other stuff.

(What I have done when I designed the level editor in Attribute Zone is to not use the keys that I couldn't access with VirtuaNES, even though now I no longer use Windows, I did when I wrote it.)

Another problem I had with VirtuaNES (although it may be a problem in my own programming) is that when I tried to save an Attribute Zone level to tape, it recorded the correct length of data but otherwise is empty. Later I used Nintendulator and it seems does not have tape emulation. Now I am using Mednafen on Linux though. I don't know if the problem is me or you. (Note: To save levels to ROM in Attribute Zone, tape emulation is not required, although quicksave is a required feature (it uses a RAM signature, so it should work with any emulator that supports quicksave).)
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)