bsnes-plus and xkas-plus (new debugger and assembler)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
infidelity

Re: bsnes-plus and xkas-plus (new debugger and assembler)

Post by infidelity »

Any new progress to report on? :-)
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

infidelity wrote:Any new progress to report on? :-)

I am wondering the same thing. Any news on the 64bit accuracy builds?
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

Haven't really had a lot of time to work on things lately (mostly due to work), but I should be making more progress starting in the next week or so.

Things I'm planning on doing for the time being:
  • rewriting the memory editor
  • rewriting the breakpoint window (maybe), adding the WDM trap option
  • adding more register info to the Super FX disassembler (for instructions that use ROMBR and other such registers)
  • Setting up 64-bit accuracy builds
infidelity

Post by infidelity »

I know its only been a month since I last asked, but any new developments? I can relate to work being an inconvenience to doing stuff like this. I check a couple times a week for any new updates. Thanks again. :-)
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

Hopefully I'll be working on it soon now that things have been slowing down at work, which has been eating up most of my programming time lately; developing C++/Qt applications like this one (and my other main projects as of late) is also what I do for a living, and sadly I don't have an unlimited amount of time to put into the same general thing every single day :P
infidelity

Post by infidelity »

Totally understandable! Thanks for the reply!
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

Does BSNES support the super scope as an input?
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

uVSthem wrote:Does BSNES support the super scope as an input?
bsnes supports the SNES Mouse, the Super Scope, the Justifiers (the paired lightguns used by Lethal Enforcers) and the Super Multitap. I have some degree of interest in adding support in bsnes-classic for more controller port peripherals, particularly the various Turbo File devices.
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

Thanks, I was looking in the settings for controller port 1. I didn't realize the light guns had to be in port 2.
AWJ wrote:
bsnes supports the SNES Mouse, the Super Scope, the Justifiers (the paired lightguns used by Lethal Enforcers) and the Super Multitap. I have some degree of interest in adding support in bsnes-classic for more controller port peripherals, particularly the various Turbo File devices.
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

uVSthem wrote:Thanks, I was looking in the settings for controller port 1. I didn't realize the light guns had to be in port 2.
AWJ wrote:
The two controller ports on the SNES aren't quite identical; light guns can only work in port 2. That's why the Justifiers have one gun that plugs into the SNES and one gun that plugs into the other gun, rather than two identical guns that both plug into the SNES.
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

It's been a while. Here's version 073+2. I didn't do everything with it that I actually wanted but I think it merits a new release at this point, and maybe this'll spur me to work on it more often. Download(s) in the original post.

Changelog [mostly scraped from commit messages in no particular order]:

Code: Select all

Replaced original memory editor with a new, faster and better one [Revenant]
Added hotkeys for breaking and stepping in the debugger (F5 through F8) [Revenant]
Added new "Sound Viewer" window to tools menu [Revenant]
Removed "enable" checkbox from breakpoints, now enabled by R/W/X setting [Revenant]
Re-enabled quickload/save menus [Revenant]
Frame count added to CPU/SA1 traces [Revenant]
Fixed cycle timing issue introduced by debugger in previous release [Revenant]
Slightly improved SPC700, SA1 and SuperFX disassembly [Revenant]
Fixed MMIO mapping on SA1 bus (fixes crash with Marvelous and possibly others) [AWJ]
Various emulation, build, and other improvements [AWJ]
Backported various OpenGL, Direct3D, and rawinput fixes from bsnes 081+ [mziab]
Fixed potential GUI deadlock when Windows system menu is opened [Revenant]
Improved BPS/UPS/IPS soft patching support [mziab, Revenant]
snesreader no longer advertises RAR support that it doesn't actually have [mziab]
Backport newer File Extractor from VBA-M. LZMA2-compressed 7zip archives work now [mziab]
Various build fixes, mostly for clang / Mac OS [Optiroc, AWJ]
Nicer OSX app bundle (custom icon and retina support enabled) [Optiroc]
If there's something I was going to add / should have added but didn't, feel free to poke me about it anyway.

64-bit accuracy builds are still coming eventually.
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

> snesreader no longer advertises RAR support that it doesn't actually have [mziab]

It did have that (snesreader used blargg's fex library, which had it.) You had to toggle an ifdef that made the software non-GPL due to unrar's license, so it was off by default. Would probably have been smarter to not add .rar to the valid extensions when that wasn't compiled in.

Not that I think anyone really cares about loading SNES ROMs in from RAR archives.
zzattack

Post by zzattack »

Great update!
tepples

Post by tepples »

byuu wrote:Not that I think anyone really cares about loading SNES ROMs in from RAR archives.
It's common to find sets of SPC700 save states in a RAR archive renamed to .rsn. They used RAR instead of Zip because a solid archive can reuse repeated engine and sample data from one SPC to the next. At the time, 7-Zip didn't exist, and gzip's window size wasn't near enough to cover a game's SPC set. This left RAR.

The same is true of archives containing a ROM and all its variants (Japan, North America, and Europe versions), though those are more likely to have gone to .7z.
Ramsis

Post by Ramsis »

Thanks, Revenant! :)
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
Unofficial SNES PowerPak firmware
(See my GitHub profile for more)