covert nes rom to fds possible?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

theck33

covert nes rom to fds possible?

Post by theck33 »

I would like to know if its possible to convert, nes roms to fds ?
tepples

Re: covert nes rom to fds possible?

Post by tepples »

Converting an NROM game (iNES mapper 0) should be a matter of disassembling the ROM and getting it to run from $6000-$DFFF instead of $E000-$FFFF. Other mappers will be harder. But in any case, it's not something that anyone can automate to a point-and-click level unless, say, it's a homebrew that comes with source code.

Just guessing: Did you come upon a Famicom and FDS RAM adapter and intend to use an FDS drive emulator as an alternative to a PowerPak? I ask because I want to know if there's enough demand for FDS versions of NROM homebrew games to warrant my buying a Famicom, FDS RAM adapter, and drive emulator to test on.
theck33

Post by theck33 »

I have nes america and FDS RAM adapter.
theck33

Post by theck33 »

Picture nes
Attachments
IMG_20160124_182050.jpg
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

theck33 wrote:I would like to know if its possible to convert, nes roms to fds ?
FDS to NES is mostly doable, but NES to FDS is nearly impossible for a large number of games (probably most of the library).

Most cartridge games expect instantaneous banking of code or graphics, or both, but the FDS needs time to load from disk. This is why it's usually possible to go from FDS to NES; the slow disk load can be replaced by an instant bank swap, but the reverse is not usually appropriate. Lots of games need to change banks several times per frame.
theck33

Post by theck33 »

Ok Thx! Is it possible convert nes to snes rom ?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Probably NROM games, or CNROM-like games with only 16K PRG could be made for the FDS easily enough.

The list of CNROM-like games is tiny though:
Argus
Choplifter
City Connection
Goonies
Hyper Olympic Gentaiban!
Kage no Densetsu
Ninja Jajamaru-kun
TwinBee
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Is it possible convert nes to snes rom ?
That is an interesting question. The time and effort required to do that, when you would end up with a game that looks and plays almost identical... seems like it would be a bad idea....but hypothetically... Yes. It can be done....Super Mario All Stars, for example.

I've literally never heard of anyone (homebrewer) doing this. It would be quite a challenge, especially the music. But a simple mappered NES game, minus the music, using the same graphics and MODE 0...possible.

If you were going to port a game to SNES, shouldn't you make use the better hardware...improve the graphics... Move up at least to Mode 1. Improve the music and sound fx. Add some layered backgrounds. Then you'd have a final product that is better than the original.

What game(s) do you have in mind?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
theck33

Post by theck33 »

115 in 1
Adventure of lolo
Smb3
Smb2 usa (Doki Doki link)
Robocob 2
For play with snes game doctor sf 6
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Well, there's certainly this: viewtopic.php?t=13229 ... but I haven't looked at it at all.
theck33

Post by theck33 »

Thx :)
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

115 in 1? Now I feel like you're just screwing with us.
Smb 2 and 3...just use SM All-Stars.

Robocop 2, Adventures of Lolo...the only reasonable ones on the list (both MMC1). For $2000 a piece, I'll make you SNES versions. (I'm kidding, I can't guarantee that.)
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

It can be done, but it's not worth anyone's while. See above for $$$ value of the time spent by someone skilled.

If you had $$$ to throw around then you would never jury-rig an FDS RAM adaptor (sans drive) to an NES in the first place.

Give up, move on.

Attach a small PC to your TV and run an NES emulator, if that will make you happy.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

theck33 wrote:Ok Thx! Is it possible convert nes to snes rom ?
There are a few NROM games that have been hacked to run on the SNES. Anthrox made them. None of them support the game's sound and music and in general aren't very fun to play.

There are some NES games that have been made to run on the TurboGrafx 16 and work quite well and are enjoyable to play.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Now running NES games on the GBA on the other hand.... *wink* *wink*
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!