It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3D Nes Emulator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:28 pm 

I am highly, highly impressed with this. I can't wait to see a stable build come into existence.
But first, a few questions I'd like to ask:
1) How exactly does the 3D rendering work? After watching a few videos of your emulator at work, I am curious as to how the depth works.
2) Does extra code need to be written for every NES game? That seems improbable because so many of them exist, but it seems a little weird to me that the code for the games themselves would have the data for such a task.
3) Does the emulator alter the code of the games themselves? This seems likely to me, but I'm new to programming in general, so this could be due to ignorance on my part.
Other than that, this looks really cool. Great work so far, my man.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:56 pm 

Hello, thank you for the encouragement.
1) Let say the depth of a shape is a function with inputs are shape type, shape size, shape layer and its relation with other shapes
2) No extra code for any particular game, this will very soon become a maintenance nightmare. In the future, in its complete form, the emu will have a set of coefficients, and we could do adjustment for a specific game by modifying this set, that's the limit.
3) No, the emu is a normal emulator plus a realtime 2d->3d converting engine. That's all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:28 pm 

Any updates on this? Very impressive work! Can't wait for a beta release...

How does something like Rad Racer look on this? It seems more suited for platformers, but would be interesting to see.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:55 pm 

Hi the update news is almost there. I'm late compared to the schedule. Please just wait a few more days then the update news will come out. Thank you for the support.
By the way the Rad Racer game is already a 3D game by itself so i'm afraid that there are no many things we could gain here :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:58 am 
Formerly AlienX

This looks pretty amazing! And I really like that the emulator actually analyzes the images to give them proper 3D models, instead of just stretching them on the Z axis. I know it's a work in progress, but do you have a compiled version or something, that we can try out? I love experimenting with this kind of stuff and would like to see how a lot of games would look, running on this. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:52 pm 

Sorry for the wrong timing prediction. I have just passed the New Lunar Year Holiday and couldn't do any work during this period.
I will try my best to make it available as soon as possible :)
Happy Monkey Year everybody :D

Last edited by geod on Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:17 am 

Hi all,
The beta release candidate ... trailer is here
https://youtu.be/Ti2fwroyP2A
with many new features : better shape segmentation, transparency, z layers etc ...

Test Pool contains :
- DrMario
- Legend of Ninja
- Mega Man
- Super Mario Brothers 1
- Super Mario Brothers 3
- Zelda Link
- Contra
- Castle Vania
- Kungfu
- Battle City 1990

Please share your thought.
The beta release will come soon :D

Last edited by geod on Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:08 am 

My first reaction is probably "how the /!"(#/ did he pull that off?!" :)
Nice work!
You should sell this technique to Nintendo for them to implement in Virtual Console for 3DS. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:54 pm 

Oh, I wonder ... it seems likely that Bubble Bobble would look good through this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:34 pm 

Good job!

It seems the emulator now detects when a front sprite tile is covered by a background tile and changes the background tile to semi-transparent. And after a short period of time, moves that background tile to the back. I suggest changing the length of the time period based on the size of the overlapping area. So if most of the pixels of the two tiles overlap each other, then reduce the time period. I also suggest lowering the opacity of the semi-transparent background tiles so that the sprite tile covered by it will be more visible.

I can also see that detection algorithm have problems with chr ram games because there are multiple copy of the same tile in the ram. Maybe you can check for repeated tiles by comparing the tile pixels.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:15 am 

Thanks @mkwong98
You got it right. This is the basic idea of z layer processing. Concerning your suggestion:

- Overlapping area detection in detail is a costly processing. For the time being i just check two shape overlap each other or not. And things sometime are quite complicated. For example in Castlevania, the bat moves in sin wave and goes completely through the ground for a sort period of time but we can not put the ground in the far layer.
- About the opacity and visibility, i will recheck it all.
- About chr ram game, do you see problem or guess it? Because i already define tile identity by it own pixel data.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:38 am 

CHR RAM games can construct tile data at runtime. I'd like to see what it does with Qix (vectors), Elite (vectors), Videomation (vectors), Hatris (vertically tile-unaligned bitmaps), and the text in RHDE and robotfindskitten (horizontally tile-unaligned bitmaps).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:54 am 

@tepples
Could you clarify the term "vertically/horizontal tile-unaligned bitmaps"?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:15 am 

Look at a screenshot or video of Hatris. The hats are drawn to the background, but not at 8-pixel increments. They're drawn into tiles at arbitrary vertical positions, using AND and OR operations, and copied to CHR RAM. I'd embed a screenshot, but most pixel-perfect screenshots that Google Images found were 1. on ROM sites and 2. using HTTP's Referer header to block embedding.

RHDE uses a proportional font. A single glyph may be 2 to 7 pixels wide. The letters are drawn into tiles at arbitrary horizontal positions, using shift and OR operations, and copied to CHR RAM.

A screen full of text in a proportional font

Attachments:
File comment: Construction of a word in a proportional font. Red lines denote 8x8 pixel tile boundaries.
vwfletterbyletteropt.gif
vwfletterbyletteropt.gif [ 4.24 KiB | Viewed 2221 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:23 am 

geod wrote:
- About chr ram game, do you see problem or guess it? Because i already define tile identity by it own pixel data.

For example around 18:05 in the video, I think those wall tiles on the right part of the screen are the same as those on the left part of the screen? Or did you do that on purpose?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next