It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:35 am 

Ok so I am trying to gauge if there is will bean interest for these. I have found that these are overpriced at $10 for 10 filters. So I have researched the material a bit and found a nice substitute. Not sure if it is the same stuff as Hakko uses or not.

This stuff can withstand like 1200+ degrees. Plenty more than the 500 the guns go up to. The only catch is I need to buy a roll of this that will cost me between $400-$500. Now granted I can cut a crapload of circles out of that, which leads me to needing to invest in a quick way of cutting the circles. I should note my test circle was hand-cut by scissors, finished product would look better :)

I desoldered 3 eproms from 3 different boards. 2 was easy genesis pad boards and the 3rd was a through-hole snes board. All chips came out super easy. I then racked up some smoke as I wanted to make sure the smoke was being filtered as well. I kept checking the filter often and nothing got through.

This material is a bit thinner 1/8" but that doesn't matter much as only the very outside layer gets dirty anyhow. I desoldered 3 eproms from 3 different boards. 2 was easy genesis pad boards and the 3rd was a through-hole snes board. All chips came out super easy. I then racked up some smoke as I wanted to make sure the smoke was being filtered as well. I kept checking the filter often and nothing got through. Here are pictures of both sides "after I used it compared to an original Hakko. You can see the back side stayed perfectly clean.

I guarantee well over 10 circles for $10 :) Let me know if there is interest.

Attachment:
100_2715.JPG
100_2715.JPG [ 426.59 KiB | Viewed 1789 times ]

Attachment:
100_2718.JPG
100_2718.JPG [ 400 KiB | Viewed 1789 times ]

Attachment:
100_2717.JPG
100_2717.JPG [ 368.49 KiB | Viewed 1789 times ]