James "AVGN" Rolfe and friends enjoy STREEMERZ

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: James "AVGN" Rolfe and friends enjoy STREEMERZ

Post by tepples »

rainwarrior wrote:I'm especially baffled when people complain about others using things like game genie or cheat codes or TAS or weird exploits.
If you sold a closed gaming platform, such as an Xbox, PlayStation, or Wii console, wouldn't you complain about "weird exploits" of a particular game's savegame format to obtain execution privilege? People could use that to do several things that undermine any console maker's business model:
  • Unlicensed games: Make and distribute working games for your console without paying your developer tax. The generally low quality of unlicensed games tends to reduce the expected quality of a randomly chosen game for a console.
  • Emulation of pirated previous-generation games: Run illegal copies of the first party's back catalog (such as through FCE Ultra GX). This unfairly competes with current-generation sequels and with official rereleases through services such as Virtual Console.
  • Cloning: Run illegal workalikes of your licensed developers' games, such as the various Tetris reimplementations used as Hello World on newly cracked consoles.
  • Modding: Make and distribute new levels for an existing licensed game. These are considered derivative sequels per Micro Star v. FormGen, and they unfairly compete with a game publisher's own paid DLC and sequels.
  • Achievements/Trophies: Even an ostensibly single-player game is "a competitive game" on the console's built-in social network nowadays.
Nintendo complained in court about Game Genie but lost on a technicality: because the device lacked ability to save codes, the modifications were not considered "fixed" and thus not derivative works. Galoob v. Nintendo.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Here's part two, they play four more games.

I like this better than if the Game Grumps tried to do it. James, Mike, and Bootsy are giving it an honest try. Arin and Dan, though funny, would just screw around and then quit.

Tepples: I think rainwarrior was talking about other players and/or game developers and just cheating within the game's confines, but you're right, the console's manufacturer would have a different reason to be upset with cheating devices or exploits. :P
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

tepples wrote:If you sold a closed gaming platform...
I don't, so... that's kind of a weird thing to predicate your response on. It wasn't what I was referring to at all, but nevertheless here's my flippant personal opinions as reply:
  • I think mods and hacking lead to great things. (...like this website we're on?)
  • Buying a VC game is a voluntary process for anyone who knows about emulators, they're not "competing" in the traditional sense.
  • Anti-piracy protection always punishes legitimate users in some way.
  • Cheating achievements is fine because achievements are stupid. ;)
Last edited by rainwarrior on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

0:03 Forehead Block Guy
1:36 LAN Master (and they spliced in Pipe Dream music)
2:14 Lawn Mower
3:47 Driar
5:33 I Wanna Flip the Sky
7:10 -> "Twisty Passages" begin
13:04 -> "Twisty Passages" end

They dubbed in other NES games' music.

Nearly half the video was spent trying to beat "Twisty Passages" in IWFTS. But only the comments section realized that the game is actually I Wanna VVVVVV the Guy. Others made comparisons to MetalStorm. And they compared FHBG's background to a Creeper from Minecraft. I wasn't aware of Hover Bovver or the detention minigame in Bully until commenters compared Lawn Mower to them. And apparently, Driar is a remake and reskin of Jet Set Willy.

I hope there's a part 3, because they have 10 games left.
thefox

Post by thefox »

tepples wrote:And apparently, Driar is a remake and reskin of Jet Set Willy.
Saw that comment too, really baffling because the games are very different.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Punch

Post by Punch »

Speaking of which when is the next nesdev compo? I'm eager to try to make a game and fail miserably again.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Drag

Post by Drag »

It's whenever we want it to be. If nobody cares about cash prizes or anything, we can just start one whenever.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

So it's kind of interesting to remember what led me to NesDev in the first place.

I have been following the TASVideos publications since 2008. I knew homebrew only a little bit since I bought a copy of Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril but I was focused on learning PC programing at that time so I didn't look much into it. Then in 2013 The TASVideos run of Streemerz was published. At first I was kind of confused about whatever or not Streemerz was an older game. It seemed to be related to action52 but the game quality was way beyond that infamous package. So a bit of link following and internet searching revealed that the Streemerz Bundle was being sold. So I quickly got that, and then proceeded to binge read the NesDev forums.

I had once seen the existence of NesDev in 2000 where the only things I remembered was the NSF file format and 6502.txt, but the fact that another programing compo that led to physical cartridges was just around the corner of 2014 was the biggest factor that led to me signing up here.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Unfortunately, they grew tired of it. This week's episode is about some wagon adventure game.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

The wagon game is pretty fun.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Drag

Post by Drag »

They may just be saving the last part for some other time. At least the wagon game is fun. :P
Black Zero

Post by Black Zero »

I must hand it to them though, if it weren't for James and Mike I would never have finished my game collection.
pubby

Post by pubby »

I actually found this site because of AVGN's Streemerz video. The exposure that they gave worked.
tepples wrote: Nearly half the video was spent trying to beat "Twisty Passages" in IWFTS.

[...]

I hope there's a part 3, because they have 10 games left.
I'm guessing that they played all of the games on the day that they filmed, but footage from the other games was cut out.