Playchoice 10 Game PCBs - looking for new games

The Membler Industries, Strangulation Games, and Strangulation Records forum.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: Playchoice 10 Game PCBs - looking for new games

Post by rainwarrior »

Playchoice 10 had a timer, though, which mitigated the design problem that a pause makes for an arcade game.

You want to keep buy-ins coming, so the player should be in constant peril Allowing a pause, even with a timeout, is not ideal. It's rest for the player, and you really should be trying to wear down their concentration to get them to lose (and feel like it's their fault).

However, once you're not longer motivated to design with quarter-eating in mind, that entire reason to avoid pause evaporates. It's rare to see it outside the commercial arcade setting. e.g. Dark Souls doesn't have a pause simply to increase the feeling of danger for the player.

Anyhow, that's what you're "hurting" by leaving in a pause: the quarter-eating factor. Whether or not this is a problem depends on what you're doing with this machine.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Joe wrote:
Memblers wrote:I dumped mine and it's not in the MAME set
Did you send it to the MAME developers?
I did. I also dumped the other 3 ROMs on the board (the character ROMs), but those ones matched the known set.

Thanks NovaSquirrel, after I build the instructions ROM I'll post some screenshots for your approval.

The original Playchoice games are 100% identical to the NES releases (AFAIK), except for Mike Tyson's Punchuot (which includes a battery, saves initials and times.. but annoyingly, doesn't show it in it's attract mode). So pausing and everything is allowed. The instructions on the control panel includes this warning:

Code: Select all

Note: Pressing START during game play stops the game.  Press START again to continue play.
Here's an image of the control panel (single-monitor version) if you want to see: (if the link doesn't work, google "playchoice control panel")
http://ci-cdn.23bits.com/_s/7/167/si-13 ... 37-960.jpg
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

If I finish my Windjammers-like game, this would be a fun avenue of release.
mbg

Post by mbg »

How did this project end up? I'd be interested in some homebrew pc10 carts. And I am in Indy :)