Planning

Moderator: Moderators

dougeff

Re: NesDev compo 2016

Post by dougeff »

what are you talking about?
Can we NOT go through this again, or at least start a new thread. Alp has his reasons. He's also a talented artist/programmer, so consider yourself lucky to not have the competition.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Punch

Post by Punch »

I just want as many programmers as possible making games, that's all.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I am glad to say I will be submitting an entry.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

I was going to ask when I get ready to post my entry, but since we're already getting some threads on the topic, I was wondering if anyone else thinks it could be nice to have a board for the compo.

My thoughts were that it would help consolidate information, and people wanting to know about the compo could easily browse the projects. I'd think we could sticky the rules for the compo, and then sticky finalized entries.

Not sure how much work it is to do that but figured I'd see if others thought it was a good idea.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I thought people generally stay quiet about their entries in these sort of competitions, and hoard source code from each other... but it seems like people are already sharing .cfg files, so I don't know, maybe we could have a sub-forum just for the compo.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Well, at least I'm not interested in winning. My only goal is submitting a nice game, have fun, and get published in a nice multicart. So I don't care sharing any info while I develop my entry.

I (We, as the Mojon Twins) are usually quiet while developing our games 'cause we usually don't have time to both code *and* tell about it ;)
never-obsolete

Post by never-obsolete »

A shirt with the NesDev logo on it would be cool. Is there any kind of restriction on using it?
. That's just like, your opinion, man .
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

About the compo rules, I've been examining the rules for the previous edition. I've noticed that the "anything goes" category allows for already existing games and stuff like that.

How does one prove that the game he's submitting has been created 100% for the compo? I also tend to reuse many routines and assets everytime I create a game, and I also have a framework which let's me start up new projects quite easily. I know this is usually a silly question, but could somebody ellaborate on what's considered to be acceptable as a compo entry and specifically makes an entry go to "anything goes"?

In the guidelines it just says "not released", but I find that a bit forgiving, or maybe a bit blurry. I have unreleased (as in almost nobody has seen it but the dev team and some friends) material nearing completion that I wrote last year, and I would consider it eligible as a proper entry, mainly out of honesty. I mean, if I were to submit such material, I would do it as an "anything goes" entry out of honesty, but as the rules/guidelines are defined, or as I understand that, there's no real restriction in this case and nothing forces me to do so.

Any thoughts?
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

na_th_an wrote: How does one prove that the game he's submitting has been created 100% for the compo?
Why does it have to?

By the way, when can we start posting stuff? We've hit a stopping point, and I would like to see if this rom works on real hardware.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

na_th_an wrote:About the compo rules, I've been examining the rules for the previous edition. I've noticed that the "anything goes" category allows for already existing games and stuff like that.

How does one prove that the game he's submitting has been created 100% for the compo? I also tend to reuse many routines and assets everytime I create a game, and I also have a framework which let's me start up new projects quite easily. I know this is usually a silly question, but could somebody ellaborate on what's considered to be acceptable as a compo entry and specifically makes an entry go to "anything goes"?

In the guidelines it just says "not released", but I find that a bit forgiving, or maybe a bit blurry. I have unreleased (as in almost nobody has seen it but the dev team and some friends) material nearing completion that I wrote last year, and I would consider it eligible as a proper entry, mainly out of honesty. I mean, if I were to submit such material, I would do it as an "anything goes" entry out of honesty, but as the rules/guidelines are defined, or as I understand that, there's no real restriction in this case and nothing forces me to do so.

Any thoughts?
The lines were kept blurry for a reason. It really is up to your own discretion. When we put in "not released" it was intended to exclude entries that had already been 100% completed, available to the mass public for distribution, or released on cartridge (not including one-off prototypes or small runs for friends etc). There hasn't been any rule against submitting something that you have been working on for years. I have mentioned before that you shouldn't wait for the next compo announcement to start working on your project. You can pretty much guarantee that there will always be an NROM category. Also, if there have been significant changes (as decided by judges) there shouldn't be anything holding you back from submitting in the main category.

As for the anything goes category, it is pretty self explanatory. Entries can include projects submitted in other contests, projects already released to the public that they would like included on the cartridge, and anything else that wouldn't fit into the NROM category.

I think one of the origins of this competition was to encourage people to finish and release their projects. We all have projects that are years in the making and in various states of completion. This is supposed to give a bit of incentive.

Also, feel free to make a build thread, feel free to do what you like. The only thing that will be judged is the final entry that is submitted. Not everyone has a support system that allows for feedback for their projects and this compo isn't intended to stand in the way of making your project better.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

Does anyone else find it really strange to abbreviate competition as compo? I've been thinking it was composition or maybe compilation (which would be just as wrong). Looks like we have a comp-o-tishon on our hands here, boys!
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

darryl.revok wrote:Does anyone else find it really strange to abbreviate competition as compo? I've been thinking it was composition or maybe compilation (which would be just as wrong). Looks like we have a comp-o-tishon on our hands here, boys!
Perhaps we should use compé?

I'm assuming it came from demoscene lingo?
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

I thought of that, but as an American, I'm obligated to dislike anything that seems French. Nothing I can do about it; it's in the contract. :D

I'm kidding of course, but in this country people really do hate France; pretty much the only country who had our backs from the beginning.

Whatever. Screw em all! Freedom fries woo!

Also, I looked at the demoscene thing, but what I couldn't find is why it's abbreviated with an O. They just skip over it. Obviously they're not as bothered by it.
Broke Studio
Formerly glutock

Post by Broke Studio »

I thought of that, but as an American, I'm obligated to dislike anything that seems French. Nothing I can do about it; it's in the contract. :D

I'm kidding of course, but in this country people really do hate France; pretty much the only country who had our backs from the beginning.

Whatever. Screw em all! Freedom fries woo!
I swear I'm a nice guy !
My first game : Twin Dragons available at Broke Studio.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

darryl.revok wrote:I thought of that, but as an American, I'm obligated to dislike anything that seems French. Nothing I can do about it; it's in the contract. I'm kidding of course, but in this country people really do hate France; pretty much the only country who had our backs from the beginning.Whatever. Screw em all! Freedom fries woo!
I honestly have no clue what you're talking about.