large-scale video game embroideries

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

large-scale video game embroideries

Post by FrankenGraphics »

A museum i'm consulting and contracting for on and off is doing this exhibition this summer. Thought it might interest some here. :)
Myask

Re: large-scale video game embroideries

Post by Myask »

Indeed, interesting.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

I went to the vernissage and took a few pics
Attachments
IMG_0375_crop.jpg
IMG_0381_crop.jpg
IMG_0373.JPG
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Some more. If anyone wants to see more, i can upload it.
Attachments
IMG_0388_crop.jpg
IMG_0379_crop.jpg
IMG_0378_crop.jpg
freem

Post by freem »

The Gimmick! pictures suffer from PAL diagonal lines :( but everything else looks wonderful, especially that Yoshi's Island one.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I first thought the diagonal lines were intentional, but now that you mentioned it, they're suspiciously absent from all other pictures. Those lines are really strong... Is PAL output really like that?
freem

Post by freem »

Maybe it's not exactly as I remember, and perhaps it's a design choice on the part of the artist. (edit: or a structural choice defined by the medium used... there are a lot of possible variables in play here)

I probably shouldn't be using emulation for this example, but I don't have access to any PAL hardware; the FCEUX PAL filter looks something like this:

edit: I didn't use Gimmick! as an example because I don't feel like trying to get to one of the later levels shown in the pictures.
tepples

Post by tepples »

That and embroidery has different kinds of fill stitch used in different circumstances. Perhaps whoever made this just chose the diagonal fill stitch in areas that would be most strongly affected by diagonal artifacts.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I don't think this has anything at all to do with diagonal artifacts. Just a style choice deliberately applies to the background areas of the picture only.

How do you use a PAL filter with FCEUX? I don't see an option for it in the video settings.
freem

Post by freem »

rainwarrior wrote:I don't think this has anything at all to do with diagonal artifacts. Just a style choice deliberately applies to the background areas of the picture only.
Yeah, I just realized that after I had made the post; didn't think it through fully. :s
rainwarrior wrote:How do you use a PAL filter with FCEUX? I don't see an option for it in the video settings.
It was added in one of the 2.2.3 development versions, I think. (I can't tell which one exactly because I didn't have svn installed on the VM I did the compile on.)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

What do you mean by "developement versions"? (There is the in-development version from sourceforge, but it has no PAL filter, unless I'm missing something.)

Here's an un-emulated playthrough of Gimmick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmCTUA-kSSY

It's not on a CRT though (are PAL diagonal artifacts caused by signal generation like NTSC, or are they dependent on the CRT?) and it's kind of oversaturated, but there's not even a hint of diagonal lines in the background.

Strangely though, in the forest area picture the ground at the bottom seems to be horizontally flipped, I think in an attempt to make it match the diagonal pattern that was applied to the rest of the background.
tepples

Post by tepples »

If there are diagonal artifacts in PAL, and they're dependent on anything, they'd be dependent on the means of color decoding. There's a "simple" method that's like NTSC decoding and a "full" method using a delay line. Some cheaper TVs used the simple method to work around Telefunken's patent on the delay line.
freem

Post by freem »

(at the risk of driving this even more off topic...)
rainwarrior wrote:What do you mean by "developement versions"? (There is the in-development version from sourceforge, but it has no PAL filter, unless I'm missing something.)
I built it from the source code in SVN; it looks like the PAL filter was added in revision 3112; The setting should be in Config -> Video -> Special Filter, at the bottom of the list. (I should probably update to see if this is still the case, or if it got removed later.)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Ah, I see, it was disabled in 3195.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Here's what that area of Gimmick looks like with that filter.
gimmick_fceux_pal_filter.png
I found another video of PAL vs Gimmick, this time on a CRT (though with an NTSC cart, not that this should affect the PAL picture artifacts): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOnsYmKkuio
The picture quality is kinda poor and saturated again, but still no sign of diagonal lines in the sky.