It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:26 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
Hm. So, it is an electrolytic capacitor inside the zapper there, and so probably has a typical Equivalent Series Resistance of somewhere around 10Ω, give or take.

Yes. It's hard to see the whole board because it's surrounded by a metal shield that's soldered on, but I can see 4 electrolytic capacitors (the two I can see clearly are 10uf 16V) and one tiny little ceramic 102.

lidnariq wrote:
But given how much effort this takes

It sounds like it takes some effort maybe for quietust's but on mine basically any pull that isn't swift has a good chance to creates a dirty trigger signal. Someone with arthritis would be causing spurious bits with this for sure.

lidnariq wrote:
So if you somehow manage to keep your finger right on the near edge of the make/break threshold

The "click" point is a natural resting position because there's mechanical resistance at the click, so it's rather easy for me to feel it and cause it to fire short bursts. It would actually feel really good as a rapid-fire trigger mechanism if I could use it in a game, since I don't have to push nearly as hard as the full zap to cross its threshold.

If the pull between the initial "click" and the "hold" position is not fast there's a high probability of some 0s appearing in between the 1s from the click and the 1s from the hold position.

lidnariq wrote:
muscle tremors

It doesn't really require such fine motion as that. Basically just doing the "click" causes a few 1s to happen (generally 1-3 frames), and on either side of the click is 0s. On the inside it's this dead spot between the click and the "hold" position that's really easy for me to reach with a slow pull.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:51 am 

rainwarrior wrote:
It doesn't really require such fine motion as that. Basically just doing the "click" causes a few 1s to happen (generally 1-3 frames), and on either side of the click is 0s. On the inside it's this dead spot between the click and the "hold" position that's really easy for me to reach with a slow pull.
At least on my zapper, I can never get that to happen. There's a little bit of physical hysteresis in the microswitch in the zapper; having played with your program for a few minutes, I never saw fewer than three 1s in a row.

Microswitches do wear out. Losing that hysteresis would be the behavior I'd expect of a worn-out one.