Press Your Luck

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Press Your Luck

Post by tepples »

I covered two songs from the 1980s game show Press Your Luck in FamiTracker.

1. Title
2. Big Board

Identify the Easter egg in Big Board to win a cookie.
Attachments
Press Your Luck.nsf
(7.38 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
Myask

Re: Press Your Luck

Post by Myask »

[educated-guess] Is it "hit bass when Whammy hilit" for one of the board configurations? If so, is it one of the five Michael Larson board configurations?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Clue 1 of 3: It's not related to Michael Larson or the light pattern. I don't think the beeps in PYL's Big Board theme are even synchronized to the light pattern. Nor, to my knowledge, do their pitches (D, E, G, B♭, D, A♭, F, C, E♭, D, B, A, C♯, E, F♯, A) have any import.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Clue 2 of 3: The Big Board is a 6x5-cell grid, of which only the 18 spaces on the perimeter are used. The unused 4x3 cells in the center are used to show the contestant's face.

A Power Pad also has 4x3 cells. What else does, across all Nintendo cartridge-based home consoles?
Myask

Post by Myask »

tepples wrote:Clue 2 of 3: The Big Board is a 6x5-cell grid, of which only the 18 spaces on the perimeter are used. The unused 4x3 cells in the center are used to show the contestant's face.

A Power Pad also has 4x3 cells. What else does, across all Nintendo cartridge-based home consoles?
The wii menucartridge-based
the DS home screen's "active menu" cells, 5x6(not equal) with 3x4 squares for the "main" menu items" home console
…I don't think you mean the 12 buttons of the SNES, as that's not "4x3 cells" but 12x1.
The N64's controller wires are 3, of which there are 4 ports, but I have no idea how to render it musically.

I don't think I know.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Clue 3 of 3: You want to stop on the blue Whammy when it says "quack".
tepples

Post by tepples »

Answer: The Big Board theme was mashed up with the music from "Mole Patrol" in Super Scope 6. Not only does Mole Patrol.spc (listen) sound reminiscent of the Big Board, but even the moles reportedly look like the Whammy.

This cookie goes back to Orteil