It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Related:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:58 pm 

Just another reason why the way tiles are laid out for sprites is dumb.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:25 am 

I would have said it was the only reason. The OBJ table format is nice for visualization; any sprite, regardless of size, looks the same in VRAM as it does on the screen. The trouble is that this format was designed for the Famicom, which used CHR-ROM and thus didn't have to worry about setting up the OBJ graphics with DMA at runtime...

Unless you're referring to the way you can only use 16 kB at a time. That's kinda unfortunate too...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:27 am 

The format is also bad in my opinion because it makes the sprite thing I devised more complicated. The format is definitely better suited to CHR ROM systems where you actually care about how tiles are arranged in rom. Visualization doesn't matter in ram where everything is constantly changing, or at least that's my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:30 am 

One thing that could help is if the sprites are laid out in ROM so that for each metasprite, you would only need to set the source address once. I would've set it up like this, if only I knew that I was going to use the 32x32 and 16x16 slots method. Before that, I was using arbitrary sized rectangles, and the sprite frames were still left in the ROM in that format, with the 32x32 and 16x16 slot method being hacked on.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:33 am 

You guys might hate me for this, but ...

psycopathicteen wrote:
Today I just thought of a new animation scheme that fixes most of the issues I've had with previous techniques.

Use 8x8 and 16x16 sprites. Each VRAM slot be the size of 2 16x16 sprites. Metasprites can use as many slots as they want.

... huh, what?! :?:

Am I the only one here who thinks that throwing out some, any random idea that crosses your mind and possibly (i.e., hopefully) makes sense within the context of your own codebase™ but totally fails to deliver as a starting post of a SNESdev thread -- which I'd expect to be informative/talkative/questionable/inquiring/asking for help, or whatever meaningful content you might have in store for me -- is just useless? Or even silly?

Seriously, what the heck??? :?

(See my GitHub profile for more)