Found a SNES LoROM board design

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
mmz16x

Found a SNES LoROM board design

Post by mmz16x »

Hello everyone I found a SNES LoROM board design on OSHPARK and was wondering if I had it made would it work with most games?

secound using this file as a template how would I re'design it to make it compatable with HiROM based games? also be able to the 139 chips as I dont like stripping old boards for parts and make it use 322's and not the now expensive 801's :P all help and advice is greatly appreciated

P.S. This was designed by a guy named X-Death I take no credit what so ever for his work and only look to work with or build on top of it thank you.

Link
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/8hPhOcxf
lidnariq

Re: Found a SNES LoROM board design

Post by lidnariq »

SNES game paks are mostly simple enough that designing one is really only a demonstration of whether or not you're familiar with a piece of PCB CAD software.

(The exceptions are the coprocessor-based ones)

A "1A0N" board like the one pictured is very easy once you've got the basics of CAD down.

The annoying part comes from:
- There are no still-in-manufacture DIP EEPROMs larger than 4 Mibit / 512 KiB
- There are no still-in-manufacture 5V EEPROMs larger than 16 Mibit / 2 MiB (and that one's a TSSOP)
- The most available 4MiB UVEPROM 27C322 only supports 16 bits of data at a time, so you have to add external parts (e.g. http://romlaboratory.dbwbp.com/romlab/27c322_8.htm )
sanni

Post by sanni »

Me personally I can't understand why people still use very old and used Eproms when you can get new old stock factory sealed 29F032 4MB 5V flashroms on ebay from time to time(just buy bulk when they become available) that can be programmed with nothing more than an Arduino.

Sure best case scenario would be if they were still in production but for now at least they are still available.
mmz16x

Post by mmz16x »

i prefer the 322 as tbh my solder skill for the 29f032 isnt that great i killed 2 awhile back trying to drag solder :P also does anyone have a schematic or diagram to follow for wiring a 322 to a 139 i wanna be able to make Tales OP or DQ3 as they got translated and wanna play them on old hardware :D any help is greatly appreciated.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I suppose it could be the way it's rendered on there, but it looks like that PCB might not work. On the vias, the holes look like the same size or bigger than the via pads. You could maybe modify the drill file though, assuming there is still a pad under there.

To answer what you asked about using it as a template, you can't. Files on OSHPark AFAIK are in Gerber format, which is an industry standard for manufacturing. You can't edit that format (not easily anyways), just export to it. Though I suppose you could email the creator and see if they'll share their design files, assuming it's from a CAD program you have access to.
mmz16x

Post by mmz16x »

ok i will try and see if I can edit it im hopeful that I can as I want to in the end after I finish this project supply the files out free'ly so anyone can enjoy translated games :)
Markfrizb

Post by Markfrizb »

mmz16x wrote:ok i will try and see if I can edit it im hopeful that I can as I want to in the end after I finish this project supply the files out free'ly so anyone can enjoy translated games :)

Just wanted to give you another option on pcbs... https://mortoffgames.com/homebrew-equiptment.html
mmz16x

Post by mmz16x »

hmmm thats kinda like what i wanna make but the design has no save battery :P and im aware of retrostage boards to but there out of stock but what im after is the fun of learning to make these boards and then share what i learn :)
Markfrizb

Post by Markfrizb »

mmz16x wrote:hmmm thats kinda like what i wanna make but the design has no save battery :P and im aware of retrostage boards to but there out of stock but what im after is the fun of learning to make these boards and then share what i learn :)

Those boards are a much high quality and functionality than RetroStages boards. But I totality know what you mean about wanting to learn how to do this. A few years ago, I knew NOTHING about board design but persistence pays off. Have fun. It's been an interesting ride :)
getafixx

Post by getafixx »

Markfrizb wrote: Those boards are a much high quality and functionality than RetroStages boards.
Functionally, perhaps, as those boards have the option of having multi-carts. But "higher quality"?... I think you might be a little biased there Mark, seeing as those were your boards you linked to.
Markfrizb

Post by Markfrizb »

getafixx wrote:
Markfrizb wrote: Those boards are a much high quality and functionality than RetroStages boards.
Functionally, perhaps, as those boards have the option of having multi-carts. But "higher quality"?... I think you might be a little biased there Mark, seeing as those were your boards you linked to.
I am a bit biased, but being biased doesn't make it not true. I could site issues/specifics but won't here. I believe my pcbs are the best you can get in todays market, not to mention the easiest to use, and don't randomly reset.
ichigobankai

Post by ichigobankai »

- There are no still-in-manufacture DIP EEPROMs larger than 4 Mibit / 512 KiB [...]
False ; search AT27C080
I believe my pcbs are the best you can get in todays market, not to mention the easiest to use, and don't randomly reset.
Huge lol, thanks for that.
A little bit too full of yourself ?

+1 with getafixx
X-death

Post by X-death »

Hi all,
I'm X-death ( bastien) the creator of the PCB ^^
I can confirme PCB works fine here is a picture :

It's an old pcb i have made 4 years ago , one of my first prototype.
Sure it's not the Best Snes pcb you could make , but it's works fine for all mod i have made with it.

for CIC it's made for classic CIC use , but you can use CIC Clone with some redirection ( just like the picture).

i can share gerber if you want to use other pcb maker.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

ichigobankai wrote:
lidnariq wrote:- There are no still-in-manufacture DIP EEPROMs larger than 4 Mibit / 512 KiB [...]
False ; search AT27C080
Pedantically...
No, that's an OTP EPROM. It's not erasable unless you have access to an X-ray machine, and who knows how well it'll work afterwards.
mmz16x

Post by mmz16x »

heck yes if you can supply any data that would be awsome!! and by chance do you have a snes board design that uses a m27c322 thats what ive been having trouble understanding how to put into the initial design that you made.